7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2007 2:32 PM by Newsgroup_User

    Question on how to split a circle

    dm25 Level 1
      I have a circle, I want to split it in two parts, make one side yellow and another blue. How do I do that?
        • 1. Re: Question on how to split a circle
          dm25 Level 1
          I want the circle to be in one peace, I just want one side to be one color and the other side to be another color.
          • 2. Re: Question on how to split a circle
            Level 7
            Use the Slice tool - alex

            dm25 wrote:
            > I have a circle, I want to split it in two parts, make one side yellow and another blue. How do I do that?
            • 3. Re: Question on how to split a circle
              Level 7
              Err .... the Knife tool - sorry

              Alex Mariño wrote:
              > Use the Slice tool - alex
              >
              > dm25 wrote:
              >> I have a circle, I want to split it in two parts, make one side yellow
              >> and another blue. How do I do that?
              • 4. Re: Question on how to split a circle
                Level 7
                It was tricky to begin with, try this:

                1 - draw a line

                2 - draw a circle

                3 - position the line so it cuts the circle how you want it to making
                sure that the circle is arranged on top of the line with line wider than
                the circle

                4 - Paths panel (Windows > Other > Path)

                5 - select both the circle and the line

                6 - click on Divide Paths button in Path panel

                7 - direct select tool > pull apart the pieces and delete what you do
                not need - see attached (oops - 10K limit?) (opps 2 - GIF won't go ... )




                dm25 wrote:
                > I want the circle to be in one peace, I just want one side to be one color and the other side to be another color.
                • 5. Re: Question on how to split a circle
                  abeall Level 3
                  > 1 - draw a line
                  >
                  > 2 - draw a circle
                  >
                  ...
                  >
                  > 6 - click on Divide Paths button in Path panel

                  Can the Divide Paths command do that with a line? Or doesn't the line have to be a thin rectangle?
                  • 6. Re: Question on how to split a circle
                    Level 7
                    dm25 wrote:
                    > I have a circle, I want to split it in two parts, make one side yellow and another blue. How do I do that?

                    Draw the circle with the Pie shape tool. In the Auto Shape Properties
                    panel, change the second number to 180 and press Enter. Choose Modify >
                    Ungroup to finish the split.

                    --
                    Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
                    --------------------------------------------------------------
                    http://www.projectseven.com
                    Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
                    CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
                    http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
                    --------------------------------------------------------------
                    • 7. Re: Question on how to split a circle
                      Level 7
                      It worked fine a few moments before I posted.

                      I will try it again. The secret seems to be that FW cuts from the lower
                      path into the upper path. Path ops should accepts lines (they certainly
                      appear as Paths in layer list (lines I mean))

                      OK! I see what you mean. Draw the line using Pen tool.

                      (Note to self: take more care
                      Note to developers a line is a path... (it says so in the layer list))

                      abeall wrote:
                      >> 1 - draw a line
                      > >
                      > > 2 - draw a circle
                      > >
                      > ...
                      > >
                      > > 6 - click on Divide Paths button in Path panel
                      >
                      > Can the Divide Paths command do that with a line? Or doesn't the line have to
                      > be a thin rectangle?
                      >