8 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2011 8:13 AM by the_wine_snob

PE7 - something or nothing?

andy1946569 Level 1

Hello,

Many thanks for help in the past, this forum is very effective.

Anyway, I have PE7 running in windows 7 and have 2 very small problems.

PE7 always crashes as it closes on my machine. Although I save my work before I close this seems odd and I'd be interested to know if its symptomatic of anything.

And, imported clips or images very often have the wrong thumbnail assigned to them. They work fine but the thumbnails seem to come from other files on my system bizarrely.

Many thanks in advance.

Andy

• 1. Re: PE7 - something or nothing?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Much depends on your source video.

What type of camcorder is your video coming from and how did you get it into your computer? Also, which project settings did you select when you created your Premiere Elements project?

Meantime, ensure that you have gone to Windows Update and downloaded even the non-critical updates. Also ensure that you have the latest firmware for your video card from the nVidia or ATI site and that you have the latest version of Quicktime from Apple.

Finally, even a brand-new computer is full of junk files and fragmentation. My recommended computer regimen will keep your computer running fast and efficiently.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/390602?tstart=30

• 2. Re: PE7 - something or nothing?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Andy,

When the program crashes on closure, do you get any error messages?

For finding clues on what is going on with one's computer, this ARTICLE should give you some useful tips.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: PE7 - something or nothing?
              andy1946569 Level 1

Hello Chaps,

Can I answer you both at the same time?

Steve

Source - The camcorder is a Sony MiniDV camcorder avi, brilliant kit but a few years old now.

Project settings - PAL, widescreen, on the highest resolution setting, I can't remember what that is(I'm at work at the moment)

Bill

Messages - I get the standard windows dialog box with a coice to close, or check online for a solution

Thank you, Andy

• 4. Re: PE7 - something or nothing?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Andy,

Can I answer you both at the same time?

Yes. That works perfectly.

When you choose the option to "check online," does MS give you anything useful?

When you look in Event Viewer, you should see several warning and probably several error messages at the time of the hang. Do any of those offer any useful help?

Do any of those have any links? If so, do any of those links offer any ideas as to what is going on?

I'd be especially interested if there are any address errors, or any note of a driver error. Also, if any "Faulting Modules" are cited, they might be very, very useful.

In the interim, I would check to make sure that both your audio and video drivers are the very latest. Do not trust Windows, or any utility, to tell you if you have the latest drivers, but instead go the mfgr's. Web site, and check your driver versions/dates against the latest offered, say nVidia, or ATI for video drivers, and probably Realtek, or Creative for audio.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: PE7 - something or nothing?
                  andy1946569 Level 1

Hello again.. I'll try those things, thank you.

Anyway I have another question as I have bought a Canon 5D Mark ii this week.

Probably best if I start a new query........

Andy

• 6. Re: PE7 - something or nothing?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Andy,

I think that starting a new thread, specific to that question, would be best. Also, think about the title of that post, so that it tells a viewer just a bit about the question, and discussion contained within - think about a headline for a newspaper article. That will first attract the viewer's attention, and then help others searching for similar answers in the future.

Good luck, and don't forget to update this thread, as you track things down.

Hunt

• 7. Re: PE7 - something or nothing?
                      andy1946569 Level 1

Yes of course. The forum needs to searchable for others. "Something or Nothing" doesn't help in that regard, point taken.

I'm a magazine publisher, so I should have thought of that.

Thanks as always Bill,

Andy

• 8. Re: PE7 - something or nothing?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

I'm a magazine publisher, so I should have thought of that.

I understand.

What is easily, and often overlooked, especially when one is working on a problem (especially if a deadline is looming), is that the forum functions on several levels:

• Finding solutions to specific problems
                        • Providing tips on doing things, and educating (I think that they make great reading in general, as I almost always learn something that I did not know)
                        • Furnishing solutions for later readers, if they Search (hope that Adobe fixes Search for the forums soon... )

That last is one reason that we urge posters to do a followup on what worked, or what did not work for them. All too often, we'll work on a problem, but then never know what happened - what worked, and what did not. Then, a year later, a new poster will show up with, "well, did you ever get this fixed?" It's like someone posting to a food/travel forum, looking for restaurant/hotel recs. for some destination, and then coming back with reviews on what they found, and which recs. were good ones. First, the responders get feedback on their recs., and second, others can benefit, when they are looking for recs. on that same destination.

Good luck,

Hunt