2 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2011 9:32 AM by 5Systems

drop down List dataProvider and a Value Object

5Systems Level 1

I am trying to populate a drop down list with values that are held within a value object.   I am pulling table values from an SQLite database vai the SQLResult object and they are comming in as an array of Value Objects. this is exaclty What I want so I reference those within a property of my Model Object and dispatch and event carrying that array.   I place the array of Value objects into an array collection like so:

var dropDownListValues:ArrayCollection = new ArrayCollection(event.foodCategoryList);

Then try to access them via a dropdown lists dataProvider property like so:

foodCategory.FoodCategory_DropDown.dataProvider = dropDownListValues;

My dropdown then displays

[object Object]
      [object Object]
      [object Object]
      [object Object]
      [object Object]
      [object Object]

My dropDownListValues object carries the following array:

[0]
           Foodcatagory = "Grains"
           FoodCatagory_ID = 1

[1]
           Foodcatagory = "Vegetables"
           FoodCatagory_ID = 2

etc. all the way up to index 5

How do I get the Dropdown list to display just  Grains, Vegetables ..... etc. ?

Thanks,

• 1. Re: drop down List dataProvider and a Value Object
          da-juice

I had to search around for a couple of hours today on the same issue.

Basically just set the labelField of the dropdown to be the name of the field for its values

foodCategory.FoodCategory_DropDown.labelField = "Foodcatagory";

• 2. Re: drop down List dataProvider and a Value Object
            5Systems Level 1

Da-juice,

Thanks, you answer was quite helpful, I appreciate it very much.  I had used a loop to temporarily solve the problem, but I knew there had to be a more elegant solution.

just for clarification for those who may find this post in the future, here is the final code snippet that got it to work based on Da-juice replay.

var dropDownListValues:ArrayCollection = new ArrayCollection(event.foodCategoryList); //Pull from event payload
            foodCategory.FoodCategory_DropDown.dataProvider = dropDownListValues; // Place event payload data into the dropdowns dataProvider
            foodCategory.FoodCategory_DropDown.labelField = "Foodcatagory"; //Set label Property to match that of the Value objects poperty.