4 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2011 7:59 AM by Dave LaRonde

Converting Video to run in IPAD2 completely Loseless

BBleiman

Hello Everyone,

I am attemping to make a video to be played on the IPad 2.  The video is the EXACT screen resolution of the IPad 2, and my problems is finding a format that will loselessly encode my video.  To check this I am using a test pattern video that is one image repeated over and over. the pattern is a repeat of these pixels:

w=white

b=blue

r=red

w w w w w w

w b b b b w

w b r  r b w

w b r r  b w

w b b b b w

w w w w w w

this 6x6 grid ia repeated out to the edge of the Ipad's screen.  After much testing I cannot find ANY codec in Adobe After Effects CS5 that will give me lossless playback on the IPad.  usually the red center gets averaged out to a purple color (and those are the best results I have achieved).  I have found numerous encodings that will play back flawlessly on my computer, but those will not play back on the Ipad (of course).   I have installed quicktime for windows and therefore got all the quicktime codecs (or at least the ones that come with quicktime), but none of them have been able to do it. 

Does anyone have any thoughts on a way to get lossless video playback on an Ipad?  Is there a different program I should use?

As an aside I am using a compiled RAW AVI file of that same frame repeated as my basis.  If you think this could be part of the problem I do have the original image to use as well if you think that will work better.

Thanks for your help

Ben

• 1. Re: Converting Video to run in IPAD2 completely Loseless
          Bob Currier Level 3

There's no such thing as lossless playback on the iPad. The specs for iPad video playback (according to the Apple iPad web page) are:

Video formats supported: H.264 video up to 720p, 30 frames per second, Main Profile level 3.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format.

All of those formats are lossy; some more lossy than others. Your best looking video will probably be H.264 format, but it will definitely compress each frame and average pixels together.

You can write custom code to playback uncompressed video in some limited forms on the iPad, but in my experience it really kills battery life. And it's limited to your custom app, not something that a random iPad owner can play.

And all that said, AE isn't the best tool for doing final compression to H.264/MPEG4 or MJPEG. You'll be better off using AME or one of the dedicated (non-Adobe) compression apps.

Bob Currier

Synthetic Aperture

• 2. Re: Converting Video to run in IPAD2 completely Loseless
            BBleiman Level 1

Hello Bob,

Thanks for the prompt reply.  And thank you for the information.  I am

unfamiliar with what AME is... would quicktime Pro do a good job if I wanted

lossless  720P encoding?  Any reccomendation would be helpful.

Thanks

Ben

• 3. Re: Converting Video to run in IPAD2 completely Loseless
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8
              > I amunfamiliar with what AME is

Adobe Media Encoder

AME includes iPad encoding presets. As Bob says, just use those.

• 4. Re: Converting Video to run in IPAD2 completely Loseless
                Dave LaRonde Level 6

BBleiman wrote:

would quicktime Pro do a good job if I wanted

lossless  720P encoding?  Any reccomendation would be helpful.

Yes, you could use QT Pro, but that's not the point: there is no such thing as a LOSSLESS file that can be played back on an iPad 2.  You can have good-looking files, but not lossless files.

I recommend re-reading Bob Currier's response very carefully: he gave you all the information necessary.