5 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2011 12:01 PM by ECBowen

Mac PP CS5 not using all CPU anymore

Teench01

All,

I was a cutting a project a while back and put it to the side for a while. I just went back to it and asked Prem to render the work are and was surprised to see it taking forever. I opened the CPU perf view and found hardly any CPU being used. I have a MacPro 2.9GHz 12 core machine with 48M memory and the project drive is a striped set of WD Caviar Blacks. Not only is the machine not breaking a sweat its not even getting out of bed.

Yes I have installed Apple patches since then and some software. PPCS5 is up to date. We I was using the machine a while back it was firing on all threads and cores.

Has anyone seen this before?

Jim

• 1. Re: Mac PP CS5 not using all CPU anymore
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Sorry JIm, but as you can seen there are not too many Mac users here, including me.

If this were a PC I would run some overall tests like our PPBM5 and maybe some other disk and CPU benchmarks.  Sorry I do not know what is available for OSX.  Eventually I hope to develop the procedures for running our PPBM5 on a Mac.  Eric at ADK has recently improvised a way to run PPBM5 benchmark on a Mac, but he is only available by the hour.

• 2. Re: Mac PP CS5 not using all CPU anymore
            Teench01 Level 1

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your email. Yes I did try PPBM5 with some success. Separate to this I decided to let the render run from end to end on my project to see what would happen. So what I saw:

- first 600 odd frames very quick (very = blindingly)

- then it got to 900 odd frames very quick but then came back to the 600th odd frame where each frame took minutes to render for about 60 frames.

- all this time the machine didnt break a sweat,(basically flatline).

- after the slow 60 frames all the processors came to life and for the rest of the render (thousands of frames and multiple sequences) and it was rendering normally

Im trying to figure out what those 60 frames were, as I cant see anything overly complex there that would mean PPCS5 would fail to use all the CPU available (if anything 1 core jumped up every now and then).

Thanks

• 3. Re: Mac PP CS5 not using all CPU anymore
              Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You did not mention if you have MPE available (nVidia graphics card enabled for Premiere).  If you do maybe the GPU is hard at work when the CPU falls off.

When you say render are you talking about Rendering the Timeline or are you describing an encoding process?

Message was edited by: Bill Gehrke

I see from your first post that you are indeed Rendering the work area.

Are you doing any significant scaling in those 60 frames?

Is it really necessary to render your timeline?

• 4. Re: Mac PP CS5 not using all CPU anymore
                Teench01 Level 1

Nop no Nvidia.

• 5. Re: Mac PP CS5 not using all CPU anymore
                  ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

What effects/transitions did you have in that area?

Eric

ADK