37 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2011 1:08 PM by the_wine_snob

ken burns effect?

liquidmonkey1 Level 1

is there a preset that can be added to PP5.0 for the ken burns effect or various other photo effects?

i know how to create my own but a preset would save some time

thanks!

• 1. Re: ken burns effect?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Not really a Preset, but you can adjust the fixed Effects>Motion>Scale and Motion>Position with Keyframes to do exactly what you want.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: ken burns effect?
            liquidmonkey1 Level 1

thanks mr. hunt.

i was able to do all that but it took some time for 20 photos.

lets say i have 100 photos mixed in with video, is there an easier way to do the photos?

ie, i make 4 different 'ken burns' effects and then somehow copy over those to the other photos in a random order?

or do i really have to do each a n d  e  v  e   r   y    photo on its own?

• 3. Re: ken burns effect?
              Colin Brougham Level 6

You can copy the Motion effect and paste it to other clips. You can also copy a clip (from the sequence) and then use Paste Attributes on other selected clips. You can create an effect preset from the Effects Control Panel that you can apply to any clips you like.

• 4. Re: ken burns effect?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Using the Copy/Paste Attributes method, you can then go into each Clip and tweak the Effect, as the real subject of each Clip/Still will likely be different, and require slightly different settings.

That is why PrPro does not offer a "Random Pan & Zoom." The chances of those actually hitting the subject is almost zero.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: ken burns effect?
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

do i really have to do each a n d  e  v  e   r   y    photo on its own?

You may not have to, but you should.  Each image is likely to have a different composition, with different areas of focus.  Stock effects don't take that into account.

That's why I charge $10/image for something like this.  It's a balls out lot of work.

• 7. Re: ken burns effect?
                    liquidmonkey1 Level 1

thanks everyone for your tips and insights.

makes sense that you have to do each one BUT i really like the save presets and will use that from now on.

THANKS!

• 8. Re: ken burns effect?
                      Jordan2903 Level 1

I don't agree that random pan and zoom are not likely to hit the subject. I just upgraded from Adobe Premiere Elements 9. It comes bundled with a program called Organizer and it creates slide shows with random pan and zoom (Ken Burns effect). I made a slide show containing about 250 slides and it would have taken days to keyframe each one. Contrary to what was said here, there were no zooms and pans which did not "hit the subject" reasonably well and this saved me a tremendous amount of time. If I wanted to tweak it, I could do so after exporting to Premiere Elements, but actually it required very few changes. I know there are some people more particular about hitting the subject than I am, but there is also the issue of getting a lot of work done quickly in order to make money and meet deadlines.

Now I've upgraded to the pro version and find I can't do what the cheaper program does. Time is money and many people want the ken burns effect for their slides. So I also wonder why there is no "Random Pan and Zoom" for PrPro. I have decided that in order to save time I will have to backtrack to Premiere Elements to make large still slide shows. I'm a newbie with PrPro, but so far it does not appear that PrPro will read Premiere Elements files, so it looks like I will have to complete my editing of the slide show in Premiere Elements and then export a movie file to PrPro (which I won't be able to edit further in PrPro). Have I really upgraded?

• 9. Re: ken burns effect?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

It all depends on how one composes their images.Random Pan & Zoom might hit the subject, but it might not. Some versions have algorithms to help it identify the subject, but mainly works best with faces, centered subjects, or subjects placed by the Rule of Thirds. Get outside of those attributes, and the chances are slim.

Let's take an example. You have an image of 5 individual in a line facing the camera. You want to Pan and Zoom to the person's face, the second from the left, as they are the main character in your video. How will Random Pan & Zoom know who is the main character?

Being first a still photographer, I view each image as being unique. Because of that, I want total control over all animation in my video. If one has just random images, and there are no real subjects in the images, then Random Pan & Zoom will add some "motion" to the static images. For that purpose, it is probably good enough, and will save time. Random Pan & Zoom is like telling the program "give me something, and I do not care what it is."

