2 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2011 9:58 PM by p_d_f

Help with converting image to B&W apart from a single area/item??

bubblebug

Hello

I am new to Adobe and have downloaded the trial version of Master Collection. No idea what it's all about but have a month to work it out!!

What I would like to know how to do (hopefully I can explain it!) is to convert a picture to black and white apart from a single object i.e. a wedding photo of a couple in black and white but his flower on the lapel is in it's original colour.

Can this be done in any of the Master Collection programs and if so, can anyone explain in laymans terms how I do it please and if I first need to make sure my picture has been taken correctly i.e. if it needs to be in raw format?

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help me and who has the patience to explain it to me very basically!!

• 1. Re: Help with converting image to B&W apart from a single area/item??
          gator soup Level 4

Photoshop: View> Actual Pixels

use Lasso Tool (press L key) to draw a selection around part you want to maintain color

Select> Modify> Feather (1 pixel)

then Command+J (Mac), or Layer> New> Layer via Copy

(this copies your selection to a new layer)

in Layers Pallet, select your original Layer
          then Command+J (Mac), or Layer> New> Layer via Copy

to make a backup copy of your original layer

now your copy layer should be highlighted in Layers Pallet

Image> Adjustments> Black & White (should Desaturate the Layer and leave your colored selection on top)....

The Layers and History look like this:

Layers.jpg

Of course there are many ways to do this...google for tutorials...you may want to post in the Photoshop forum since this is not a colormanagement issue...

• 2. Re: Help with converting image to B&W apart from a single area/item??
            p_d_f Level 2

Now that would be the complicated method. Fortunately, Photoshop usually has several ways to go about something, and in this case, a much simpler one as well. Using a Black and White Adjustment Layer, which has both the adjustment - in this case, the conversion to black and white, and an already built in mask, you use the Adjustment Layer to your satisfaction for the overall image and then simply paint with a black brush in the part of the image you want to remain in color. For your wedding shot with colored flower, you can accomplish this in under a minute, maybe two if you're new at it.