20 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2011 8:08 AM by Jeff Bellune Branched from an earlier discussion.

image stabilization

Bob Dix Photographer Level 2

Hi RobSher1,

We run two Dell computers one specifically designed for CS5 premiere Pro ,

however we were not told by sales that there was no image stabilization in

the product and the tech support was coming from India and unfortunately the

tech very very hard to understand if not impossible and the connection was

poor.

Because of the nature of our operation we do not need the complication as

advised, we wasted 2.5 hours trying to get an answer to-day,  your products

are so good we will continue to use them , but , your terch support and

sales advice is not up to date unfortunately.

We will continue to use your products.

Regards,

Louise & Bob Dix  BA Journalism & Media USQ Southern Queensland  &Dip ED

Teaching USQ

Freelanc Imaging/Video  and Creative Arts.

17 Barrymount Crescent

TOOWOOMBA Q 4350

AUSTRALIA

Mobile 0405728925

Hi RobSher1,

Looks like I had my wires crossed here and this e-mail came direct to me and I had my mind on another problem with CS5.5 but, more importantly our losses druing the recent floods casing at least $10,000 worth of damage to our premises, but, we will recorver,but, maybe not cuda supported cards ??

Message was edited by: Bob Dix Photographer

• 1. Re: image stabilization
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8
          >  however we were not told by sales that there was no image stabilization in the product

I don't understand this complaint.

Do you expect sales to give you a list of all things that the software deosn't have or do?

Premiere Pro has never had a built-in stabilization feature, so I don't know why the lack of one now would be cause for complaint against the person or people who didn't tell you that the feature wasn't in this application.

• 2. Re: image stabilization

Hi Todd,

If you were "down under" trying to get through by phone to sales in Australia you would understand what I am getting at.

In any case I am old enough to know and it is in Premiere Pro 1.5.1 and is still used, not only that and I know you are not the expert on Premiere Elements 4 or 9 ? , but, these pieces of Adoibe software have an image stabilizer in built, or has it been removed from 9 ? it is not that we would need it all the time if ever, but, it can be handy. I might point out the tech advice from India did not know anything about image stabilization nor could he tell me anything about After Effects, nor could the  trial software be downloaded , all this after about 2.5 hours trying to get through to nearly anyone and it was between 9am and 5PM M-F ?.

I just wish I was in USA, we do many other things than use Premiere Pro, it is a minor part of our activities, but, the service support here is not up to the quality of the Adobe product.

Regards

Ps We have been in professional imaging for over 25 years and never had responses like I got the other day, perhaps it is time I gave some of this away ?

• 3. Re: image stabilization
              Colin Brougham Level 6
              it is in Premiere Pro 1.5.1 and is still used,

Premiere Pro has never had a built-in, native stabilizer. Are you talking about 2D3 Steadymove? That was a third-party plug-in that was included with Premiere up until PPro 2.0 (or maybe CS3), but it's been extinct for some time. It wasn't an Adobe plug-in, though; just a licensed one.

Premiere Elements and Premiere Pro have little to do with one another beyond the name. It does not stand to reason that they would share technologies; they're developed differently by different teams.

So, no: there is no image stabilization in Premiere Pro CS5 or CS5.5, either built-in or in the box as a third-party plug-in. You either have to use After Effects and the Warp Stabilizer, or look into other third-party choices.

• 4. Re: image stabilization
                shooternz Level 6
                I just wish I was in USA, we do many other things than use Premiere Pro, it is a minor part of our activities, but, the service support here is not up to the quality of the Adobe product.

Hey Bob

I think it is pretty well acknowledged (even by our Adobe resident / friends in this forum)  that Adobe Support is not up to much and the forum probably offers better advice and support for a query such as yours.  I wonder why you even attempted it.  :-)

People like Colin B, Bill Huntand others... should be given medals for the effort, support work and the knowledge they impart from here.

BTW: I think even if you were in the USA you would have had the same experience with the "support services".

• 5. Re: image stabilization
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> I think it is pretty well acknowledged (even by our Adobe resident / friends in this forum)  that Adobe Support is not up to much and the forum probably offers better advice and support for a query such as yours.

I'd revise that a little. I wouldn't say that "Adobe Support is not up to much". I do work for the Support department, after all. But I would strongly recommend posting here rather than calling the phone support service for technical questions. This forum tends to be a more direct way to connect with technical expertise. The phone lines are good for things like serial number and installation issues.

• 6. Re: image stabilization
                    japeh123 Level 1

The 2d3 SteadyMove program was not updated for CS3 and ceased to be available.

The Third Party Boris Continuum Complete Suite has a stabilizer. While the whole suite is rather expensive, you can buy a single Continuum Unit for $99.US. Be carefull: buy the unit called Stabilizer, not he one called Motion Tracker.

Actually, the unit looks suspiciously like the Warp Stabilizer in Aftetr Effect CS5.5 or is it the other way around? May be all stabilizers have to look pretty much the same.

• 7. Re: image stabilization
                      shooternz Level 6

Sorry Todd.

