to use with Premeire Pro 5.5

SPECS:

Intel Quad Core i7-2630QM (2.0GHz) Processor

17.3" Full HD (1920 x 1080) LED Display

16GB DDR3 1333MHz Memory

1.5TB 7200RPM Hard Drive, Blu-Ray DVD Burner

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M 1.5GB GDDR5 Graphics Card

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit

However I saw the requirements for the Mercury Playback, the nVidia GeForce GTX 470 is listed but not the 460 from the Adobe Premiere 5.5 page:

http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/performance.html

My question is will the 460 work for Premiere and the Mercury Playback?

If not, are there any suggestions for another laptop and specs?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: mobile graphics card question
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The GTX 460M has 192 cores and as you stated it has 1.5 GB of Video RAM.  Those are the two qualifications necessary to run MPE hardware acceleration.  Since it is not on the supported list you will have to add it to the Adobe "cuda_supported_cards.txt" file to make it work.  Do not forget the "M".

It does have two disk drives as the minimum Adobe system requirements specify which is good   There is a predecessor model of this computer (with an i7-740QM processor) scored 372 on our PPBM5 Benchmark which is quite respectable for a stock laptop.and it had the GTX 460M nVidia GPU enabled for Hardware MPE that you asked about.  For about $2,000 with a stock model with the new Sandy Bridge CPU at 2.0 GHz it should do appreciably better an is quite a respectable Premiere editing platform.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: mobile graphics card question
            M3g@r@ Level 1

Thanks Bill for the helpful links, and for catching my slip on the clarification of the "M" for the mobile.  I also was looking into this monster from ASUS http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-vx7a1-lamborghini-pre-order-p-3046.html

but I'm torn if I should get the 1.5" (approximately) larger screen from the previous speced model or go for this one because the 460M is more powerful.

• 3. Re: mobile graphics card question
              Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In my case I might opt for the larger screen (only for my older eyes) and my personal choice would be for the matte screen, I hate the shiny screens, but then I do not know what graphics card the current model has.  But it is a beauty with two disk drives and 16 GB of RAM