15 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2012 11:21 AM by hthoele

CS 5.5 and .mts files

vfrythiel

I've got two identical pc's. One pc image was ghosted from the other.

When I try to import some AVCHD .mts file from the ghosted machine, I get the error message. "The File has an unsupported compression type". The original machine imports them ok. Some import fine while others do not, and the files that fails opens fine in other programs such as after effects.

Ive deactivated, uninstalled, cleaned and reinstalled Production premium and get the same results. Adobe says it's activated.

Any ideas whats causing this?

• 1. Re: CS 5.5 and .mts files
          the_wine_snob Level 9

I'd say that something in the imaging of the two machines went slight awry, but that is just a guess.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - do the problem files perhaps have DD 5.1 SS Audio streams, while the good ones do not?

• 2. Re: CS 5.5 and .mts files
            la.it

Hiya, I'm having the exact same issues as the OP except i'm the Master Collection.

Screen shot 2011-05-29 at 02.30.22.png

Does anyone know where does Premiere Pro keeps it's file importer plug-ins? I'm thinking could there be a temporary quick fix, maybe there's something missing?? (guessing) I've right clicked on the application and gone to "open package contents" and now is wondering is it possible to transplant via copy'n'paste the missing plug-in(s) into the revised version without too much hassle? or would doing so break the application?

(running on MacOS btw)

• 3. Re: CS 5.5 and .mts files
              the_wine_snob Level 9

One possible option might be to do a Repair Install. In general terms, a Repair Install will survey one's system and the program's installation, and will replace any corrupt program files, or add any missing program files. On the PC, this is done from the installation media, and for suites, the installer will ask which program one wishes to install. When PrPro would be chosen, the installer will survey the system, and see that PrPro is already installed, then ask if the user wishes to Uninstall, or Repair Install. With the latter choice selected, the installer will survey the installation of PrPro, and then repair, replace or add any file at issue. As I am a PC-only person, I cannot tell you if there are differences between platforms.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: CS 5.5 and .mts files
                shooternz Level 6

That path looks like  strange syntax to me

eg  xxxxx    STREAM 004 (2010.05)/ xxxxxx

Did you change it

• 5. Re: CS 5.5 and .mts files
                  TradeWind Level 3

Yeah, you can't change the name of the folders in the AVCHD directory (anything underneath the "PRIVATE" folder)

AVCHD footage uses the ENTIRE folder structure to reconstruct the videos. Don't think of AVCHD as "video files" since it's more than just a single file that makes up the footage. When you change the folder structure, or you rename anything, it's like you have changed the map that is used to reconstruct the video file.

Change everything back to the original structure, and then use the Media Browser (not File > Import) to bring the footage into PPro.

• 6. Re: CS 5.5 and .mts files
                    vfrythiel Level 1

Try moving the MTS file to another drive and see what happens.

For the heck of it, I moved the MTS problem files I had from the Windows Desktop to an external flash drive and then tried to import them. For some reason those copied files worked while the desktop loaded files still did not. I have no idea why that would matter other then maybe it has a problem handling long path names, but since many of the other working files had identical names I can't see why that would matter.

• 7. Re: CS 5.5 and .mts files
                      la.it Level 1

Repairing the default install from 5.5 still doesn't work.. .mts files still don't open.

Any other suggestions?

• 8. Re: CS 5.5 and .mts files
                        la.it Level 1

shooternz thanks for the reply..

From previous experience, media files contained in directories or folders with "strange syntax" never affected us Mac users. Adobe applications had always been able to opening them regardless. For argument sakes and to prove a point, I'll move some smaller files to the desktop and try re-opening them and enclose a screen grab of the errors encounteres.

Files stored on RAID Volume:

Screen shot 2011-06-21 at 05.19.30.png

Same files copied to the desktop:

Screen shot 2011-06-21 at 05.20.08.png

Just to prove this ain't something thats exclusive to my workstation, I've installed CS5.5 MC on my MacBook Pro.

Opening .mts file on the MacBook Pro with CS 5.5 installed:

Screen shot 2011-06-21 at 05.25.32.png

Guess what? I still get the same annoying error. Do you folks still think it's a syntax issue??

I believe CS 5.5 doesn't support the compression type for one reason or another and that's soo annoying!!

Seems the only way I'm able to edit these files for the time being is to downgrade to CS5

FYI:

Those files were shot on a Canon ivis HF11 and PPro CS5 had no troubles opening them, no mater what the syntax.

• 9. Re: CS 5.5 and .mts files
                          shooternz Level 6
                          I believe CS 5.5 doesn't support the compression type for one reason or another and that's soo annoying!!

FWIW: I have no issues in CS5 or 5.5 opening and editing mts files. ( Win 7)

• 10. Re: CS 5.5 and .mts files
                            la.it Level 1

Weird....

Everything working fine here,  except I can't seem to import or edit .mts files
                            Gonna ask someone at work maybe they can shed some light on the matter.

• 11. Re: CS 5.5 and .mts files
                              sergey-v

I've got same problem when trying both 5.0 and 5.5 on the same computer. The most probable reason - conflicts in the cached media files between different versions of Premiere. Problem disappeared after confiuring 5.5 to another location - before creating new project in Premiere 5.5 reconfigure paths to another location: Edit -> Preferences -> Media -> Cache Files and Cache Database.

• 12. Re: CS 5.5 and .mts files
                                blakeandcat

Sergey!  You are incredible!  Your solution to change the location of the media cache files (i don't know if it matters, but I moved the media cache database as well) WORKED!  I have 5 and 5.5 and I couldn't get mts files to load anymore until I moved the media cache files and then it worked perfectly.  Hours of time on this problem and your simple solution solved it!  Thanks a million!

• 13. Re: CS 5.5 and .mts files
                                  AlfonsMallgan Level 1

"I've got same problem when trying both 5.0 and 5.5 on the same computer. The most probable reason - conflicts in the cached media files between different versions of Premiere. Problem disappeared after confiuring 5.5 to another location - before creating new project in Premiere 5.5 reconfigure paths to another location: Edit -> Preferences -> Media -> Cache Files and Cache Database."

I would appreciate if you could describe in detalj how to do this: "Edit -> Preferences -> Media -> Cache Files and Cache Database"

• 14. Re: CS 5.5 and .mts files
                                    CyJackX

I have only one version of Premiere, 5.5 on my system.  I doubt that it's a conflict between media cache locations for me! 

• 15. Re: CS 5.5 and .mts files
                                      hthoele

Some problem for me. Worked fine until 2 month, then no MTS import possible also some other import disappeared.

Is it an update which causes that???

I tried the cache solution