17 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2011 10:07 AM by payal_C

My System Crashes while editing

payal_C

hi all,

i recently got a new system and i am not able to edit properly on it. following are my system specs

i7 2600 with onboard graphics card

2*2GB Ram

Intel DH67BL

1 TB Seagat HD

180 GB Seagate HD (old hard disk)

250 GB Seagate HD (old hard disk)

now when i edit in Premiere CS5 or for that matter even in grass valley edius 6 while editing the computer just stops responding and get hanged. i am posting the problem detail which are as follows:

Source
      Adobe Premiere Pro CS5

Summary
      Stopped working

Date
      5/3/2011 1:24 PM

Status
      Not reported

Description
      Faulting Application Path:    C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS5\Adobe Premiere Pro.exe

Problem signature
      Problem Event Name:    BEX64
      Application Name:    Adobe Premiere Pro.exe
      Application Version:    5.0.0.0
      Application Timestamp:    4bb568b7
      Fault Module Name:    StackHash_1dc2
      Fault Module Version:    0.0.0.0
      Fault Module Timestamp:    00000000
      Exception Offset:    0000000000000000
      Exception Code:    c0000005
      Exception Data:    0000000000000008
      OS Version:    6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
      Locale ID:    1033
      Additional Information 1:    1dc2
      Additional Information 2:    1dc22fb1de37d348f27e54dbb5278e7d
      Additional Information 3:    11ae
      Additional Information 4:    11aef3f7a9160fb60e80d644649076ab

i dont know whats the problem. i use to edit far smoothly and easily in my pentium 4 system and never had such a problem. this is clearly not only premiere issue since the system also hangs while editing in edius.

one more thing i noticed is the system hangs when i try to reduce the frames of the clip in time line i.e when i drag the clip in time line to reduce or increase the length of the clip.

any thing u suggest? is it my motherboard or do i need to get a graphics card or do i need something else?

thanks in advance

• 1. Re: My System Crashes while editing
          Harm Millaard Level 7

With this setup, you will have a number of problems.

1. PR 5.0. Try updating to 5.03

2. Integrated graphics is a huge performance hog. Look for a nVidia GTX 550+ card and disable the integrated graphics.

3. Only 4 GB of RAM. That is another performance hog. Increase that to at least 8 GB or better 16 GB.

4. Check that the old disks still function and do not have bad sectors.

5. Consider adding a Samsung F4 320 GB as the OS disk and use the 1 TB Seagate for media.

Have a look at: Adobe Forums: Guide for installing and tuning a Vista... which also applies to Win7 and Adobe Forums: Generic Guideline for Disk Setup

Hang as in BSOD or showing 'not responding' or requiring the reset switch or CTRL-ALT-DEL or something else?

• 2. Re: My System Crashes while editing
            payal_C Level 1

when it  hangs nothing happens i have to reset the system

• 3. Re: My System Crashes while editing
              Harm Millaard Level 7

And your patience was how long? Did you let it run overnight?

• 4. Re: My System Crashes while editing
                payal_C Level 1

i waited for almost 5 mints. b4 pressed the reset button. does upgrading the display adapter be of any use? i see if i update the driver of intel HD graphics family, its looking online and also trying to download the drivers. but i stopped it fearing it may make my system unstable. besides when i am working in premiere i also keep a check on ram and the ram used is only around 2 gb, mostly it is below 2 gb. i dont know if my ram is less as its not using full 4 gb.

regards,

• 5. Re: My System Crashes while editing
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

If you meant by: '5 mints', five minutes and you just misspelled, then that is far too short a time with a system like that. Had you said 500 minutes, I would agree there is something wrong. Now the only culprit I suspect is your own impatience.

PR can not use more than 2 GB when all you have is 4 GB. The OS is required to run too. The consequence is that you are heavily dependent on your pagefile and your disk setup, which is ???

• 6. Re: My System Crashes while editing
                    payal_C Level 1

how long do u expect me to wait before i reset my system? sorry for the spelling mistake. where can i read about setting up a pagefile?

• 7. Re: My System Crashes while editing
                      payal_C Level 1

one more thing i wanted to say is  even while editing mpeg files in edius the system hangs. i use to edit the mpeg files (*.vob) in my old pentium 4 system and it used to work very nicely. i dont understand why my new system gets hanged when i edit .vob files.

• 8. Re: My System Crashes while editing
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

If you are very lucky, your system is only 20 times slower than a fast system, so where one would normally wait a couple of minutes in a worst case scenario, you have to multiply that by a factor 20 in a best case scenario.

