16 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2017 6:12 PM by ironmountainfilms

Multicam editing with multi-track audio?

dndden

Does anyone know how to do multicam editing with multi-track audio?  Apparently, the multicam editor can only see Audio Track #1 in the Source Sequence.  I tried mixing my original audio tracks #1, #2, and #3 (submixes) to the master audio track in the Source Sequence and if I listen to the new Multicam Sequence (the nested Source Sequence) all 3 original audio tracks are there (combined), but when I go to do the multicam edit in the multicam monitor window, I"m back to just Audio Track #1 of the Source Sequence and audio tracks #2 and #3 are missing ???  Thanks for your help!

• 1. Re: Multicam editing with multi-track audio?
          Jim_Simon Level 8

When cutting, you're limited to Audio 1, or Audio Follows Video (whichever track you see is the track you hear).  Once the piece is cut, you can manipulate the audio according to your needs.

• 2. Re: Multicam editing with multi-track audio?
            LluisV Level 1

May be you can move all audio tracks to another sequence and insert the audio of this sequence as audio track one in the multitrack sequence.

• 3. Re: Multicam editing with multi-track audio?
              matthewmc

With multicam, V1 and A1 are linked, V2 and A2, and so on.  Cant change that, and it does make sense if you think about it. Your work around is to nest all your original audio files (no need for video tracks). Take the audio only of that sequence and replace each of your audio tracks in your base multicam sequence. If you have 2 camera, then put it in A1 and A2. With 3 cameras, do A1, 2, and 3...

• 4. Re: Multicam editing with multi-track audio?
                Bill Engeler Level 2

Slightly kludgy,,,,,but this is what I do (CS4 and CS5):

In the sequence with all the source clips, I keep track Audio 1 empty.  Just add an audio track before all others.  Then I manipulate the audio tracks to get my desired mix.

In the target multicam sequence,  Alt-click audio track 1, then choose Multi-track/disable. This track will have the mixed audio from the source sequence.  The trick is to copy and paste this track to audio 2, then disable audio one.  If you don't put it on track 2, it tends to get overwritten.

• 5. Re: Multicam editing with multi-track audio?
                  davidbeisner2010 Level 3

What I usually do is sync all my clips in the base timeline to get ready to make my multicam edit, then do whatever audio editing I need to do to bring in the mix I want the way I want it. Then I go to File>Export Media and choose an audio-only format (usually use AAC or uncompressed WAV) and export a stereo mix. Then I import that stereo mix back into my bin and create a new stereo track above Track 1 (bumps the others down) then put that new stereo file into track 1 and proceed with my multicam edit. Seems to be the quickest solution for me, though it does involve a few steps.

• 6. Re: Multicam editing with multi-track audio?
                    Mark Morreau Level 2

This is exactly my workflow too.

• 7. Re: Multicam editing with multi-track audio?
                      Macphil11

I just ran into this very problem:

Interview, 3 cams, 2 audio tracks (that are stuck to  one camera, but thats the way we want this to be: 2 people talkin, two audio tracks!)

Now what? Stereo export? But what if I need to cut right where the one cuts into the other??

Thanks for the workarounds, but, puh... That is at least soemthing adobe has to work on!

• 8. Re: Multicam editing with multi-track audio?
                        ExactImage Level 3

We create the multicam sequence, unlink the audio and delete it.  Go to the source sequence, select all the audio, unlink and copy it.  Go back to the multicam sequence and paste.  Now you have all your original audio in the multicam sequence and you can cut/mix as you please.

• 9. Re: Multicam editing with multi-track audio?
                          Colin Brougham Level 6

There's a far easier way to do this: after you sync your angles, hold down Alt/Opt and select or lasso just the video portions of the clips, and nest those. The audio stays put, but the video moves into the nest, and you can then enable Multicam on the nested sequence.

One of the best things about this is that it circumvents Premiere Pro's totally BS "Render Required Files" nonsense.

• 10. Re: Multicam editing with multi-track audio?
                            ExactImage Level 3

Colin, I learn a new shortcut every week.....   Thanks.

• 11. Re: Multicam editing with multi-track audio?
                              Macphil11 Level 1

But: how do you make the audio Tracks come along, when you start using Multi-cut? That is: they are left uncut.

• 13. Re: Multicam editing with multi-track audio?
                                ExactImage Level 3

Macphil11 wrote:

But: how do you make the audio Tracks come along, when you start using Multi-cut? That is: they are left uncut.

The whole idea is that you have uncut audio stems to work with.   If you want to cut the audio later and grab just parts of the video/audio then simply hold the shift key while cutting and all tracks cut at the same time.

• 14. Re: Multicam editing with multi-track audio?
                                  Patrick@phiglobal

I have run the gambit of different techniques. The one that is most efficient is listed in Colin Brougham's response number 9

There's a far easier way to do this: after you sync your angles, hold down Alt/Opt and select or lasso just the video portions of the clips, and nest those. The audio stays put, but the video moves into the nest, and you can then enable Multicam on the nested sequence.

One of the best things about this is that it circumvents Premiere Pro's totally BS "Render Required Files" nonsense.

I must admit the ALT lasso tip was one of the best features I have seen. Like a revelation when I discovered it some months ago while watching a tutorial about something not related. As far as the "Rendering required files" That was kicking my but for a while doing multicam editing. If you do edit both audio and video in multicam you might find the "Rendering required files" issue. Basically the problem stems from having a lot of cuts to process at the same time both audio and video. 1080P is a huge amount of data when you multiply it by four cameras plus multiple audio cuts and effects ,(audio gain, Deessing etc.) So Pre-rendering the audio by clicking in the main sync timeline and then at the top Click Sequence/Render Audio.This takes care of the issue when you are cutting multiple tracks at once. It is a good practice to work from a main sync sequence and then copy that to a new sequence  preserving the main sequence as unchanged. I found the solution is to "render audio" only in the master sync sequence this will then pass through to all subsequent copies that are made "downstream" allowing you to easily clean up anything. If you make a mistake you can always start from the main sync sequence and not lose too much time. Takes a little bit of time to render but once that is done you can cut all tracks video and audio like butter. I have been doing a lot of 1080p multicam editing over this past year and had quite learning curve. Most of the work I do is multicam editing by choice it is much faster for me to edit this way because I am used to working in live events where we need to look at all shots at the same time make a "best choice" and keep rolling. Have fun with it!

• 15. Re: Multicam editing with multi-track audio?
                                    helispot

I used the method from Bill Engeler and loved it.  Worked just the way I wanted.  FYI.

• 16. Re: Multicam editing with multi-track audio?
                                      ironmountainfilms

Yes, I second that.  Leaving Audio 1 empty in source seq totally works.  Bill Engeler, you rock!  How the hell did you figure it out? I did this after the multicam sequence was cut.  Had two tracks of audio, lav mic and boom.  Shoved them down to Audio 2 and 3 in source sequence.  Went into multicam edit, enabled multicam in each audio track and then could switch audio tracks by using Cam 2 and Cam 3.  Without this procedure, multicam audio will be mix of your tracks with no control.  You can even flatten each track if you're done. Thanks, Bill!