As for PrPro not having this function, I would guess that Adobe assumed that the vast majority of users would not be using Random Pan & Zoom, as they would also want that same control, as I do. If you use that function often, then doing the SlideShow in another program, is likely to be the best workflow. This could be using PrE, or perhaps ProShow's Gold, or Producer.

PrE offers Instant Movie/Themes, that PrPro does not. Again, few users of PrPro want the program to do the creative editing - that is what the user does.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: ken burns effect?
                          Jim Curtis Level 3

I'm coming late to this thread, and I want to make a request: 

Please stop calling moves on stills "The Ken Burns Effect."  Moves on stills were done on "rostrum cameras" and Oxberrys and hand operated cameras on a tripod LONNNNGGG before Ken Burns was a glimmer in his father's eye.

Message was edited by: Jeff Bellune. Inflammatory comments removed.

• 11. Re: ken burns effect?
                            Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Everyone from the most experienced pro to the most novice amateur knows what the so-called Ken Burns Effect is.  Burns may not have been the first, but he is the most well-known.

Since this forum needs efficient transfer of information to get help as quickly as possible, there's a distinct advantage to using the term "Ken Burns Effect" to describe camera moves on stills.

If it's any consolation, I'm sure the folks at Pepsi and Royal Crown feel as much (or more) frustration that every cola-flavored soft drink is casually referred to as "Coke".

-Jeff

• 12. Re: ken burns effect?
                              Jim_Simon Level 8

Please stop calling moves on stills "The Ken Burns Effect."

Here, here!

• 13. Re: ken burns effect?
                                Jim_Simon Level 8

the folks at Pepsi and Royal Crown feel as much (or more) frustration that every cola-flavored soft drink is casually referred to as "Coke".

That's not the same.  Coke defines what a cola should taste like.  It actually was the first, and is still the best.

• 14. Re: ken burns effect?
                                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

I'm oddly with the both Jeff and the Jims on this one:

On one hand, I hate it when someone uses this terminology... but I also understand that it's entrenched, and there's nothing that can be done about it. You'll notice that whenever I refer to this technique, I use phrasing like "...sometimes referred to a the 'Ken Burns effect' because of the documenatry film-maker who popularized the technique".

• 15. Re: ken burns effect?

It's an analogy, Jim.  It was meant to represent a phrase or moniker that popularly describes a whole bunch of similar things.  Whether that popular term is accurate to the nth degree is irrelevant to its popularity.

Kind of like 60i vs. 30i.  We both know that 30i is the technically accurate description, but popular use (driven by the camera makers) refers to it as 60i.

-Jeff

• 16. Re: ken burns effect?
                                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Do you mean the 30's versus the 60's, the bootleg era versus the 'hippy' or 'Woodstock' era or was it more down-to-earth about video formats?

• 17. Re: ken burns effect?
                                        Jim Curtis Level 3

Jeff Bellune wrote:

Everyone from the most experienced pro to the most novice amateur knows what the so-called Ken Burns Effect is.  Burns may not have been the first, but he is the most well-known.

Since this forum needs efficient transfer of information to get help as quickly as possible, there's a distinct advantage to using the term "Ken Burns Effect" to describe camera moves on stills.

If it's any consolation, I'm sure the folks at Pepsi and Royal Crown feel as much (or more) frustration that every cola-flavored soft drink is casually referred to as "Coke".

-Jeff

Gee, Jeff.  If you think the remark I made that you excised was "inflammatory," you don't want to be anywhere near me when I get those meaningless error messages when exporting from Pr. 

It's not a crime or even necessarily embarrassing to be "ignorant."  We're all ignorant of something.  With all due respect, to call a move on a still "The Ken Burns Effect" is an excellent example of it.   Knowingly perpetuating a falsehood or improper attribution is much worse than ignorance, IMO. 

Popularity shouldn't drive public education.  The truth should.  Of course, that's just my opinion, too.

And yes, it's a term that communicates the intended message to many people (likely mostly under 30, or those without an extensive film history education - again, not a crime), but giving the term credence would be like calling an eight-second dissolve "The Francis Coppola Effect."

