Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cap5: Caption timing too short

May 11, 2011 May 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find that the automatically calculated caption timings are a little too short for my audience. I know I can adjust them manually, but that's a tedious process of trial and error. Is there any way to adjust the "reading speed" used to calculate the timing?

TOPICS
Recording

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello and welcome to the forum,

Each learner will have his own timing as well. Why do you not have something that pauses each slide and let the learner decide when to continue= a button or a click box? That is the approach I'm using mostly; even uncheck Calculate Caption Timing all the time. But of course it is your choice. I'm not aware of any setting you could change to increase all the timeline durations of all text captions with a certain percentage, sorry. That was your question, and I do not have the answer you want.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most of my audience finds it annoying to have to click a Continue or Next button, and in my opinion it interferes with learning. You're right that each learner will have his or her own timing as well, but when I've published lessons with calculated timing, a high percentage complain that it goes too fast -- and when I've manually slowed them down by 10 to 20 percent, no one has complained that it's too fast or too slow. So I think there's a sweet spot, at least for my audience, and Captivate missed it on the short side. Thanks for your reply!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can slow down or speed up playback by manipulating the frame rate of the movie, but this will also affect timing of voiceover if present.

Currently you can set captions with text to have Calculated Timing, but no further adjustment on the rate that this calculation applies.  It's more of a ball-park figure so that you don't have so much to do.  You're expected to drag the duration out to what you want. I would suggest that you log a feature request with Adobe for Cp6 that allows adjustment of the "calculation rate" for timed captions.  A slider control might be good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources