17 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2011 5:18 PM by P_Forrest

Regarding the CS5.5 Upgrade

Jay Gladwell Level 1

There was a previous thread on this topic, but, not being the brightest light on the tree, I'm not certain I fully understand what was being said in the first few posts.

I have Premiere Pro CS5. The upgrade version to CS5.5 just arrived. Can an upgrade version be installed as a separate application, or will it automatically upgrade (overwrite) the CS5 version to 5.5?

Thanks!

P.S. To forum administrators, it would be helpful if links opened in a new window.

• 1. Re: Regarding the CS5.5 Upgrade
          Colin Brougham Level 6

It's separate. Install without fear.

P.S. To forum administrators, it would be helpful if links opened in a new window.

I don't think this should be the default; an easy way to deal with this is to hold the Control key and click the link. At least in Firefox, this opens in a new tab.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Regarding the CS5.5 Upgrade
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Both versions can co-exit well, and having the "old friend" handy is often a booty-saver, if a client gets in a rush.

Adobe programs are good in this respect, as there is seldom ANY overwriting, though one might need to tweak File Associations in the OS, depending on what they want to happen automatically. This can get a bit convoluted with multiple suites.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Regarding the CS5.5 Upgrade
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

I have CS4, CS5, and CS5.5 versions of applications on the same machine. This is normal and expected. CS5.5 will not overwrite or impair CS5.

• 4. Re: Regarding the CS5.5 Upgrade
                davidbeisner2010 Level 3

the_wine_snob wrote:

Both versions can co-exit well,

Nice Freudian slip there, especially for those users who experience frequent crashes!

• 5. Re: Regarding the CS5.5 Upgrade
                  Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The are two seperate programs.

I do find CS5 projects imported into CS5.5 dont work that well.

New project no problems with the same footage (hdv-mpeg and GoProHD-mp4)

Open link while holding Ctrl.

• 6. Re: Regarding the CS5.5 Upgrade
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Good catch! That is what I get for trying to multi-task...

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Regarding the CS5.5 Upgrade
                      japeh123

Deleted

Message was edited by: japeh123 after getting "unexpected error" message

• 8. Re: Regarding the CS5.5 Upgrade
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

I don't think this should be the default

I do.  DVXuser works that way.  It's nice to clink on a link and know for certain your pervious page remains open in it's own tab, rather than having to back track to see it again.

Forum links opening in a new tab by default is a nice improvement, I say.

• 9. Re: Regarding the CS5.5 Upgrade
                          japeh123 Level 1

deleted

Message was edited by: japeh123 after getting another "unexpected error" message

• 10. Re: Regarding the CS5.5 Upgrade
                            japeh123 Level 1

After saving my money to buy a new PC to run the 64 bit applications, I finally upgraded to Production Premium CS5 in late March.

I was delighted to learn that I was eligible for a free upgrade to CS5.5. I replied to Adobe email and put in a request and duly received a confirmation.

The message said: "don't call us, the upgrade will automatically ship when available".

I have not yet received my complimentary upgrade. Have I been forgotten?

I can understand that Adobe is shipping "paid for" orders first.

Do you know if anyone has received a complimentary upgrade to Production Premium CS5.5 yet?

Message was edited by: japeh123 for the third time.

• 11. Re: Regarding the CS5.5 Upgrade
                              Jay Gladwell Level 1

Thanks to all who provided answers--much appreciated!

I presume I have to reinstall all plugins, unless there is way of migrating them from 5 to 5.5...?

• 12. Re: Regarding the CS5.5 Upgrade
                                Colin Brougham Level 6

Some plug-in installers need to be updated to recognize the CS5.5 folder, but for the most part, I think all the plug-ins work. You can copy everything in your C:\Program Files\Adobe\Common\Plug-ins\CS5\MediaCore folder to C:\Program Files\Adobe\Common\Plug-ins\CS5.5\MediaCore and they'll appear in the UI.

(Adapt the path where necessary for Mac.)

• 13. Re: Regarding the CS5.5 Upgrade
                                  Jay Gladwell Level 1

Thank you, Colin.

• 14. Re: Regarding the CS5.5 Upgrade
                                    movado242

you will have to call Adobe.  They will ask u to send a copy of your receipt..it took me about 10-15 minutes on the phne with them after they got the receipt

• 15. Re: Regarding the CS5.5 Upgrade
                                      movado242 Level 1

you will have to call Adobe.  They will ask u to send a copy of your receipt..it took me about 10-15 minutes on the phne with them after they got the receipt

• 16. Re: Regarding the CS5.5 Upgrade
                                        JKad Level 1

I "applied" for the upgrade on 4/14 but didn't get a response from Adobe.  I made a mistake and called the customer service line.  What a fiasco.  Anyway, after several calls and hours on the phone, I finally got my 5th approval and an order was placed.  I received 5.5 production premium on 5/10 of this week.

The upgrade didn't go without a hitch though.  I had about 5 warnings.  The installer said to restart, stop all anti-virus programs and anything in the startup folder folled by a reinstall.  I did that and tried a reinstall; then got more error and warning messages than I did the first time.  Uninstalled; stopped anti-virus, stopped a number of unnecessary processes and tried again.  Got the same warnings.

This was beginning to really tick me off.  Did some research on the Adobe site.  4 of the 5 error messages had no hits on search.  One did and it turns out that I had a newer Reader active-x than the installer; why didn't it just say that!  The other 4 I have no idea why I have warnings and the warnings don't tell me enough to tell if I have a problem or not.

I don't think this installer is ready for prime time.  Installing PPrem 5 did not have this problem.

About having both 5 and 5.5 on the same machine.  When I got CC 5 I already had Photoshop 4 on my machine.  I fully intended to replace it with CS5 but didn't get the option to "replace".  After installing, I un-installed Photoshop 4.  Doing an un-install of Photoshop 4 broke all of my file extension defaults as to what program Win7 would use to open a file depending on the file extension.  There are a lot of file extensions I'm talking about here.  Not an easy task to manually fix.  I ended up uninstalling CS5 and reinstalling to fix this mess.

It would certainly help if Adobe had some information on how their installer worked.  Not too much to ask I don't think.

• 17. Re: Regarding the CS5.5 Upgrade
                                          P_Forrest Level 1

I've got CS5 and CS5.5 on my PC.  No issues for me at this time.   Premiere Pro CS5.5 seems faster to me.   I'm not sure why.

Petey