9 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2011 8:30 AM by bernk

Is there no way to Copy/Paste an entire Layer?

bernk Level 1

I'm using Fw on a project for the first time, and although I'm loving its screendesign specific features I have some gripes with how some things work—or do not.

At the moment I'm getting very frustrated by the fact that I can't seem to copy/paste a layer with all of its objects and sublayers.

If I'm being blind—and I hope I am—please let me know!

Cheers,

Bern

• 1. Re: Is there no way to Copy/Paste an entire Layer?
          Linda Nicholls Level 4

Hmm. It works for me. I have Single Layer Editing checked in the Layers menu, and when I copy and paste the objects paste directly over the original ones but in the new layer. If I didn't look in the Layers panel for the pasted ones, I wouldn't know they were there because they paste in the same locations as the originals.

• 2. Re: Is there no way to Copy/Paste an entire Layer?
            bernk Level 1

I'm using CS5.1 for Mac and it does not behave this way for me.

Also, why is that when I select a layer in the Layers panel it doesn't select everything that is part of that layer? Sublayers and hidden objects are excluded from the selection. This is extremely annoying.

As an example: I have a layer named Table, in this layer I have a bunch of text layers for the table data and then a sublayer named Rows which contains the shapes which make up the row backgrounds for the table. If I select the Table layer in the Layers panel and copy/paste it will not copy the row rectangles in the Row sublayer. Not only that, when I paste it won't paste into a new layer but into itself! Effectively doubling up the content of the Table layer. The same is true when Single Layer Editing is disabled.

Fireworks—I want to love you so badly, but you make it difficult.

• 3. Re: Is there no way to Copy/Paste an entire Layer?
              Linda Nicholls Level 4

I work on a mac too. Could you please upload your editable PNG file somewhere so I can have a look at it? That's really the only way to understand what's going on.

• 4. Re: Is there no way to Copy/Paste an entire Layer?
                Linda Nicholls Level 4

I forgot to mention that you'll need to press Shift and manually select the sub-layers before copy and paste. Does that solve your problem?

• 5. Re: Is there no way to Copy/Paste an entire Layer?
                  bernk Level 1

Thank you for trying to help Linda!

My file: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/781660/Table.png

Yes, I've noticed that you must manually Shift select sublayers and hidden objects—why, I cannot understand.

As I'm working on this project I'm putting together a list of gripes and bugs I have come across. Is there a place I can send this to where it might actually do some good?

Thanks again!

• 6. Re: Is there no way to Copy/Paste an entire Layer?
                    Linda Nicholls Level 4

Here's a link to the Adobe feature request/bug report form.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Why must you select them? That's just the way it works. I'll be honest with you and tell you that in the twelve years I've been using FW, I"ve never found it necessary to use layers or sub-layers. :-)

• 7. Re: Is there no way to Copy/Paste an entire Layer?
                      bernk Level 1

I like to keep my object organized when working, especially on complicated screens. I can't imagine not using layers …though I have been using Photoshop since before layers were even around

A practical example is copying and pasting something like the table in my file, which is why posted in this forum in the first place. What could be easier then selecting the layer with all the objects on it, copying it, and pasting it into a new document for example? Fw has a long way to go in usability…

In the 10 or so hours of using Fw I've already noted the following:

- let me delete layers using the delete key (and other things in other panels, eg. pages)

- let me use arrow keys to select through items in panels

- let me name, group, reorder, and resize swatches

- let me move the insertion point in text by words and to the end/beginning of a line

- text insertion point shouldn't disappear when moving it around with arrow keys

- let me have a single column tools panel

- improve layer selection behaviour in the Layers panel (bug: sometimes Shift-select causes erratic behaviour and random selections)

- let me copy/paste a layer from the Layers panel (especially from one document to another)

- let me distribute objects by their edges or centres

- when a layer is selected, select all objects, even hidden ones, and sublayers contained in that layer

- why can't I copy and paste layers with all of their content in the correct order?

- why can't I hide layers when I have more than one state on a page?

- remember tool properties (eg. Text tool line height)

- can't Command-deselect pages in the Pages panel

• 8. Re: Is there no way to Copy/Paste an entire Layer?
                        Jim_Babbage Level 4

There is an extension you can download from the Fireworks Exchange that will help with this. It's free and called Hierarchical Layer Copy. Check itout and see if that helps.

HTH

1 person found this helpful