7 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2011 6:19 AM by the_wine_snob

Lip-Synced Music Videos for YouTube?

Haskins002 Level 1

I have been creating music for 20 years (home studio), and would like to create videos for some of my original songs (currently on mp3 or wav files), then upload to YouTube.  I know virtually nothing about video or video editing.   I was wondering if Premiere Elements would be a good editing application for my purposes.  For each video, someone would film multiple video takes of me lip-syncing to a pre-recorded song.  Is Premiere Elements sophisticated or precise enough to allow excellent synchronization between separate video clips and an audio track for lip-syncing purposes?  Would you recommend something else (for PC)?  Thanks.

Greg

• 1. Re: Lip-Synced Music Videos for YouTube?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Greg,

Welcome to the forum.

PrElements can edit the syncing to Frame Accuracy, or about 1/30th of a second. This ARTICLE, while talking about OOS (Out Of Sync), will give tips on doing the syncing.

Now, as Video is limited to 1 Frame accuracy, you have some limitations there. Still, that ~ 1/30th sec. is usually close enough.

If you need more accuracy (on the Audio end - not the Video end), then PrPro allows one to work at Audio Sample-Rates with the display of Audio Units. One can align/edit the Audio to those for ~ 1/48,000th of a sec. Remember - Video will ONLY allow you to do full Frames, so the FPS will determine the frequency for the Video.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Lip-Synced Music Videos for YouTube?
            Haskins002 Level 1

Thanks Hunt for responding so quickly. 

When I clink that OOS link, I keep getting "an unexpected error has occurred."

Do you know of any posts that discuss people specifically using P.E. for lip

synced video and so I might be able to determine if the 1/30 accuracy and ease

of making fine tune edits makes P. E. a good choice for my purposes?

When you say "if you need more accuracy on the "Audio end", I am not sure if

this applies for music videos since the song would be played from beginning to

end, without interruption.   Thus, it would seem to me (but I am ignorant about

video) that any edits needed to tweak things to make my lips sync to the music

would need to be made to the video not audio.  Does that make sense?  Thanks

again.

Greg

• 3. Re: Lip-Synced Music Videos for YouTube?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Hm-m, it worked just now, when I tested it. Here is the full URL. Just Copy this, and Paste it into your browser: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/436751?tstart=90

There are several threads here, where posters think that they want Sample-Rate levels of accuracy. As Video is ONLY ever Frame Accurate, that is all that one can do. The greater accuracy comes from editing the Audio to the Video (at one Frame accuracy).

For the tweaking, one can alter the speed of the Video (still limited to one Frame accuracy), or the speed of the Audio. This can be a bit tedious, and is often not really needed, due to the ability of the human eye/brain to see differences smaller than 1/30th of a sec. (NTSC).

Good luck, and hope that the above URL works better for you.

Hunt

• 4. Re: Lip-Synced Music Videos for YouTube?
                Haskins002 Level 1

Hi Hunt,

The link worked this time.  Thanks.  I see you wrote the post.  You implied that

the instructions are the same for both PE and PrPro - is that correct?   Since

PrPro costs about 10 times as much as PE and I'm a newbie to video, it probably

makes sense that I buy PE and see how it works.

Thanks.

Greg

• 5. Re: Lip-Synced Music Videos for YouTube?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Greg,

The ONLY advantage to PrPro in your stated need, is to do the Audio editing in Audio Units, but then as you are working in Audio already, you probably have a favorite DAW, and that will give you even more control. That is NOT to say that PrPro does not have other pluses, but just not that would likely apply here. Hey, one's gotta' get something for the extra $600, right?

I'd get the trial of PrE 9.0, and test with it. There are a few limitations on certain formats, but it's pretty full-featured for a trial. Just know that it will place a watermark on the Exported/Shared footage, so you cannot deliver/upload that, and get clean, watermark-free footage.

Unless I missed something (I do most of my editing in PrPro, so do not put my PrE through all of its paces), the operations will be almost identical.

For syncing, just remember to work in Timeline View Mode (only way to work in PrPro), and turn Snap OFF (the S key togglesn Snap), otherwise, you will be trying to force little increments, and the Audio will jump about, and Snap onto cuts, etc. Just toggle it back on, when you go back to the Video editing, as it makes general alignment much easier.

If one is doing any Speed change, PrPro might be a bit easier, and offer more control, but not THAT much.

Now, if you do not have a DAW, that you love, then you might consider the CS5.5 Production Premium suite, with Audition included. One can easily do some pretty heavy-duty Audio work in that program. My workflow would be to edit the Video, and then Import the Audio and the Video into Audition, where I would tweak the Audio to perfectly (within that 1 Frame for Video), while watching the Video. Audition will offer the ability to work with Envelopes for the Audio, and adjust the Speed almost infinitely, while maintaining Pitch. However, that is not a cheap suite, and there will be a bit of a learning curve, if one has not used Audition, or a similar DAW before.

Good luck, and let us know how the PrE trial works out.

Hunt

• 6. Re: Lip-Synced Music Videos for YouTube?
                    Haskins002 Level 1

Thanks Hunt.  The DAW I have been working with for years is Cakewalk Sonar. Not

sure how my DAW will affect my vidio/audio editing, since the master audio file

would be exported from Sonar (in either wav or mp3) and then imported into PE or

PrPro for the editing/syncing process, correct?   Are you suggesting it would

make sense to important video files into Sonar for editing/syncing first? 

Thanks again.

Greg

• 7. Re: Lip-Synced Music Videos for YouTube?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

I know of, but do not know Cakewalk, so I do not know how it might handle a Video stream, if at all. If it does not, then I would go with an Export to PCM/WAV @ 48KHz 16-bit (I would NOT use MP3, if for no other reason, than the MPEG compression), and then do the editing completely in PrE - unless, of course, Cakewalk would allow you to view the Video temporarily linked to your Audio stream. If it does, then I would reverse the workflow order. I would edit the Video in PrE, then Export/Share to a format, that Cakewalk could accept. If you are producing SD (Standard Def) material, then I'd choose DV-AVI. Once into Cakewalk, if it allows one to work with Envelopes, I would use those to tweak the Speed of segments (the Envelopes) of the Audio, with Maintain Pitch enabled. These tweaks should be slight changes, so the maintainence of Pitch should work fine. Once edited, then just Export (PCM/WAV w/ above specs.) and Import into PrE for final assembly and output. It just depends on the capabilities of Cakewalk.

One caution: PrE can use some VST's, but not all. See this ARTICLE for some background on a potential problem with launching PrE. This is just a guess, but PrE can probably work fine, or at least not experience problems, with any VST's that ship/install with Cakewalk. Now, if you have added VST's, only testing will tell whether PrE can work with, or at least not experience problems, those VST's. Just something to keep in the back of your mind.

Good luck, and please report how well the trial works.

Hunt