For pagefile settings, there have been numerous posts here on how to do that. Do a search or learn the basics of setting up a Windows machine first.

• 9. Re: My System Crashes while editing
                          RjL190365 Level 4

As Harm mentioned, that configuration is substandard overall compared to what PR CS5.x really needs. Also, 5.0.0 is really buggy compared to later releases.

Although I want to add that the H67 chipset itself might have contributed to the problems: There are two H67-based systems on the PPBM5 results list that had a discrete graphics card installed. Both of them scored far slower than they should have in MPE GPU mode, with times in that mode exceeding 100 seconds compared to the 10 seconds or less such cards have achieved in a similar system with a P67 chipset-based motherboard. I suspect that those extremely slow MPE results from H67-based systems were caused in part by the PCIe-x16 slot itself defaulting to x1 mode instead of the proper x16 mode.

Also, does your system hard lock (as in you could not even move the mouse cursor on the screen)? If so, you should work on getting your system stable first.

• 10. Re: My System Crashes while editing
                            payal_C Level 1

thanks RjL,

my system do get hard lock. i am not able to move the cursor on the screen. do u think its might be windows related problem?

• 11. Re: My System Crashes while editing
                              payal_C Level 1

i have updated to premiere cs5.0.3. today my system suddenly got hanged when i was perfroming a simple operation like search. everything got hanged and i could not move my cursor after waiting for 10 mints i hit the start button on my system (i.e on  my cabinet) after another 5 minutes the windows got shutdown by itself i.e all the programs and explorer windows got shut and the computer shut down in a proper way.

do u suspect windows 7 problem? i used cpu meter gadget of windows 7 to monitor ram and it didn't use much ram. also no permiere or after effects was running.

can you please help?

• 12. Re: My System Crashes while editing
                                Harm Millaard Level 7

Shutting down, without having given the order, even if it looks like the normal shutdown, can be indicative of a hardware problem. Check the Event Viewer for error messages, check your temperatures, because it may be a thermal protection kicking in, check your memory and check your voltages.

1. Right click My Computer, select Manage, and inspect the Event Viewer/Windows Logs/System and Application.

2. Use HWMonitor or Speedfan for temps and voltages.

3. Use Memtest86+ to check your memory.

Your PPBM5 results are encouraging, only around 10 - 11 times slower than a fast machine. I'll publish them one of these days.

• 13. Re: My System Crashes while editing
                                  payal_C Level 1

thank you harm for your reply. i'll definately do what you have said and i appreciate your reply regarding my ppbm result.

regards

• 14. Re: My System Crashes while editing
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Along the lines of Harm's suggestions above, take a look at this ARTICLE. It has links to many of Harm's tools, and more links that might prove helpful.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: My System Crashes while editing
                                      payal_C Level 1

hi

i just downloaded and excuted cpuz on my system. i am attaching the screenshot of cpuz memory tab. i see that the memory slot shows the dram frequency of 665.3 Mhz. i was wondering if the speed of the ram is slow which might be causing my system to crash? just a wild thought.

• 16. Re: My System Crashes while editing
                                        Harm Millaard Level 7

No. This is the logical consequence of running the i7-2600 CPU at stock speed, 3.40 GHz, resulting in DDR3-1333 memory speed. That is the default for this chipset. Across the board your system with a total score of 622 seconds belongs solidly in the Q1 range, with the exception of the MPE test, where it belongs to the D1 category. Not one test stands out from the others and it does not stand out from other systems in that range of total scores.

Nevertheless, it being a new system, I think you can improve performance by diligent tuning, for instance by turning off compression and indexing on all disks, permanently disabling the sidebar, uninstalling games and MSN and fax services and the like, turning off Aero, checking all the boot services with the Black Viper list, disabling processes like jusched.exe and mDNSResponder.exe and other unneeded stuff.

• 17. Re: My System Crashes while editing
                                          payal_C Level 1

hi harm,

i stopped many unwanted services and to an extent the freezing of my system has been less. nevertheless at times it did freeze and rebooted with memory dump and at times when it froze it started working on it own (though i didn't have to wait much). i checked the event viewer and found a critical error of kernel-power. event id 41 task category 63. i read in one forum that kernel-power is due to two audio drivers conflicting with each other. i dont have two audio devices though in device manager i find two hi-defination audio devices under sound video and game controller. Location of one is 0 and another is 3. can this  be the cause of my system freezing?

regards,