15 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2011 9:59 PM by the_wine_snob

Audio & Sequence questions in CS5

Bennycleefus

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum but not to Adobe. I've been using Adoboe Premiere 6.0 for years and it served my needs greatly but as a gift I got CS5. Now I'm having some issues w/audio and sequencing I thought you may be able to help out with. I've read a lot of the tuturials and am still having issues:

1. Audio: I'm used to being able to edit the waveform in a particular clip which you can't seem to do in CS5. You can move the waveform up or down but you can't break the waveform into pieces and set those pieces within a clip to different volumes. How would I go about doing that? If I wanted to fade in or fade out from a clip I used to just apply a break point in the clip and drag it down. I know there has to be a way to do this. I've played around w/the audio gain but am still very confused as to how to do this. I have video clips where I need to have music as my audio but some of the video has dialogue and some doesn't, therefore, I need to be able to adjust the audio within a specific clip.

2. Sequences: I'm editing a short sketch comedy bit. I have all my video edited and just need to import some JPEGS and GIFS. When I bring those to the timeline it makes them appear smaller and/or bigger than the actual size of the picture. I've dragged the jpegs/gifs to the new item icon to create new sequences and a new page opens up on the timeline for each time I do this. Now when I go to that page, the image looks fine but how do I get that corrected image on my original timeline with the video? I've tried dragging the new sequence to my original timeline and it still shows the pictures in their altered form. I've also tried nesting and that hasn't worked either. They are still appearing smaller and/or larger than how it should look.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you.

• 1. Re: Audio & Sequence questions in CS5
          the_wine_snob Level 9

For # 1, I will guess that you are Targeting the Audio Track to make the Cuts. When you Target just that Audio Track, you should be able to Cut using any of the various methods.

Good luck,

Hunt

BTW - welcome to the forum!

• 2. Re: Audio & Sequence questions in CS5
            the_wine_snob Level 9

For # 2, what are the pixel x pixel dimensions of the stills and what is the Sequence's Frame Size. I think that we'll find a mismatch there. There are ways around that mismatch, but before we go there, knowing the pixel x pixel dimensions will help.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Audio & Sequence questions in CS5
              Stanley Arthur Level 3

Select just the audio track on a timeline by clicking on it while holding the ALT key. Then you can razor just the audio track, leaving the video uncut. From there, you can either keyframe your fades or use audio transitions. The keyboard shortcut for applying a fade to the beginning or ending of a clip is CTRL+SHIFT > D. You have to first position the CTI to where you wish to add the fade. On the left end of the timeline window, make sure that the audio track you want to edit is selected, then you can use the page up/down keys to easily move to where you have made the cuts.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Audio & Sequence questions in CS5
                Jim_Simon Level 8

Benny,

This is pretty basic stuff that is well covered in the documentation for the program.  I suggest a thorough read through of the Help file, from beginning to end in sequence, trying each new thing as you learn it, looking up any words you don't know the meaning of.  Do that before working on a real project, and you will have far fewer problems.

• 7. Re: Audio & Sequence questions in CS5
                  Bennycleefus Level 1

Bill, thanks so much for your responses. I'm using a few different pics and they are all different sizes but for example there's one that's 640x400 and another that's 460x349. When I drag each one to the new item it creates a sequence for each that is the same exact size but when I drag that sequence to the timeline it doesn't fit correctly. However, like I mentioned on the new sequence tab it creates on the timeline, it appears fine. I just can't figure out how to get that sequenced picture onto my original timeline and nesting hasn't corrected it.

• 8. Re: Audio & Sequence questions in CS5
                    Bennycleefus Level 1

Thanks for your response. I did read up on these 2 issues and still couldn't figure it out so that's when I decided to ask on the forum.

• 9. Re: Audio & Sequence questions in CS5
                      Bennycleefus Level 1

Stanley, thanks so much for your response. The keyframe button was what I was missing. Thank you!

• 10. Re: Audio & Sequence questions in CS5
                        Bennycleefus Level 1

Stan, your demos were awesome. Thanks. I'm good w/the audio now. For the pics, I'm still having issues. I had already tried scale to frame and though I'm able to get the pictures closer to how they should look, it seems to stretch them out and some detail becomes blurry.

• 11. Re: Audio & Sequence questions in CS5
                          Stanley Arthur Level 3

Can you post a screenshot of what's happening? Or do what I did and make video at www.screenr.com. What are your project settings? Are you working in HD? SD? Are you using an I/O like Matrox or Aja? Do the pics look okay in your program window but not on your monitor? Is the resolution of some pics just too low to be usable?

• 12. Re: Audio & Sequence questions in CS5
                            Jim_Simon Level 8

I did read up on these 2 issues

A lot of folks will have a tendency to skip around and only look up the one thing they need at the moment, and like yourself they end up confused.  The reasons is there was important information that came before the section you tried to read, and you skipped it.  That's why it's best to go through from beginning to end.  That way you don't miss any vital data.  And be sure to look up the definition of any words you don't fully understand.  This will help ensure you fully grasp the material.

Do that, and you'll be sailing through your projects with much less difficulty and not get hung up on very basic procedures.

• 13. Re: Audio & Sequence questions in CS5
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Instead of creating a New Sequence for each still image size, I feel that you will be better off establishing a Sequence that matches any Video in the Project, and then Scaling the stills to match that. In CS5, the ability to Scale has been greatly improved, however is one has overly-large stills, there is still the processing overhead to be considered.

The Scaling to Frame Size can be done automatically with "Scale to Default Frame Size" (or similar syntax) checked, or can be done in another program, like PS, and with Actions, that will be automated to a point, as well. Cannot recall if I posted this link above, but take a look at this ARTICLE. Read down the thread, as there are newer comments (article was written years ago, when SD was the norm, and CS5 was not even a dream yet), that reflect on improvements to PrPro, as of CS5.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: Audio & Sequence questions in CS5
                                Bennycleefus Level 1

Bill,

Thanks for all your input. I decided to resize all the pictures in a separate program to 1 uniform size, then imported them in and it's works fine. Not sure what the difference is other than I resized them outside of Adobe and then brought them into Adobe. I'm just happy it's working now! Thanks again!

Stan, thank you for your input as well. You've both been extremely helpful and I appreciate your time.

Ben

-

Bill Hunt <forums@adobe.com> wrote:

Instead of creating a New Sequence for each still image size, I feel that you will be better off establishing a Sequence that matches any Video in the Project, and then Scaling the stills to match that. In CS5, the ability to Scale has been greatly improved, however is one has overly-large stills, there is still the processing overhead to be considered.

The Scaling to Frame Size can be done automatically with "Scale to Default Frame Size" (or similar syntax) checked, or can be done in another program, like PS, and with Actions, that will be automated to a point, as well. Cannot recall if I posted this link above, but take a look at this http://forums.adobe.com/thread/450798?tstart=0. Read down the thread, as there are newer comments (article was written years ago, when SD was the norm, and CS5 was not even a dream yet), that reflect on improvements to PrPro, as of CS5.

Good luck,

Hunt

>

• 15. Re: Audio & Sequence questions in CS5
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Ben,

Very glad that it's now working for you, and thanks for reporting your success!

Good luck,

Hunt