I'm trying to follow the instructions in the "Working With Load Balancing and Queueing" document for CS5 server. I've run four instances of ID Server using the recommended CORBA parameters in that document. Then I started LBQ by running the "clover.cmd" batch file (after tweaking it a bit, because they forgot to set the JAVA_HOME path). All seems well.
However, when I ping the LBQ as recommended, by opening this URL:
I get a message that Java has crashed. Specifically, it says "Java(TM) Platform SE binary has stopped working." Then Windows helpfully offers to find a solution (I've never actually experienced Windows finding a solution, ever). Of course then the browser request times out, and we're back to using QuarkXPress.
This is using Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard, Service Pack 1 (say that fast, 3 times), and InDesign CS5 Server 184.108.40.2065.
I thought perhaps the Java version was suspect, so I uninstalled it (both 32- and 64-bit versions) and installed fresh versions from www.java.com. Still the same problem. Then I thought, maybe it needs more memory, so I changed the command line -Xmx parameter from 512M to 1024M. Still the same problem.
The problem isn't InDesign Server, because it never actually gets to that point; it's in the LBQ Java code (I think) and/or some mystical Java configuration.
So I'm stumped. Has anyone successfully used Adobe's load balancing solution as documented?
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Additional information, in case it helps. Here's what the error window said:
Problem Event Name: BEX64 Application Name: java.exe Application Version: 220.127.116.11 Application Timestamp: 4da6a804 Fault Module Name: dt_socket.dll Fault Module Version: 18.104.22.168 Fault Module Timestamp: 4da6d3bf Exception Offset: 0000000000001309 Exception Code: c0000409 Exception Data: 0000000000000000 OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.272.7 Locale ID: 1033 Additional Information 1: e1a6 Additional Information 2: e1a6289dc6d17c927f01230bffde4c5c Additional Information 3: 3393 Additional Information 4: 3393c470574ba36965c268b6192f4966
Since it refers to "dt_socket.dll," I thought perhaps there was a firewall issue, so I made sure port 8080 was opened (even though since I'm pinging localhost, I think it doesn't matter). No success.
Turns out you have to run the "clover.cmd" batch file as Administrator. Then things work as advertised.