22 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2011 8:23 AM by the_wine_snob

Question

lindaewen1 Level 1

Hi,

I have grabed video 8 footage from an old sony handycam video recorder onto my pc & I am trying to transfer them onto my portable hard drive so that I can view them on tv. I am very new to this, so please make it as simple as possible please if anyone has an answer.

Regards,

Linda

• 1. Re: Question
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

First, what did you use to get the 8mm footage into your computer? What specific device?

Second, what types of video files did it produce on your computer? What is the suffix behind the file? .avi? .mpg? mp4?

Finally are you sure your TV is capable of playing video off a hard drive? What device do you have for playing this video and, if you know, what formats of video files is it capable of playing? (If you don't know, at least tell us the name and model of the device so we can look it up.)

• 2. Re: Question
            lindaewen1 Level 1

Thanks fo your prompt reply, sorry if I sound a bit vague.

1. Eminent Video Grabber.

2. avi,  mpg, wmv, mov,

3. Yes tv already playing of hard drive.  Hard drive is a screenplay pro plus.

Thanks,

Linda.

• 3. Re: Question
              lindaewen1 Level 1

Hi Steve,

I forgot to mention I have managed to get some on, but the quality is poor!!

• 4. Re: Question
                lindaewen1 Level 1

Hi me again!

One I managed to put on was Indeo (r) video r3.2. AVI. but quality was very poor!!

• 5. Re: Question
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Linda,

What video formats and CODEC's can your TV handle?

Indeo is a very old CODEC, and was never very good, when it was current.

Before we recommend better options, it would be helpful to know what the choices would be.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Question
                    lindaewen1 Level 1

Hi Hunt.

My TV is a JVC, HD Digital & the hard drive is connected via HD cable.  The TV is Just over 2 years old.

Thanks.

• 7. Re: Question
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

What would be helpful would be the list of formats and CODEC's, that it is capable of handling. There should be a little chart in the manual, that defines which ones will work. At the TV must have the same CODEC, as the AV file, there will be limits. Within those limits, there will probably be 1, or so, that will be better.

Good luck, and let us know what that chart says.

Hunt

• 8. Re: Question
                        lindaewen1 Level 1

Sorry Hunt, I have been looking through the manual, but cant find anything about codecs.  The model of tv is JVC LT-37DR7BU

• 9. Re: Question
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Even on the JVC site, I could not find this, or even a similar unit. The only computer connections listed on any current model seem to be Sub-D, and not USB for hooking up an external HDD.

The only hits for the JVC LT-37DR7BU "specifications" wanted to sell me the manual, and if yours does not list the formats and CODEC's, I assume that the ones for sale would be missing that info, as well.

One guess, but this is predicated on other TV's, that allow HDD connections, would be the DivX CODEC. It's free from DivX, and PrE should be able to Encode to it, when properly installed. Remember, that is just a guess.

Good luck, and maybe others will know the TV and can comment on what works well for them.

Hunt

• 10. Re: Question
                            lindaewen1 Level 1

Thanks for you suggestion, I had the free trial of DIVX but it has run out & they are asking me to pay for it.  Do you think I should pay for it?

Linda.

• 11. Re: Question
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

The actual CODEC is free. Now, there is a DivX Converter and a Pro version of the encoding engine, that are commercially available. I have those on my workstation, but do not use them that often. On my laptop, I only have the free CODEC, and it works fine from both PrE and PrPro. You should not have to pay for anything, if you are just using the CODEC.

Also, remember, DivX was just a guess on my part, based on a format/CODEC that works on some other users' TV sets, that accept AV files. It might/might not work with your JVC.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Question

Your problem is the Emminent Video Grabber. The video is grabs is not fully compatible with Premiere Elements and will give you terrible results.

You'd be better off using one of the devices we recommend, like the ADS Pyro AV Link. The video will load beautifully into Premiere Elements, and you'll get excellent results in whatever format you need to output it as.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/431853?tstart=0

1 person found this helpful
                                • 13. Re: Question
                                  lindaewen1 Level 1

Hi Steve.

I have tried the pass through option and everything works fine untill I connect the camcorder to the pc!!!! and my cam goes blank!! Is it possible to copy the tapes from analogue cam to digital tape through the cam?

Linda.

• 14. Re: Question

Yes. That's an excellent solution -- IF your camcorder will record in VTR mode.

All camcorders used to be able to do this. Fewer do now though.

• 15. Re: Question
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Along those lines, many PAL cameras began dropping the "pass-through" Mode, due to tariff issues. For a period of time, the same in the same basic cameras, but the NTSC versions still had it, and the change was only with the PAL versions.

As you comment, Steve, that capability has been fading away, in both NTSC & PAL-land.

Many advocate picking up an older DV-tape camera WITH pass-through capabilities, used, even if the camera does not record anymore, then using it, like an A-D bridge only for the purpose of doing analog Capture. Some have found units on eBay for but a few $'s (or £'s), and they have worked fine.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                                      • 16. Re: Question
                                        lindaewen1 Level 1

Thanks for all your help with this problem.

I have managed to get my tapes onto portable hard drive via pass through method, the only problem i had was getting a suitable conversion compatible to tv but have now succeeded.

Once again, many thanks for your suggestions.

Linda.

• 17. Re: Question
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Linda,

That is great news, and thank you for reporting your success.

I have to say that I, for one, learned something in the process here. As none of my TV's has USB direct feed for streaming files, I did not even have something to test the formats/CODEC's for you.

Can you please tell us the exact format/CODEC, that worked for your JVC? That info will very likely help others in the future, and it does seem that streaming to the TV is part of the future.

Thanks, and good luck,

Hunt

• 18. Re: Question
                                            lindaewen1 Level 1

Hi Bill, sorry to have taken so long to get back to you!

The codec I used is vob, so far so good!  I am 65 years old so I am delighted I managed to do this with your help, as I had so many old v8 tapes which I could not use as someone stole my old camcorder, but fortunatley a friend had one.

Nice to have them all digitilised!!

Linda.

• 19. Re: Question
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Linda,

Actually, the "VOB" is a "container," and it will be using the MPEG-2 CODEC inside that container.

Cannot remember if I linked to these articles, but this one will tell you more about Containers/Wrappers, and then this one more about DVD's/VOB's.

Hope that helps, and good luck,

Hunt

PS - we're right at the same age.

• 20. Re: Samsung Galaxy 3 GT-15800
                                                lindaewen1 Level 1

Hi Bill, back again with another problem!!!!

I have just bought this phone and I am already pulling my hair out!!!

I am trying to connect to my computer, I have been told in the Vodafone shop to download Kies which I did, but it crashes my computer!!!!!!

Can anyone help please??????

Linda.

• 21. Re: Samsung Galaxy 3 GT-15800
                                                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What does that have to do with Premiere Elements... or ANY Adobe software?

You need to find a forum or factory support site for that telephone

• 22. Re: Samsung Galaxy 3 GT-15800
                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Linda,

I would contact Vodaphone, and inquire about that recommended software. I do not know it. The software might also have a support Web site, with tips, or better yet, a support forum.

I am totally unaware of the software, or what problems might exist - sorry.

Good luck,

Hunt