9 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2011 11:51 AM by Dynatnt1

Upgrade Video Card?

Dynatnt1 Level 1

I recently upgraded to 5.5 and have been trying my hand at some DSLR editing and effects. I was really excited to try the new warp stabilizer tool/effect.

When I imported an 11 second HD clip, it took about 3 minutes to analyze and stabilize. That wasn't too bad, what really bothered me was the trouble it had with the RAM preview. When I hit 0 to run the RAM preview, the system really bogged down. The preview was very stuttery and slow to get through all 305 frames. My system is a Mac Pro running Windows 7 64 bit with a Quad Core Xeon 2.93 GHz processor with 12 GB of RAM. My video card is the Nvidia GeForce 285. My question is will upgrading to a Quadro 4000 for Mac video card make any difference with After Effects or Premiere Pro?

I have seen some test results and the 285 held it own but not sure if the new 4000 card would show me any performance increases with 5.5.

I know the 285 has CUDA cores, but not sure the 4000 is a worthy $800 upgrade.

Any suggestions or thoughts?

Thanks,

Toby

• 1. Re: Upgrade Video Card?
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

The Warp Stabilizer effect is very demanding of processor and RAM  resources. It is expected that it will take a while to render the frames  for a RAM preview.

> My question is will upgrading to a Quadro 4000 for Mac video card make any difference with After Effects or Premiere Pro?

The graphics card is nearly irrelevant to After Effects. Do not count on a better graphics card helping with any of the things that you mentioned in your post for After Effects.

The graphics card makes a big difference to Premiere Pro. See this page for details.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Upgrade Video Card?
            Dynatnt1 Level 1

Todd,

Thank you so much for the response. So would you say adding more RAM would be a wise decision. I was watching some of Carl's videos over on Adobe TV and he was saying the sweet spot for RAM was 2GB per Processor. I currently have 12GB so would doubling to 24GB make a big difference or shoudl I go more?

I assume this would also help me with all of my other CS programs as well.

I also noticed that my video card, the GeForce 285 is supported under CUDA and Premiere Pro. Is this an adequate card for Premiere or will the 4000 make a difference in Premiere?

Thanks,

Toby

• 3. Re: Upgrade Video Card?
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> So would you say adding more RAM would be a wise decision?

Yes.

> I was watching some of Carl's videos over on Adobe TV and he was saying the sweet spot for RAM was 2GB per Processor.

2GB isn't the "sweet spot". It's the practical minimum for taking advantage of all processors. 4GB is closer to what I would call a "sweet spot".

See this:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/543440

> I also noticed that my video card, the GeForce 285 is supported under CUDA and Premiere Pro. Is this an adequate card for Premiere or will the 4000 make a difference in Premiere?

You should ask questions about hardware for Premiere Pro on the Premire Pro Hardware forum:

http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere/hardware_forum

• 4. Re: Upgrade Video Card?
                Dynatnt1 Level 1

Todd,

Great then I will add more RAM. Now when you say 4GB per processor, I have a quad core so would that be 16GB (4 processors x 4GB) or 32GB since there is hyperthreading and my system shows 8 processors? Sounds like a dumb question but if I am upgrading I want to add the correct amout per processor.

Sorry about the Premiere question, I figured since we were on the creative suite topic it made sense.

Thanks,

Toby

• 5. Re: Upgrade Video Card?
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> Great then I will add more RAM. Now when you say 4GB per processor, I have a quad core so would that be 16GB (4 processors x 4GB) or 32GB since there is hyperthreading and my system shows 8 processors?

32GB

>

Sorry about the Premiere question, I figured since we were on the creative suite topic it made sense.

It's not that you did anything wrong; it's just that the expertise for that answer is on the Premiere Pro Hardware forum.

• 6. Re: Upgrade Video Card?
                    AtonMusic Level 2

I have 32 GB RAM in mine.

Warp Stabilizer on 1080p is the slowest process of all stabilizers.

I dont just mean the analyzation process but rendering out the results is also extremely time consuming.

I have done tests with Mercalli vs. Warp Stabilizer. Mercalli does the job (just as good on 99% of all material) only about 20 times faster.

To OP:

If you want the fastest analyzation:rendering option you can get there is one thing just as important as RAM>>>

Convert that H264 footage into a TIFF sequence. Then drag that Sequence into AE and apply warpy.

That speeds things up by more than 6 times. WOrking with TIFF or other Sequences in AE is the fastest I have experienced.

However, going that route - make sure you have a RAID 0 to compensate for the extra file size !

• 7. Re: Upgrade Video Card?
                      Dynatnt1 Level 1

AtonMusic,

Thanks for the suggestion. I also just ordered 24GB of RAM. I am sure that will help as well.

Thanks,

Toby

• 8. Re: Upgrade Video Card?
                        AtonMusic Level 2

You welcome,

once you've got all that RAM installed, make sure you take a look at this post, linked below.

Because if you dont follow that method, after a little while you will only have access to HALF your actual RAM

as OS X (If you are on OS X) deems the other half of RAM inactive and thus NOT accessible to AE...

You can feel this phenomenon once your RAM Preview and Render starts to seem REAL slow

Making Inactive RAM ACTIVE Thread !!!

• 9. Re: Upgrade Video Card?
                          Dynatnt1 Level 1

Atonmusic,

Thanks for the heads up but I am on a PC running Windows 7 64 bit so hopefully I won't run into this problem.

Excited to see what extra RAM will do to my system.

Thanks,

Toby