7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2011 3:39 PM by Pedro_es

Asus P8Z68-V Pro VS P8P67 Pro B3...stability and performance

Pedro_es

Hello everybody,

Fist of all I want to thank the people of this forum for the good job that are doing.

I am planning to build a computer for video editing and after reading a LOT of informing post here I have decided to choose the Sandy Bridge platform as it fit my budget and my needs. However I was a bit concerned when I read the Videoguys guide where they don't recommend Sandy Bridge because:

"Integrated graphics is one of the biggest tech nightmares for NLE. On the Windows side this is just a recipe for disaster. Even when you can disable on board GPU, it creates stability issues down the road that can be impossible to resolve for video editing. While this mobo does not have Integrate graphics, the chips do. Knowing our years of frustration tech supporting integrated graphics, I'm just not willing to recommend it for serious NLE work at this time."

I was planning to buy the Asus P8Z68-V Pro motherboard as Intel Quick Sync can be useful in the future but I am concern about if it can be a bad choice in terms of performance or stability. Therefore, any of you have experience any reiterate stability issue with the sandy bridge platform while editing? I this motherboard going to decrease my discrete graphic performance?

Here are the complete specs of the computer i am planning to buy:

Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V Pro / Asus P8P67 Pro B3

Processor: i7 2600K

RAM: 16GB RIPJAWS X 1600 CL8

Graphic card: GTX 560 Ti 1GB  (Is the 560 Ti 2GB worth?)

HDD: 5 Samsung F3 500GB (Is the F3 1TB 32MB cache worth?) 1 for the OS and the rest for two sets of raid 0.

Power: Corsair TX850 V2 850W

Case: Cooler Master Dominator CM-690 II Advanced

Cpu cooler: Hyper 212

Thanks a lot for reading!! Sorry about my English....

• 1. Re: Asus P8Z68-V Pro VS P8P67 Pro B3...stability and performance
          RjL190365 Level 4

Pedro,

The integrated graphics can still degrade performance and stability, judging by the H67 chipset. Even with the integrated Intel graphics disabled the H67 boards apparently run their PCIe-x16 slots in x1 mode by default. That severely degrades MPE GPU performance. There is no published PPBM5 result yet from a Z68-based system.

For the hard drives, I'd recommend the 1TB F3's over its 500GB sibling: At current street prices, the 500GB drive is now almost the same price as the 1TB drive. That makes the 1TB version the better value in terms of capacity per dollar.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Asus P8Z68-V Pro VS P8P67 Pro B3...stability and performance
            Harm Millaard Level 7

Pedro,

IMO Gary is spot on. And he also mentions that if you need a dedicated raid controller and/or a dedicated I/O card, you will find a crippled motherboard to start with because of the shared and limited PCIe lanes. Nevertheless, the 2600K is a formidable CPU and a good budget solution for many that have no intention to expand their system beyond the basics.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Asus P8Z68-V Pro VS P8P67 Pro B3...stability and performance
              Pedro_es Level 1

Thanks for the answers. I think I'll wait a bit to see if somebody test this motherboard with Premiere. However in gaming benchmarks it seems that the discrete graphic is performing well with the z68 and h67 (http://www.anandtech.com/show/4330/asus-p8z68v-review/7), so what do you think that the problem is? (i have seen the h67 bad results in ppbm5).... PCIe-x16 slots in x1 mode by default means that you can change it?

Although €/GB ratio is better with samsung F3 1TB do you think that the performance will lower because of the 16MB cache of the 500GB model or it will be similar?

Harm, thanks for the info but as I don't expect to upgrade this computer it wont be a problem... I hope :-) however I want great stability.

• 4. Re: Asus P8Z68-V Pro VS P8P67 Pro B3...stability and performance
                alexdejesus Level 1

While I'm waiting to hear results of Eric testing the Z68-V Pro, I am curious to know what the Z68 offers over the P67. After reading the review descriptions, the main difference I see is the onboard graphics (DVI/VGA and HDMI ports) on the back. WHat is their purpose if using a separate graphics card? Am I missing something?

I have the P8P67 Pro in my hands now, and going to pick up the i7 2600k processor. I would rather have this thing put together today, but waiting on those results.

Please don't take this as rushing your testing - just wondering what is worth the mere $30 difference in price

• 5. Re: Asus P8Z68-V Pro VS P8P67 Pro B3...stability and performance
                  Pedro_es Level 1

Main advantages of the Z68:

- QuickSync: for fast transcoding (with supported apps while using the integrated GPU)

- Smart Response Technology: SSD caching

For more information:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4329/intel-z68-chipset-smart-response-technology-ssd-caching -review

• 6. Re: Asus P8Z68-V Pro VS P8P67 Pro B3...stability and performance
                    RjL190365 Level 4

Pedro,

The reason for the bad MPE results in H67 motherboard-based systems is due to their being left at default video settings in the BIOS. In the default Auto mode, the IGP is enabled if made primary, which means that it has to switch back and forth between the IGP and the discrete GPU. Unfortunately, it takes too long for the chipset to perform such back-and-forth switching. The best setting to use with these H67 boards is "Always disable integrated graphics" when you put in a discrete graphics card on such a motherboard. Too bad most of those uses simply left it on the default "Auto".

• 7. Re: Asus P8Z68-V Pro VS P8P67 Pro B3...stability and performance
                      Pedro_es Level 1

Thanks for the answers. I bought my P8Z68 system 3 weeks ago. I have been busy therefore i haven't tested the integrated GPU and i haven't run the PPMB5 bech neither. At this moment (and not using the integrated graphics) the stability is perfect. The performance is very nice too, but I still need to run more benchmarks. If i do more testing i'll post the results here.