1 Reply Latest reply on May 11, 2011 12:49 PM by JoyceEvans

slicing background image

DotPDX

Hi - I'm running Fireworks CS5 on a Mac and want to slice a background image so that it repeats (oh, and not "reapeats") x AND y in the middle of the image so the background expands with the browser and device size. My problem is that the image is a jpg of a color wash that is not symetrical. I'm hoping a one-pixel slice vertically and horizonally with repeat-x and repeat-y will do the trick, but to date, I can't figure out how to do this - any help? I can place the slices, but 1. how should I export them? and 2. how do I incorporate them in Dreamweaver CS5?

Oh, and when will Adobe fix the typo on the repeating option in the properties panel? Your options are "no-repeat", "repeat", "REAPEAT-X", and "repeat-y".

My question about that is this: will it work correctly if it's misspelled?

Thanks!

Dot

• 1. Re: slicing background image
          JoyceEvans Level 3

If you can get the correct image that will look god when repeated then I can tell you how to use in Dreamweaver.

Export as an image, probably jpg unless it's vector then use gif.

In Dw open your design or create it

To add the background image to the entire page select the "body" tag in the tag selector (bottom of document)

Open CSS styles panel

click + to add a style

In drop down menu at the bottom select "New style sheet" and name it. Or select one you are using. You can of course use "This document only"

In the top drop down select "tag"

Body should be in the selector field

click OK

Under Category select Background

Then browse to your image

Background-repeat select "repeat"

click OK

Be sure to upload your new style sheet