2 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2011 5:57 AM by Bill Gehrke

How to set up new SSD drives

JumpCat4

I just ordered an SSD drive that looks to be very fast.  It is called Revodrive X2.  I also just got an SSD drive a month ago.  It is a Crucial C300.

I have read the article on how to set up drives, but my setup is a bit different and I would like to know where to put things based on two of the drives being very fast drives.  I have (or will have shortly) the Revodrive (160GB) as my boot drive.  The C300 (256GB) drive will be for programs and a few frequently used storage-type files.

I also have 2 WD black 1TB drives.  This gives me a total of 4 drives (2 SSD drives and 2HD's).  What would be the best setup for my drives?

Asus P6T M/B

12 GB of memory

GTX 470

4 Drives all attached to ICH10 motherboard connections

• 1. Re: How to set up new SSD drives
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Depends on the trim function. If trim is not supported, best use the SSD for reading static content, like media or programs. If trim is supported and the write speed does not degrade significantly over time and is indeed faster than writes on the WD's, you can use the fastest SSD for pagefile, media cache and previews, leaving media on a WD.

• 2. Re: How to set up new SSD drives
            Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

JumpCat4 wrote:

I just ordered an SSD drive that looks to be very fast.  It is called Revodrive X2.

I also have 2 WD black 1TB drives.  This gives me a total of 4 drives (2 SSD drives and 2HD's).  What would be the best setup for my drives?

Asus P6T M/B

12 GB of memory

GTX 470

4 Drives all attached to ICH10 motherboard connections

I guess you do not know that your Revodrive does not connect to a SATA port. It simply plugs into the PCIe bus.  Many times trying to put applications on a different drive than the boot drive can be complicated.