11 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2011 3:33 AM by pauland

Flex on Ipad?

Say_Cheese :)

Hi Guys,
      I need to test and fix the site pages to work on an Ipad. The site is already built with Table based Layout and has the Flex in it.

I have couple of doubts.

1. Can flex application run on Ipad? The application is already built in Flex. Will it work on ipad?
      2. How to test the ipad application on a regular PC, I don't have a real Ipad to test?
      3. How to test the application for both orientations (Portrait and Landscape)
      4. Will table based sites render well on Ipad?
      5. Suggest Best ways of fixing the issues encountered for Ipad? Shall I convert the existing application pages to html5?
      6. Which browser to target/test in for ipad keeping in mind the user base.

Appreciate your responses/work around for the above queries.

Best.......Vicky

• 1. Re: Flex on Ipad?
          UbuntuPenguin Level 4

There is no flashplayer plugin for the I-series mac products (Ipad,Iphone).  So no, to all of your questions.  But I do remember there being something that would convert Flex apps to HTML5, but I haven't looked into it.

• 2. Re: Flex on Ipad?
            ipauland

Say_Cheese wrote:

Hi Guys,
            I need to test and fix the site pages to work on an Ipad. The site is already built with Table based Layout and has the Flex in it.

I have couple of doubts.

1. Can flex application run on Ipad? The application is already built in Flex. Will it work on ipad?

No. The iPad doesn't run Flash.

2. How to test the ipad application on a regular PC, I don't have a real Ipad to test?

You would need an iPad.

5. Suggest Best ways of fixing the issues encountered for Ipad? Shall I convert the existing application pages to html5?

Can't be a very sophisticated app if conversion is so easy.

6. Which browser to target/test in for ipad keeping in mind the user base.

Safari.

Seriously, it's madness to develop for a tablet of any kind if you don't have one. Touch device interaction is way differrent to a mouse based system.

Paul

• 3. Re: Flex on Ipad?
              UbuntuPenguin Level 4

MADNESS !?

THIS-IS-RIA-DEVELOPMENT *screams Ubuntu Penguin before kicking IPauland into /dev/null*

• 4. Re: Flex on Ipad?
                Say_Cheese :) Level 1

http://ipadpeek.com/ -  I heard this site simulates the ipad environment? Ipad can not run flex apps But I could see my flex app is running on this site. any clue?

• 5. Re: Flex on Ipad?
                  ipauland Level 1

Say_Cheese :) wrote:

http://ipadpeek.com/ -  I heard this site simulates the ipad environment? Ipad can not run flex apps But I could see my flex app is running on this site. any clue?

Yes. My clue is that it runs flash and therefore flex and does not simulate an iPad very well.

• 6. Re: Flex on Ipad?
                    ipauland Level 1

UbuntuPenguin wrote:

MADNESS !?

THIS-IS-RIA-DEVELOPMENT *screams Ubuntu Penguin before kicking IPauland into /dev/null*

Thanks for the trip to /dev/null, but it doesn't make my advice any the less usefull. Anyone trying to develop for a tablet of any kind without having experience of the differrence between using touch devices and mouse-driven devices is in for a shock, whatever the forum is called.

You can't just transfer RIAs built for use with a mouse and expect to make tablet users happy (and that's ignoring all the other issues mobile devices have).

• 7. Re: Flex on Ipad?
                      UbuntuPenguin Level 4

I wasn't ragging on your response.  I was alluding to the movie "The 300".

• 8. Re: Flex on Ipad?
                        ipauland Level 1

UbuntuPenguin wrote:

I wasn't ragging on your response.  I was alluding to the movie "The 300".

LOL, some of us haven't watched it!

• 9. Re: Flex on Ipad?
                          ipauland Level 1

Vicky, I should just offer this last advice.

Searching for ways to test a Flex application on an iPad, is wasting your time. It will not work.

Desktop applications don't just transfer directly to a tablet environment. If they are written in a HTML based technology, they may run, but it won't be the best experience for a touch-based interface.

If you are serious about supporting tablets of any description, you need to buy one for testing purposes, but don't waste your money and time expecting Flex to run on an iPad inside a browser.

You could convert your app to be a native app using the Air/iOS packager in Flash Builder 4.5, but you will need a real tablet and to rethink your approach to UI design.

Good luck.

Paul

• 10. Re: Flex on Ipad?
                            daslicht Level 2

Can you simply install a iOS app created with Flex 4.5 on an iPad ?

• 11. Re: Flex on Ipad?
                              pauland Level 4

I understand the 4.5 iOS packager will build an IOS app for you. The mechanism may be quite simple, but there are restrictions and most Flex apps designed for the desktop will suck on a tablet unless you make sure the design is mobile friendly.

On the Apple platform, you still need Apples approval to make it generally available via the appstore.