• 18. Re: ken burns effect?
                                          Jim_Simon Level 8

but popular use (driven by the camera makers) refers to it as 60i.

Yes, but like the "Ken Burns Effect", both are terms we should stamp out of existence. http://www.getsmileyface.com/new/angry/32.gif

And we do that through correction.

• 19. Re: ken burns effect?
                                            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> And we do that through correction.

I have the same urge, but...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sisyphus

I tend to reserve such corrections for the terms that cause confusion and misunderstanding.

• 20. Re: ken burns effect?

@Jim Curtis,

In the context of this forum, your post was inflammatory, and your comments continue to be unnecessarily condescending and provocative.  In a different setting, they might be completely appropriate, but not here.  You can express your opinion *without* commenting on the abilities, status or sensibilities of others. 

-Jeff

• 21. Re: ken burns effect?
                                                Jordan2903 Level 1

Well, Jeff, my feelings aren't hurt by an unknown grouch on a forum, so don't worry about it. I wrote "Ken Burns Effect" in brackets and don't regret it since he popularized the technique and everyone knows what the term means. There is at least one competing program which makes quick slide shows out of stills and actually has a preset called "Ken Burns Effect".

What does bother me is that so much time was spent discussing the terminology that I never really got any useful suggestions for achieving this effect in PrPro as an automated process. I understand that I can rise to higher artistic levels by using keyframes for each slide, but, you know, some clients don't care about high art and are trying to get the most bang for the buck. I was hoping to hear from others who are trying to make a living at this like I am. I do not intend to be the starving artist who always does perfect work and always loses money on it.

I already know I could use some other program to create the slideshow I want, but I wanted to know if this program could do it or has an add-on that would work. The workflow is much simpler if you can do everything in one program.

• 22. Re: ken burns effect?
                                                  Colin Brougham Level 6

To answer your question: no, there is no way to do this automatically. It's a fair amount of tedious work. Premiere Pro is, plain and simple, not the right application for this task if you want a Big Button approach to photo animations. I'm not saying that to be condescending, but just pointing out that it will not do what you want it to do.

• 23. Re: ken burns effect?
                                                    Jim Curtis Level 3

Jordan2903 wrote:

Well, Jeff, my feelings aren't hurt by an unknown grouch on a forum, so don't worry about it. I wrote "Ken Burns Effect" in brackets and don't regret it since he popularized the technique and everyone knows what the term means. There is at least one competing program which makes quick slide shows out of stills and actually has a preset called "Ken Burns Effect".

What does bother me is that so much time was spent discussing the terminology that I never really got any useful suggestions for achieving this effect in PrPro as an automated process. I understand that I can rise to higher artistic levels by using keyframes for each slide, but, you know, some clients don't care about high art and are trying to get the most bang for the buck. I was hoping to hear from others who are trying to make a living at this like I am. I do not intend to be the starving artist who always does perfect work and always loses money on it.

I already know I could use some other program to create the slideshow I want, but I wanted to know if this program could do it or has an add-on that would work. The workflow is much simpler if you can do everything in one program.

Maybe this will help:  If you have Pr, you probably also have Encore, right?  You can make a slide show there with random zooms.  It's pretty easy and described in the Help file.

Elwood: What kind of music do you usually have here?

Claire: Oh, we got both kinds. We got Country and Western.

• 24. Re: ken burns effect?
                                                      Islanders66 Level 1

Jordan2903 wrote:

Colin and Bill aswered your question a while back. Paste Attributes or creating an effects preset. That's about as close as you will get with PrPro. Good luck! Interesting read.

• 25. Re: ken burns effect?
                                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

As Colin states, PrPro is not the right program for a Random Pan & Zoom Motion animation - it is all manual.

Now, PrElements does have Random Pan & Zoom, when the SlideShow is created in the Organizer (sort of like Bridge, but with differences).

ProShow's Gold and Producer have similar features.

