9 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2011 3:12 PM by Colin Brougham

Exporting Titles Only

SDCone Level 1

Hi there,

A feature of mine is having it's HD Master made at Technicolor at the end of the week and I want to get all the information I can about exporting titles only. A while back I exported picture only as a AJA Quicktime 10-bit and it was exactly what they needed to color correct. While I sent them a titles test over the weekend, and should hear back from them today, I also wanted to get input from the Forum on the best way to do this. What I did for the test, which I will find out was either successful or not, was delete everything except the titles and export the same way I did picture. However, I expect there may be an issue with the 3 titles that are over picture (everything else over black). Any advice for exporting titles only (mostly white on black, except for the aforementioned 3) as a Quicktime AJA 10-bit, to be laid over picture?

Also, perhaps some suggestions on some Plan Bs and Cs, just in case I get out there and the timeline doesn't quite cut it for those 3 titles. Oh, right: I am exporting and flying out, so won't have access to my system, though will take the Premiere project file with me, just in case.

Thanks for any suggestions you can provide! Exporting tonight!

Stephen

• 1. Re: Exporting Titles Only
          Jim_Simon Level 8

The first thing that comes to mind is to recreate the titles in Photoshop.  That gives you a LOT more freedom than you'd have otherwise.

• 2. Re: Exporting Titles Only
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Stephen,

The limitations with Titles from PrPro are that they exist in the XML of the PRPROJ file now (as of about Pr 6.0), and not as discrete files. The exception is when one Exports a Title as a Template, for use in other Projects. However, this does not really help beyond use in PrPro, since no other program can Import and edit a PRTL file - unless that has been added in PS 5.5, but I highly doubt that.

While Titler is a powerful tool, the above limitations come into play. I use Jim's method of creating the titles in PS, and then Importing them into PrPro as PSD's (either Layered, as a Sequence, or Flattened).

Your Export method is about the best that I can think of for your specific needs.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Exporting Titles Only
              SDCone Level 1

Thank you both for your responses. The fact is that the titles are ready to go, I'm pleased with them, they are lengthy and I have to export ASAP. I'm guessing that when Technicolor gets in touch they will inform me that the white on black titles are good to go but my 3 titles over picture are black-on-black and unworkable. So just trying to figure out how to fly to Los Angeles with at least one successful solution for that 15 second clip with titles over image. We shall see...

Thanks!

Stephen

• 4. Re: Exporting Titles Only
                shooternz Level 6

I would have created them in AEFX and exported seq files in

a format that the lab specified for the purpose.  eg Dimension , PAR , tiff /tga / other etc.

Its actually very simple to do.

• 5. Re: Exporting Titles Only
                  Colin Brougham Level 6

Pop out the eyeballs on all but your title tracks; all you want to see are the titles on transparency. It'll look like they're on black, but it's actually not--it's transparent. Export all or chunks of your sequence as either an uncompressed AVI or MOV, being sure to select the 32-bit option where available. That's an RGBA export, and you can then just lay it over the rest of the video and it'll key over, just like the original titles did.

• 6. Re: Exporting Titles Only
                    SDCone Level 1

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Unfortunately, I don't own either Photoshop or After Effects (I'm aware this should change) and am just concerned at this point about the 3 titles over image, not the export of the white on black.

Is it possible and/or recommended to create an alpha channel with a 10-bit AJA Quicktime export?

Thanks,

Stephen

• 7. Re: Exporting Titles Only
                      SDCone Level 1

Very helpful, Colin. We got our responses crossed, otherwise I would've worked off of your response.

I'll be interested to see what Technicolor says when they look at my test. Do you think there's any chance I pulled off transparency unintentionally? Is popping out the eyeballs something that's required for transparency?

And lastly, re: the RGBA, are you recommending I not export as an AJA 10-bit Quicktime?

Thanks!

Stephen

PS - You've been very helpful in the past, as well as the present. Thanks for this.

• 8. Re: Exporting Titles Only
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Is popping out the eyeballs something that's required for transparency?

No. That just enables/disables other Tracks, so that one can Export, say just the Track with Titles (or other), as all other Video Tracks are effectively disabled.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Exporting Titles Only
                          Colin Brougham Level 6

Stephen,

We commonly think of a Premiere Pro sequence as having a black background, since that's what you see in the Program Monitor. In actuality, this "black" is 100% transparency. Ordinarily, it's not much of an issue, since you're typically filling the sequence's "window" with whatever pixels your video image provides. However, if you place a clip with an alpha channel (like a title, for example) in the sequence or you somehow manipulate a clip such that it creates an alpha channel (for example, you scale a clip down to 75%), you can preserve the alpha channel on export. However, that is limited to a number of formats and codecs; typically, you need an uncompressed output at 32 bits per channel (that is, 8 bits per color channel of red, green, blue, and alpha, or RGBA) to do this.

The AJA codec (or at least the one you have access to when you use the Uncompressed Microsoft AVI format) does not have support for an alpha channel. If you use Microsoft AVI or QuickTime as the Format and select "None" for the codec, you'll have the option to export with 32 bits per channel, and preserve the alpha channel. This is a (practically) universal format, so you'd be pretty safe in using it.