8 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2011 4:51 PM by leo'ssite

Why premiere CS% crashes opening project and in encore

leo'ssite Level 1

I have 12gb ram- CPU-I-7, NVIDIA 5000 plus graphics card, asus 58P motherboard.

I have a 2 hour project on my time line. When I open the project, the system crashes and about 5 minutes later works fine. I now want to export the timeline to Encore to make a dvd menu. Encore imports(dynamic Link) the sequence and at the 50% mark, crashes.but does not want to open. I have no idea why systems are crashing. I have not rendered the sequence in premiere pro as I don't know if I need to when going to encore. Comments would be appreciated.

Leo.

• 1. Re: Why premiere CS% crashes opening project and in encore
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          the system crashes and about 5 minutes later works fine.

So what is it? A crash or working fine?

If you are just impatient, it may be time to start tuning and maybe improve the hardware. See Adobe Forums: Guide for installing and tuning a Vista... which also applies to Win7.

• 2. Re: Why premiere CS% crashes opening project and in encore
            Jim_Simon Level 8

I have the same questions as Harm.  Your post is confusing.  You say PP cashes, then works fine.  A crash means it's not working fine.  Then you say Encore crashes, but it won't open.  A program can't crash if it's not open.

Some more clarity and precision of terminology in your post may be needed here.

• 3. Re: Why premiere CS% crashes opening project and in encore
              leo'ssite Level 1

Sorry for the confusion. What happens in PPro is that when I open up the

project, it looks normal. On the left side, I have templates and on the right,

the screen is yellow and stating that media is pending. When I try to open the

project ( the final one, above the templates to get to the sequences, my monitor

turns all white with a blue/green (ring size) going round and round.As well, I

am informed that the project is not responding. In approx 5 minutes I am able to

delve into the project and all is well.I am now ready to complete my project and

go to File/adobe dynamic link. Encore opens up and it proceeds to import the

sequence. At 50 percent import has stopped and the blue ring returns and just

keeps spinning. I expect that like in PPro, eventually the import of the

sequence will be done and all will be well. However, after 20 minutes there is

no change.The import box says-Import Pro Sequence(Not Responding)

• 4. Re: Why premiere CS% crashes opening project and in encore
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Have you updated your video drivers? If not, that would be my first step (also do the same for your audio driver, while you are at it).

What video card (make/model) do you have? What is the current driver version/date?

Keep in mind that a few of the newest drivers have had some issues, so you may actually have to roll back, if the mfgr.has not released a good one.

Also, with Media Pending, do you have any external, or networked HDD's in play?

When you just leave the computer, with Media Pending, does that ever go away?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Why premiere CS% crashes opening project and in encore
                  leo'ssite Level 1

Harm, this is brand new computer with only Adobe Creative Suite on it. This is

my second project. With what I put into the computer, did not envision problems.

Oh well such is live. Not being critical just frustrated in not understanding

what is going on. Will try the link. Thanks.

• 6. Re: Why premiere CS% crashes opening project and in encore
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

The symptoms you decribe, white screen, the beachball, the not-responding message and the media pending message all are indicative of a Windows problem. Probably you will encounter the same problem when for instance you have 5 large (2+ MB) .HTML files open in Dreamweaver and those files have been modified enternally and need to be reloaded, especially in split mode.

It boils down to the fact that when opening your project, PR needs to get all those files from disk, or at least the indexed and conformed files into memory, as well as the .PEK files and while it is waiting for that to happen, it shows the media pending message. Windows itself is usually in a hurry to show the not-responding message, while it is waiting to finish a requested task, even when it is responding, albeit slowly.

My guess is that you haven't tuned your system yet, see Adobe Forums: Guide for installing and tuning a Vista... which also applies to Win7 and your disk setup may be lacking the necessary speed. After following the tuning steps, you can try to delete the media cache and then reopen your project. It will index and conform your clips again, so be a little bit patient for that process to finish.

Also have a look here: Adobe Forums: Generic Guideline for Disk Setup

• 7. Re: Why premiere CS% crashes opening project and in encore
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

To supplement Harm's suggestons, this ARTICLE goes into a bit of detail on Conforming and Indexing.

It's been awhile since I last read through the Tune Up Tips, so all of these thoughts are probably in it, but they bear repeating here:

• Turn OFF all anti-anything programs, and this goes doubly for any "real time, active" scanning software
                      • Turn OFF Windows Indexing for all HDD's involved in video editing
                      • If your Windows Virtual Memory is being dynamically managed, instead establish an adequate size for it, and have it managed statically

Also, refer back to my earlier reply, regarding the video and audio drivers. A brand new build will probably have drivers that are at least six mos. out of date, so go to the mfgr's. sites, i.e. nVidia, or ATI, and get the latest driver for your vid-card. Same for the audio card.

Good luck, and please report.

Hunt

PS - Harm's article on HDD setup is a great one, and should be read by everyone setting up a computer for video editing. Please do not skip over that. Even if it does not provide a solution for your immediate problem, implementing his instructions will benefit greatly.

• 8. Re: Why premiere CS% crashes opening project and in encore
                        leo'ssite Level 1

Thanks. Problem with Encore, I have an error message-Didn't Initialize Quick

Time, Please reinstall. Will let you know how it goes.