For DVD/BD SlideShows, even Encore can do that, but the SlideShow function in Encore is rather limited. I always just do it manually in PrPro, but that is just me. It is tedious, but the control can be intoxicating.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 26. Re: ken burns effect?
                                                          Jordan2903 Level 1

Hi Bill,

Yeah, I'm an upgrader from PrElements and have been using the Organizer to make the slide shows. Most of the random pan and zooms look pretty cool and I can always modify the keyframes of the ones where I don't like the effect. Think about it: If you have 250 or so slides like I did, even if you can manage to keyframe each of them in 1 minute, you still are going to take over 4 hours to do what Organizer/PrElements did in a few minutes.

But the really good news is that I ran across a help file which told me how to convert a PREL file to a PRPRO file. I had been trying to import the Elements files and that just doesn't work. For those who might want to know, I'll tell you that you have to click Open Project and it will then open PREL files. Once it has loaded all the assets, you still won't see a Timeline, but I found that if I double clicked the Sequence 0 asset it opened up the timeline. Works great! I now have 250 slides with random pan and zoom in Premiere Pro and I can tweak it all I want with the keyframes.

This problem is solved if you're willing to buy PrElements. (Usually can be found for less than $100)

• 27. Re: ken burns effect?
                                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Great, and so glad that it worked.

With some constraints, PREL's (PrE's Project files) will Open in PrPro. The constraints that I have found are:

• The versions of each Adobe program needs to be close, i.e. PrE 4.0 PREL's Open in PrPro 2.0, but PrE 8 PREL's will not
                                                            • The PrE Project should not have Themes, Instant Movies, or 3rd party Transitions or Effects, that do not exist in PrPro

Now, and with much later versions of each program, there could be other constraints too, but I have not experimented in that area yet.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 28. Re: ken burns effect?
                                                              Jordan2903 Level 1

I have PrPro 5.5 and opened files from PrE 9. It worked fine except, like you say, some effects/transitions did not translate and none of these were third party. During the translation PrPro 5.5 posted a screen which stated that it did not have certain video filters, transitions or effects. Nevertheless it opened. I guess it simply ignores whatever it cannot provide. On one file I received the message "Video Transition Missing: NBGlowHarsh-AE" and I have no idea what this was since there were no transitions in the file other than cross dissolve and dip to black, both of which translated perfectly. Go figure.

It sounds to me like one must have a version of PrPro which is current or later than the PrE version it is trying to open.

• 29. Re: ken burns effect?
                                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Thanks for that report.

In my tests, the Projects were minimal, so I did not encounter any issues, but not much was used in PrE.

Now, when migrating PROJ files (Premiere before Pro), and from Mac to a PC, I also encountered missing Transitions (do not recall any Effects in any of these), and PrPro was very good. It not only gave me the name of the missing Transitions (some 3rd party, but I think two were Mac-only from that day), but gave me the TimeCode WHERE the Transitions went on the Timelines. I thought that was pretty neat, and very useful.I jotted down the TimeCodes, added Cross-Dissolves, and all was good. The only possible way that it could have been better, would have been to park the CTI at that location, and then give me a list of similar Transitions, but that would asking for far too much.

Did PrPro give you any additional info, like the full name of the Effect, or Transition? Just curious.

Also, PrE ships with, and installs some NewBlue FX and Transitions, which PrPro does not have. I have also found that some Effects in PrE are not quite the same, and do not have the same plug-in file names, as very similar sounding ones in PrE. Quck glance, and one would assume that they were the same, but they are not.

Your input is greatly appreciated, and good luck,

Hunt

• 30. Re: ken burns effect?
                                                                  Jordan2903 Level 1

I don't think PrPro gave me any info beyond what I said above ("Video Transition Missing: NBGlowHarsh-AE"), but I didn't keep all of the messages from my various translations, so I couldn't say for sure. In Prel I have not generally been using anything very fancy for effects or transitions. I do remember that I had one clip where I had applied an old photo look as an effect and PrPro told me it couldn't translate that. It's the only message I recognized. Most of them were about "video filters".

