12 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2011 6:29 AM by Jeff Bellune

Dynamic link warp stabilizer 5.5 issues

D&R Films Level 1

Been messin around with the demo while I patiently wait for my upgrade to 5.5 and I've come across an issue with the warp stabilizer when sending multiple clips from the timeline to and from PPro 5.5. If I send out a clip, use warp stabilizer in AE and save the project the results are fantastic and it's right there on the timeline. Groovy.. Until I send another clip out. The second clip looks great in AE... stabilizes fine. Save project as new name in AE, exit... back to PPro and the clips will be the same! It'll duplicate the first stabilized clip! Sometimes I can delete the instance from the timeline, and drag the AE comp from the bin back to the timeline and it'll work until I do another clip then it'll be a duplicate again. Also, sometimes it'll flicker from one comp to the new comp and back again. Like it's confused about which comp to play in PPro. I'm hoping that when I export it'll be fine, but this seems quite serious.

I've tried dumping the cache, cleaning out the project, saving the AE comp projects to different folders and drives. Doesn't seem to matter.

Oh... btw.. specs:

i7 970

Asus P6x58D-e

24GB G-Skill 1600 kit

C: Revodrive 2 120GB SSD

D: WD Black 1TB for apps (not Adobe apps, they are on the SSD)

E: WD Black 2TB for video

I: Removable dock with 1TB Samsung spinpoint F3

F: LG BDR

MSI GTX 560 Ti OC (Works great with MPE modified .txt file!)

Win 7-64 Pro (because of 24GB)

• 1. Re: Dynamic link warp stabilizer 5.5 issues
          shooternz Level 6
          Groovy.. Until I send another clip out. The second clip looks great in AE... stabilizes fine. Save project as new name in AE, exit... back to PPro and the clips will be the same! It'll duplicate the first stabilized clip!

Not sure about your workflow and why you are ..."Save project as new name in AE" ...doing that?

BTW. There are somethings I do in AEFX that I think are worth doing as an intermediate workflow and not as DL.

• 2. Re: Dynamic link warp stabilizer 5.5 issues
            D&R Films Level 1

Oh, that's easy... When you right-click a clip in PPro and "Replace with After Effects comp" you are prompted by AE to make the project and then AE makes a project and comp the exact size, framerate and duration of the clip and imports the clip into the comp. Then you apply effects, in this case "warp stabilizer" and you save the project then close and go back to PPro to finish. You can leave it open, but if you want to do more clips it's better saved and closed.

I only started saving as new name to try and stop the bug from happening. It still happens.

(I was just clarifying in the OP that each clip was a new project name so I wasn't saving over the previous clips project and that was what I was seeing.)

• 3. Re: Dynamic link warp stabilizer 5.5 issues
              Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Are you saving with a new name that includes numerical values?  If so, don't do that.  It interferes with AE's "Increment and Save" feature and is likely the cause of your problem.

-Jeff

• 4. Re: Dynamic link warp stabilizer 5.5 issues
                D&R Films Level 1

Nope... fist AE proj named "warp" next one named "Church" and so on...

• 5. Re: Dynamic link warp stabilizer 5.5 issues
                  tclark513 Level 3

This bug has nothing to do with Warp Stabilizer, it affects all DL's and has been around from the beginning.

It is a PITA.  If you keep all your compositions in the "same" AE project it seems to work better.  If you do a "save as" and rename AE project the bug will appear again.

Also DL's are always "un-linking" for some reason in CS5, CS5.01, CS5.02 and CS5.03.

I hope CS5.5 fixes this issue.

• 6. Re: Dynamic link warp stabilizer 5.5 issues
                    D&R Films Level 1

Since it's happening on 5.5 I doubt it.

I know it's not the warp stabilizer, but that was the thing I was using when it happened, and the way it works it's unavoidable and makes the effect worthless for more than one use per project.

• 7. Re: Dynamic link warp stabilizer 5.5 issues
                      tclark513 Level 3
                      function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

D&R Films wrote:

Since it's happening on 5.5 I doubt it.

I know it's not the warp stabilizer, but that was the thing I was using when it happened, and the way it works it's unavoidable and makes the effect worthless for more than one use per project.

Keep your AE project open when picking new clips.  It will open a new composotion within the "same" AE project.  This way Premiere will read the different "comps" and work the way you need.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Dynamic link warp stabilizer 5.5 issues
                        D&R Films Level 1

Ahh.. Okay! I'll try that from now on. Thanks man!

• 10. Re: Dynamic link warp stabilizer 5.5 issues
                          Colin Brougham Level 6

I don't think you even need to increment the name to expose this quirk. I've found that simply doing a "Save As" is enough to cause the problem. When you think about it, Dynamic Link is a connection to a specific comp in a specific AE project, so once you start saving as new versions--essentially duplicating your project--you can cause Dynamic Link to get confused.

FWIW, I've never had a problem maintaining all my comps for a particular PPro project in one AE project. I actually have one AE project that started in AE CS4 and is now in AE CS5.5; it's got over 300 comps in it. Every month, I duplicate my last month's PPro project which contains 10-15 DL'ed AE comps in that AE project, recycling some of them and adding new ones. I've never had a problem with DL getting confused about which comp is which; I have ocassionally had a comp be marked as offline/missing, but a simple relink fixes that and it usually does not happen again.

After I create my initial AE project and comp, I use Ctrl+E on a DL'ed comp in PPro to launch AE and open the relevant project. Then, any new comps I create are added to that project. It makes management far easier, and seems to prevent any amnesia problems.

1 person found this helpful
                          • 11. Re: Dynamic link warp stabilizer 5.5 issues
                            D&R Films Level 1

Colin Brougham wrote:

I don't think you even need to increment the name to expose this quirk. I've found that simply doing a "Save As" is enough to cause the problem. When you think about it, Dynamic Link is a connection to a specific comp in a specific AE project, so once you start saving as new versions--essentially duplicating your project--you can cause Dynamic Link to get confused.

FWIW, I've never had a problem maintaining all my comps for a particular PPro project in one AE project. I actually have one AE project that started in AE CS4 and is now in AE CS5.5; it's got over 300 comps in it. Every month, I duplicate my last month's PPro project which contains 10-15 DL'ed AE comps in that AE project, recycling some of them and adding new ones. I've never had a problem with DL getting confused about which comp is which; I have ocassionally had a comp be marked as offline/missing, but a simple relink fixes that and it usually does not happen again.

After I create my initial AE project and comp, I use Ctrl+E on a DL'ed comp in PPro to launch AE and open the relevant project. Then, any new comps I create are added to that project. It makes management far easier, and seems to prevent any amnesia problems.

That's right, I didn't start "save as" UNTIL the bug showed it's ugly head. I normally put my comps in one project too, but I normally don't DL multiple videos out to comps, one or two in a project, but not several. That's why i never saw the bug before,

• 12. Re: Dynamic link warp stabilizer 5.5 issues
                              Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

I'm with you; I always keep my DL comps inside of a single AE project.  Which is probably why I've never encountered this bug.

-Jeff

EDIT: Don't mind me, I'll just repeat everything that D&R says...