10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2007 1:29 AM by AlsoKnownAs

    CS3 bug: can't use delete key in Text Editor

    beefcheese
      When I'm editing text in the popup Editor, I can't use the Delete key to delete text. I can only type, and then go back and delete any typos or errors on the page.

      Is this a known bug?
        • 1. Re: CS3 bug: can't use delete key in Text Editor
          Level 7
          Delete erases text to the right of the cursor. Backspace deletes text to
          the left of the cursor.

          Are you sure you are not at the end of a line of text and trying to use
          the Delete key? If so, that won't work.

          alex

          beefcheese wrote:
          > When I'm editing text in the popup Editor, I can't use the Delete key to delete text. I can only type, and then go back and delete any typos or errors on the page.
          >
          > When will this bug be fixed?
          • 2. Re: CS3 bug: can't use delete key in Text Editor
            beefcheese Level 1
            The "delete" key on a Mac keyboard erases text to the left of the cursor.

            When I'm in the popup text editor, the Delete key has no effect at all; when I hit it, nothing happens. I'm not able to erase mistakes, correct errors, or delete extra spaces. The text editor box is essentially useless.

            Am I the only one with this issue, or is it a known bug?
            • 3. Re: CS3 bug: can't use delete key in Text Editor
              Level 7
              I work on a PC and don't see the problem. Maybe someone else working on
              a Mac could chime in and see if they are also experiencing the same
              problem. In that case it is definitively a bug.

              alex

              beefcheese wrote:
              > The "delete" key on a Mac keyboard erases text to the left of the cursor.
              >
              > When I'm in the popup text editor, the Delete key has no effect at all; when I
              > hit it, nothing happens. I'm not able to erase mistakes, correct errors, or
              > delete extra spaces. The text editor box is essentially useless.
              >
              > Am I the only one with this issue, or is it a known bug?
              >
              • 4. Re: CS3 bug: can't use delete key in Text Editor
                Level 7
                Alex Mariño wrote:
                > I work on a PC and don't see the problem. Maybe someone else working on
                > a Mac could chime in and see if they are also experiencing the same
                > problem. In that case it is definitively a bug.
                >
                > alex
                >
                > beefcheese wrote:
                >> The "delete" key on a Mac keyboard erases text to the left of the cursor.
                >>
                >> When I'm in the popup text editor, the Delete key has no effect at
                >> all; when I hit it, nothing happens. I'm not able to erase mistakes,
                >> correct errors, or delete extra spaces. The text editor box is
                >> essentially useless.
                >>
                >> Am I the only one with this issue, or is it a known bug?
                >>
                Confirmed here on a Mac Pro.

                But it may be worse than that - neither of the delete or backspace keys
                work in Text Editor.
                • 5. Re: CS3 bug: can't use delete key in Text Editor
                  beefcheese Level 1
                  Same here, cannot delete or backspace in Text Editor. Glad it's not just me.

                  I'm on a MacBook Pro, 2 GHz Intel Core Duo. Mac OS X 10.4.9.
                  • 6. Re: CS3 bug: can't use delete key in Text Editor
                    Martijn74
                    There's a 'solution' to this problem: I've had the same problem here (running fireworks on osx & macbook pro)
                    Delete button doesn't work in text editor however it does work when you press CTRL + Delete....

                    weird but true
                    • 7. Re: CS3 bug: can't use delete key in Text Editor
                      Jack_Zwanenburg
                      Same for me on my Mac. Delete or backspace doesn't work in Text Editor, unless you hold the ctrl or shift key. Though annoying, it works as a short term work around, but should be fixed by Adobe.
                      • 8. Re: CS3 bug: can't use delete key in Text Editor
                        Level 7
                        Those keys work OK for me on the Mac. Perhaps it's not something that Adobe
                        can fix?

                        --
                        Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                        Adobe Community Expert
                        (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                        ==================
                        http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                        http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                        ==================


                        "Jack Zwanenburg" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                        news:ffa120$p6f$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                        > Same for me on my Mac. Delete or backspace doesn't work in Text Editor,
                        > unless you hold the ctrl or shift key. Though annoying, it works as a
                        > short term work around, but should be fixed by Adobe.

                        • 9. Re: CS3 bug: can't use delete key in Text Editor
                          Jack_Zwanenburg Level 1
                          I didn't have this problem with Fireworks Studio 8. But since using CS3 on MacOX 10.4 the keys don't work anymore. Same for my colleague, with the same configuration. So to me it look like's a general problem.
                          • 10. Re: CS3 bug: can't use delete key in Text Editor
                            AlsoKnownAs
                            I can confirm this too (running CS3 on OSX), and have also been using the CTRL+delete combo to get things done.

                            However, sometimes, if you forget to press CTRL and gleefully delete away, the display in the text editor goes completely out of sync with what is ultimately rendered on the page.

                            It's really annoying as I prefer to use the text editor as it is a more powerful environment to manipulate text, but this bug make it very painful to do so.

                            BTW, I have found that if you select the characters that you want to delete first, you get a more predictable result.