5 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2011 10:16 PM by atar11

Union vs. Group command.

atar11

Hello!

Is there anyone who know what is the difference between the modify > group command to the modify > combine objects > union command?

• 1. Re: Union vs. Group command.
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Here's what the help documentation states...

Union
          Joins two or more shapes into a single shape. The result is a single Object Drawing model shape consisting of all the portions visible on the shapes before they were unified. The unseen, overlapping portions of the shapes are deleted.
          Note: Unlike when you use the Group command (Modify > Group), you cannot break apart shapes joined by using the Union command.

And I believe one key operating word is "shape"... you cannot use the union command on anything but raw drawn objects/shapes.  Whereas the group command can group anything that is present in the same frame, raw shapes, symbols, etc.

One other thing, I believe the Union can combine shapes from different layers into one layer. While the Group command will only group things in the same layer... you can have it group several layers, but there will be as many groups as there are layers.

• 3. Re: Union vs. Group command.
            atar11 Level 1

Firstly, thanks you about your wish to help. I very appreciated this!!

Secondly, according to your quote from the help documentation, I understand that the only single difference between the union and the group commands, is simply the ability to break apart the shape back into merge-able shape or not.

If there are any additional differences between these two commands, please let me know it.

Best regards!!

Atar.

ב-12 במאי 2011, בשעה 22:23, Ned Murphy <forums@adobe.com> כתב/ה:

Here's what the help documentation states...

Union Joins two or more shapes into a single shape. The result is a single Object Drawing model shape consisting of all the portions visible on the shapes before they were unified. The unseen, overlapping portions of the shapes are deleted.Note: Unlike when you use the Group command (Modify > Group), you cannot break apart shapes joined by using the Union command.

>

• 4. Re: Union vs. Group command.
              Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That was what the quote provided as the difference, but the rest of what I offered also indicates differences between them.  If you are interested in knowing the differences you should explore them by using the the two and seeing for yourself how they differ from each other.

• 5. Re: Union vs. Group command.
                atar11 Level 1

Thank you very much about your kind support!!!

ב-15 במאי 2011, בשעה 23:28, Ned Murphy <forums@adobe.com> כתב/ה:

That was what the quote provided as the difference, but the rest of what I offered also indicates differences between them.

>