6 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2011 6:54 AM by Steve Grisetti

Making good stills from movie

Tom Berquist

Dear experts:

What is the best way to capture a certain frame then move to photoshop and make a still from there. Please help.

Thanks in advance,

Tom

• 1. Re: Making good stills from movie
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Remember that you're working in video resolution (640x480 pixels) so you're not going to get a real high resolution picture.

But, for the best quality:

1) Set the CTI playhead so that the frame you want to grab from the movie is displayed in the Monitor.

2) Use Share/Computer/Still Image to save a still image as a JPG or TIF.

3) Open the photo in Photoshop Elements and, from the Filter menu, select Video/Deinterlace.

• 2. Re: Making good stills from movie
            the_wine_snob Level 9

I completely agree with Steve on this. I do want to add a little sidebar to his comment:

1) Set the CTI playhead so that the frame you want to grab from the movie is displayed in the Monitor.

For the Frame selection, I would set the Program Monitor to 100%, and expanding it up a bit. Now, jog the CTI (Current Time Indicator/Play Head w/ the red Edit Line), Frame by Frame. Look closely at each nearby Frame, as, due to effective shutter angle, one might be sharper, than the one preceding it, or following it. Choose the best one, even if the exact moment of capture is not 100% perfect, i.e. body positions, etc. Go from the sharpest nearby Frame.

Good luck, and also, I'd to the Frame Capture to BMP or TIFF, and then if you do any image editing on it in PS/PSE, Save_As a PSD, and NOT as a JPEG, which will introduce compression.

Hunt

• 3. Re: Making good stills from movie
              Tom Berquist Level 1

Bill and Steve:

Sorry, but still hung up at the very start of this. I am on Pre elements and

maybe that makes a difference to your reply as once I find my frame I do not

have (that I know of) the option of share/computer/still image??? When I

click on the share tab, I get quick share and the list of share to disc

computer etc and dont seem to be able to get to save anywhere. Can eith of

you take this non-tech guy through this step by step??

Thanks so much.

Tom

• 4. Re: Making good stills from movie

What version of Premiere Elements are you using, Tom. That will determine the options that are available to you.

• 5. Re: Making good stills from movie
                  Tom Berquist Level 1

PRE 7

Thanks, Steve

• 6. Re: Making good stills from movie

In version 7, you click on the little camera icon in the lower right of the Monitor panel to grab a frame of your video.

Once you've clicked on this button, you'll see the option to save your picture.Select this option.

On the Save screen, you'll see a Settings button. Click on it and set your video up at 640x480 square pixels and, for best results, go to the Video Deinterlacing screen and select the option to deinterlace.