5 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2011 3:31 PM by chazeroo

Hi. Using Premier Elements9

chazeroo

Hi

I'm using premier elements 9. Putting together a musical video of 20 people singing a song, one line each.  I video recorded each person separately ( miming their own line in the song ), dropped each video into the timeline video 1 track  in the correct order and dragged the backing track of the song into the Audio 2 track. I now need to edit each video clip precisely at beginning and end, and glue them together so their lips are in sync with the prerecorded song.

So far so good BUT, every time I stop the curser and go forwards or backwards in the timeline, the music on Audio 2 track carries on from the point at which it stopped. Does that make sense ? To put it another way, if I start the curser at zero and press play, the music and video start together which is fine. Say I press pause  after 20 seconds to make an adjustment, then wind the curser back by 10 seconds, when I press play the music carries on from the 20 second position. This makes it impossible tp sync the singers with the song !

Could anyone tell me what is wrong.

Thanks Charlie

• 1. Re: Hi. Using Premier Elements9
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I know of no idea why this would be, Charlie.

What type of camcorder is your video coming from and how did you get it into your computer? Which project settings did you select when you set up your Premiere Elements project?

What file format is your audio in? If it's in MP3, convert it to a WAV file (using a free program like Audacity). You should see dramatically improved performance.

• 2. Re: Hi. Using Premier Elements9
            Ted Smith Level 3

I would first make one master video track 1 the length of the audio track. It can be anything or blank as you dont use the video for this track.

You can make one from the first person's clip by adding blank video equal to the length of the audio track.

You then put each of the other singers on track 2 and track 3 alternately instead of on the same track.

You can then drag them back and forth with the mouse quite independently to get the sync exact. The top track 3 always takes precedence so you put markers on it and adjust them with the mouse to cut the video level to zero on the top track 3 when you want the second track to appear.(or simply snip the ends off the top track.)

Like this

Track3   ______333___555___777

Track2   ___222___444___666___

Track1   111xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Audio    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Ideally if you can do it again, have the first singer sing all the parts  on one track 1 even though only the first one will be used. This makes it easier to get the lip sync correct by temporarily setting the video level of the upper track to 50% so they appear superimposed.

If your individual clips are longer than the space between 2 singers than put them on a 4th track and cut them down before dragging them to the 3rd track.

• 3. Re: Hi. Using Premier Elements9
              Ted Smith Level 3

Assembling and fiddling on one track may need rendering but if you have individual tracks you should not need to render them when you move one.

Render it if you have red lines above at the top mof the timeline. Unrendered sync can be anywhere.

• 4. Re: Hi. Using Premier Elements9
                chazeroo Level 1

Hi Steve and Ted

Thank you so very much for the advice. I was tearing my hair out last night but having replaced the soundtrack with a WAV file ( I was using a AIFF file  mixed using Cubase ) and heeding further advice from Ted Smith re placing adjacent video clips on additional alternate tracks, everything seems to work just fab. I am very grateful.

Charlie

• 5. Re: Hi. Using Premier Elements9
                  chazeroo Level 1

Hi Steve and Ted

Thank you so very much for the advice. I was tearing my hair out last night but having replaced the soundtrack with a WAV file ( I was using a AIFF file  mixed using Cubase ) and heeding further advice from Ted Smith re placing adjacent video clips on additional alternate tracks, everything seems to work just fab. I am very grateful.

Charlie