6 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2011 6:06 AM by i_dream_of_jeannie

Help please

corby70

I have just purchased premier

elements 9, when i go to edit a video it plays back choppy and slowere than the sound. I've installed all updates and done a defragment and still the same no matter if i use a windows media file or mp4. I am using vista 64 bit, i have a toshiba laptop with pentium dual CPU T3200 @ 2.00GHz and 3GB RAM. I need help please.

• 1. Re: Help please
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>toshiba laptop

Unless you have at least TWO 7200rpm hard drives, you will never be happy edting video

Trying to use only ONE Hard Drive for Video Editing
          You are a music conductor, with a baton that you use to point to various parts of the orchestra... this is like Windows pointing to various parts of the hard drive to do Windows housekeeping or to load program segments for various functions
          Now, at the same time and with the same hand... while still using the baton to conduct the orchestra... pick up a bow and play a fiddle... this would be doing something with your video file at the same time as all the other work
          You as a person cannot do both at the same time with the same hand
          A computer is a LITTLE better, in that it can switch from one kind of task to another very quickly... but not quickly enough for easy video editing
          One hard drive is not as good as two which is not as good as three

• 2. Re: Help please
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

When you say "dual CPU," do you mean Duo-Core, or dual Duo-Core? I've never seen a laptop with dual CPU's, but might have missed one.

With much HD material, like AVCHD/H.264, the CPU is very important, and a Quad-core, or i7-9xx series is highly recommended. Next, and as John T. says, comes the I/O, i.e. the HDD's.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Help please
              corby70 Level 1

So I have a du

al cpu t3200 @ 2.00ghz 2.00ghz and that will always play it the same way. Do I just buy a bigger hard drive or processor or should i just get a new computer and what would you recommend or specs that isn't too pricey. If I get a graphix card will it be the same?

• 4. Re: Help please
                corby70 Level 1

I know nothing about computers and think mine is too old and small but my girlfriends is a core 2 duo t7300 @ 2.00 ghz 2.00ghz 2 gb RAM with a nvidia 3d graphix card , is that good enough?

• 5. Re: Help please
                  Ted Smith Level 3

When you say choppy, are there red lines above the clips in the timeline? If so this means.

1. If they are there when you first import the video you havent set the proper project setting to match your camera video.

2. If they are there after you edit, it means you have to render the area around the effect you have used. Move the workspace markers to either side of the red line and press the enter key.

If eveything shows a green line then your computer is probably too slow or is not set up properly or you have too many other utiltities like virus detectors running at the same time..

Laptops often have video output that is too slow for video editing and you often cant fit a fast card to them. Some video (particularly on the motherboard) use up some of the RAM so you have less to use than you think. 4gb is preferred. When you use up all the RAM your computer temporarily stores stuff on the disk. This takes far longer to do than on the RAM chip resulting in jerkyness.

I have a case computer with similar specs to you with a medium speed video card, 4gb RAM and it previews full HD perfectly smoothly once I installed 3 disks (as long as everything is rendered).

With only 1 disk and 2gb RAM some 'jerks' lasted five seconds!

You can't really write and read from a disk at the same time so you need at least 2 disks!

• 6. Re: Help please
                    i_dream_of_jeannie Level 1

Your answers to Ted's questions might help.