You wrote what I should have writ.

The Adobe support in this forum is exceptional and very much appreciated.

Craig

• 8. Re: image stabilization
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Not sure that this is of any help, but the last time that I used either Adobe T/S, or C/S, they offered great telephone support. However, that was at a time, when Noah was just starting to look at the plans for his boat. I have heard that things are no longer quite so good. With that said, I urge folk to post here, BEFORE placing a call to either C/S, or T/S. There have been very few issues, that someone here could not solve. It might be you, Colin, Todd, Jeremy, Harm or John T., but there is usually an answer, just a few hours away. If noone here can handle the issue, THEN the call might be helpful.

As to any packaged stablization in PrPro, I think that even the 3rd party plug-in ended with/before PrPro 2.0.

Hunt

PS - thanks for the mention with that heady group. I am flattered.

• 9. Re: image stabilization

Hi Todd,

You are right the Forum is the best way to go , and yes to our KIWI Friend shooternz, the doc has just operated on the back of my head and I was feeling not the best, but, all is well. And for all those others re Steadymove Pro , yes it was a 3rd Party plug in from 2D3 and supplied by Adobe for the early Premiere Pros 1.5.1 and I think 2 which we still use and it works very well at a pinch, and that is if we do simple editing, and yes I did know a little about After Effects before I asked the tech to confirm., yes shooternz , I SHOULD NOT HAVE DONE IT,.I AM COMING TO YOUR LOVELY COUNTRY to shoot some HD and rest.

Cheers to all 

And yes, Craig I would give my army medals or better still the  Order of Video Editing , to you, Todd and in particular Bill , but, not excluding all the others who come to my rescue in the lonely hours of dispair ?..

• 10. Re: image stabilization

You are correct in nearly all.

Thanks

• 11. Re: image stabilization
                              Level 4

I recently worked on a tv pilot where "image stabilization" was the exact opposite of what the 3 alexa hand held cameras wanted. IN fact, everything was done to make shots that were extremely "shaky" and kinda wild looking.  So when you talk about image stabilization and get into support networks ( someone in India knows what you actually want to SHOOT ? ).. i THINK its time to think about how you mount the camera and move the thing and get on with it ....

• 12. Re: image stabilization

Ah Robodog2,

I understand what you are saying , and perhaps the tech was more advanced than I gave him credit for, and it is best not to stabilize any clips preferably , and yes, I have seen what the new stabilizers can do even in After Effects, hallucinating drugs give the same effects if that is your want and my son thinks so too, but, he uses Final Cut Pro, but, preferably iMovie, and does weird things, But, that's youth.

Thanks

• 13. Re: image stabilization

Thanks robodog2,

This went to my private mail box, see my other comments before I got this . Yes, we have been in

the game for over 30 years and even know how to mount Hassellblads on a tripod.

I often forget I am getting older and you blokes need to bring me up to date, but, my son does

this nearly everyday.

In any case I blame him for getting me into this video editing game, I shall soon retire totally permanently on Lord Howe Island NSW Australia if they will have me ?

• 14. Re: image stabilization
                                    Level 4

I'm glad you got into the stuff your son has introduced you to...and hope you enjoy it enough to keep doing it even after you retire ( you lucky hound ! )

I hope everything is back to normal and so on since the horrid weather and floods etc.

Here's something pretty cool for image stablilization... and there's more and more of these stablized heads being made now ( using some of the technology from fighter jets, rockets etc ...that is, micro switches, actuators etc that have been used for supersonic flight "surfaces" to change shape etc during maneuvers )

There's a few guys ( like Lev something or other ...forget last name ) who keep coming up with new remote stablized heads..

http://www.ultimatearm.com/

• 15. Re: image stabilization
                                      Level 4

one of the "shots" done recently on some job I was on....was with a lipstick camera...that captured to a tiny "chip" ...so it wasn't tethered to anything ( cable ) to record....It recorded something like1080p...

sooo, anyway, we tied some fishing line to it ( 20lb test mono filiment ) lowered it off a roof until it was 10 feet above the ground...and marked that distance on the fishing line....then we pulled it back up and turned it on and threw it off the roof... and let it fall until it got to that mark we made....

looked like this

lipstick1.jpg

talk about shaky !  free fall ................look out belowwwwwwwwwwwwww !!!!

• 16. Re: image stabilization
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Now, you could put that line onto an Ambassadeur, attached to a nice surf-casting rod, and "cast" it, to get some "flying super-hero" POV footage. Just thinking here.

Hunt

• 17. Re: image stabilization
                                          Level 4

( going to lounge....going to get yelled at ! )

• 18. Re: image stabilization

Thanks for the notes

regards,

Bob

• 19. Re: image stabilization
                                              digitlman Level 1

This is crazy, i did not start this thread or post in it  but my inbox is full of emails for every post here saying they are all replies to me?

• 20. Re: image stabilization
                                                Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Please post questions about how well (or not) the forum is working for you here:

http://forums.adobe.com/community/general/forum_comments

-Jeff