7 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2011 7:19 AM by Todd_Kopriva

cs5.5 AE broke my cs5 AE

cjacs987654 Level 1

I have master collection CS5 installed. I installed Master collection cs5.5 trial. It reported I had 25 warnings 5 errors exit code 6. Adobe chat

staff said it was ok, they are aware of the errors my applications will work.(anyone else had this?)

Went into CS5.5 AE imported a piece of video with sound, played it back - NO SOUND! - the audio icon is ON

Went back to CS5 AE - still no sound - the cs5.5 install seems to have effected CS5 somehow despite promises by Adobe staff that

cs5.5 would install in its own directory

Prem Pro CS5 and CS5.5 both play the same video back with the sound OK

Help!

Regards

Chris Anderson

• 1. Re: cs5.5 AE broke my cs5 AE
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> Adobe chatstaff said it was ok, they are aware of the errors my applications will work.

Please provide me the case number for the interaction that you has with our technical support staff so that I can follow up with them and make sure that they're giving correct information.

> Went into CS5.5 AE imported a piece of video with sound, played it back - NO SOUND! - the audio icon is ON

What are the exact steps that you are taking to play audio? What, exactly, are you clicking, and in what order?

• 2. Re: cs5.5 AE broke my cs5 AE
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

There's more information about the "Exit Code 6" error messages and some proposed solutions to the problems here:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/843/cpsid_84332.html

This exit code means that the installation has errors.

As I said, if you give me your case number for the technical support case in which you were told that these message weren't a problem, I'll be able to follow up on that specific case.

It also helps if you give us more information, such as what operating system you're using.

• 3. Re: cs5.5 AE broke my cs5 AE
              cjacs987654 Level 1

Todd,

Many thanks for your reply. The case no is

I have the transcript of the chat if you need me to email it to you. I also have the detailed error/warning report that the install produced. But I believe this is on the adobe system as your colleague asked me to run Adobe SUpport Tool and it submitted

info to adobe.

My op system is Windows 7 64bit Ultimate - windows updates right up to date. Norton anti virus 360 - all updates applied.

The steps I took to replicate the problem and to confirm the movie clip had sound was.

1. Run Prem Pro cs5 - create project - import file - add to timeline by dragging - playback - sound OK

2. As above with cs5.5 - sound ok

3. Run After Effects cs5 - create comp - import same file - add to layer by dragging. Made sure audio icon is switched on - playback - no sound (video is fine)

4. As above with cs5 - exact same problem

I might add that before install of Master Collection CS5-5 my cs5 installation was working fine.

The movie clip was short, just about 15 seconds.

Also , if I run the movie clip in any other viewer on my PC, sound is ok.

Let me know if you want any more details

Thanks for your help

Chris

ps The adobe account is in my wifes name in case you were wondering.

• 4. Re: cs5.5 AE broke my cs5 AE
                cjacs987654 Level 1

Todd

Since my last message to you, and waiting for a reply, I have uninstalled cs5.5 trial master collection.

That has not resolved my problem, so i currently have my purchased cs5 master collection installation and after effects cs5 still gives no sound.

As I said earlier premieroe pro cs5 and cs5.5 are ok - sound is fine.

I tried adobe support they said they could not support trial versions. Adobe chat said contact support so I am going around in circles

and my working copy of after effetcs doesnt anymore!

Help!!!! I cant do any work!!

Chris Anderson

• 5. Re: cs5.5 AE broke my cs5 AE
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> I tried adobe support they said they could not support trial versions.

I recommend calling Technical Support again and insisting that they help you, since it is not the trial version that is broken---it is your fully paid for CS5 software that is broken. If they dispute this, point them to this forum thread so that they can see that I am the one recommending this.

One thing that might have happened is that somehow your audio preferences were messed up. I recommend resetting your preferences, as described here.

• 6. Re: cs5.5 AE broke my cs5 AE
                    cjacs987654 Level 1

Hi Todd

Thanks again for your reply.

I rang them yesterday and this time they helped and resolved the sound issue. I feel embarrassed, but it wasnt the install of cs5 trial at all, it was just a co-incidence. I didnt know this,  but I was advised the normal 'play' button in the preview window in AE does not play back sound! - you have to use the ram review play button to get sound. Bit confusing to me because thats not the way Prem pro works (and I never 'lost' sound in PP).

However I still have the error exit code 6 with 5 errors/25 warnings. Did you find out anything about that? - chat support said adobe was aware of it and not to worry. In the meantime I have un-installed the trial and re-installed and i get the same error report. Call me old fashioned, but i like a 'clean' no errors/no warnings install. I did see on the adobe site there is a 'clean up' tool to clear out any unwanted compopnents/registry entries etc but i see it is only for

the mac - I have windows 7 -64bit ultimate.

Just as a matter of interest, they didnt charge me for the support. The software was purchased July 2010, do we get free support for a period of time?

Regards

Chris

• 7. Re: cs5.5 AE broke my cs5 AE
                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8

>  I didnt know this,  but I was advised the normal 'play' button in the preview window in AE does not play back sound! - you have to use the ram review play button to get sound. Bit confusing to me

FAQ: How can I play or preview sound (audio)?

Please start here to learn After Effects, so that you know when something is broken versus working as expected.

> However I still have the error exit code 6 with 5 errors/25 warnings. Did you find out anything about that? - chat support said adobe was aware of it and not to worry.

If you've encountered errors installing CS5.5 Production Premium or Master Collection, see this.