• 31. Re: ken burns effect?
                                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, as PrPro has no "Old Photo Effect," I would anticipate that. In PrPro, one can use something like Red Giant's MB Looks, or similar, or "roll your own" with a series of other Effects. There are a few other PrE-only Effects too, but I do not have a list handy.

At least you have things working. For those Random Pan & Zooms, I'd just do the initial SlideShow in PrE Organizer, apply Random Pan & Zoom, then link directly to PrE and Export (Share in PrE parlance) for Import into PrPro for final editing.

Good luck, and thanks for the info,

Hunt

• 32. Re: ken burns effect?
                                                                      Jordan2903 Level 1

Actually, you don't have to export from PrE at all, at least not for use in Cs5.5. This is what I missed earlier. All you have to do in PrPro is "Open Project" and browse to the PrE files. It will open them directly and translate them. I think you will have to do work with it first in PrE (unless you don't want to tweak the slides at all) because Organizer saves the slideshow in PrE format as one long video file rather than a series of individual slides. However, in PrE there is a function that breaks the video file apart into individual slides and which can then be tweaked with new keyframes, transitions, effects, etc. Once you have saved the "broken" slide show as a PrE file, PrPro can open it and, voila, you ave individual slides. This may be a lot of steps, but I have not found a function in PrPro that will break apart the long video into slides. Maybe there is such a thing -- I sure don't know everything about PrPro, but I haven't discovered it yet.

• 33. Re: ken burns effect?
                                                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Jordan,

The Organizer's Send to PrE, and PrE's Break Apart are PrE/Organizer functions. I believe that that part of the workflow will need to remain in PrE and Organizer. However, once you have completed the Break Apart, and done the Save (here, I would do a Save_As, just so that you have the original untounched), and then Open that Save_As PREL in PrPro. [Back with my versions, I needed to change the Open filter to "All Files," as PREL's did not initially show up in the folder's view. That might well have changed, but I throw that out, in case others are not seeing PREL's as an option in Open.]

Organizer has two options, after the SlideShow has been created:

• Export (Share in PrE parlance) to WMV, where everything will be Encoded to WMV, and there is no capability to Break Apart*.
                                                                        • Send to PrE, which takes the data from Organizer, and creates a PREL (XML code), which WILL allow Break Apart in PrE

Glad that you have a workflow, though there are a few steps involved. I believe that the first one, the ones that rely on Organizer and PrE, must remain within those programs, and then after the Save_As, plain old Open in PrPro, shouild get you exactly what you want (unless Effects, or Transitions, that are not available to PrPro, are used).

Good luck,

Hunt

* This function would be chosen, if one wished to only deliver the output from Organizer, and not do additional editing. Obviously, with only the WMV format available, one would need a delivery scheme, that accepted WMV.

• 34. Re: ken burns effect?
                                                                          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Jordan2903 wrote:

I don't think PrPro gave me any info beyond what I said above ("Video Transition Missing: NBGlowHarsh-AE"), but I didn't keep all of the messages from my various translations, so I couldn't say for sure. In Prel I have not generally been using anything very fancy for effects or transitions. I do remember that I had one clip where I had applied an old photo look as an effect and PrPro told me it couldn't translate that. It's the only message I recognized. Most of them were about "video filters".

Old Photo effect in Premiere:

old photo.png

• 35. Re: ken burns effect?
                                                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Ann,

Is that Effect the same as the one in PrE? I would anticipate that it is not, since Jordan got the error message.

Thanks,

Hunt

[Edit] I think that I answered my own question. The "Old Film Effect" in PrE is oldfilm.AEX, and is by NewBlue FX, so it is very likely totally different, hence the error message, that Jordan received.

• 36. Re: ken burns effect?
                                                                              Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

No this one you make yourself as Premiere has no Old Photo effect. And no need for a plugin.

• 37. Re: ken burns effect?
                                                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Ann,

Thanks for that clarification.

Appreciated,

Hunt