7 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2011 6:20 AM by ~graffiti

Adobe Reader X and *.pps files

xman56

Dear Sir or Madam:

With the recent Adobe Reader upgrade (?) to Reader X, I have encountered a problem attempting to open previous received  *.psa files as well as those received after the upgrade.

When attempting to open the file, the following error message is received:"Adobe Reader could not open *.pps because it it either not a  supported file type or because the file has been damaged (for example, it was sent as an email attachment and was't correctly decoded.)  I have attempted to Repair the Reader twice, without success.  Also, one of the recommendation is to "Enable 3rd Party Browser Extensions" under Internet Options, Tools, Advance Settings.  This requirement is enabled.

What is the solution?  When Adobe provides an update, they should send a workable upgrade and not one that wreaks havoc on a clinet's computer.  

• 1. Re: Adobe Reader X and *.pps files
          Bernd Alheit Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Adobe Reader can't open *.psa files. This are Photoshop Album Files.

Adobe Reader can't open *.pps files. This are PowerPoint Slides.

• 2. Re: Adobe Reader X and *.pps files
            xman56 Level 1

Thank you for your reply.  Your response answers my question.  The only

remaining item, I could open emailed Power Point and Photo Album files me with earlier versions of Adobe Reader?  I will attempt removing Reader X and download an earlier version from Adobe's web page.

Once again, thanks.

• 3. Re: Adobe Reader X and *.pps files
              ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You could never open those files with any version of Reader. Reader only opens .PDF files. Always has, always will.

• 4. Re: Adobe Reader X and *.pps files
                MAGANNS

Since downloading Adobe Reader X, not only can I not open any PDF files, it constantly crashes my other programs including Adobe Photoshop and Browser saying Adobe Reader has encounter an unexpected problem and needs to close. You may lose any unsaved material you were working on which of course I do.  I have tried deugging it. Testing it and scanning it and it all comes out okay.  I have also re-downloaded the patch to fix the "problems" all to no avail.  Any helpful advice would be appreciated.  Thanks.

• 5. Re: Adobe Reader X and *.pps files
                  MAGANNS Level 1

I agree that I had no issues with any earlier versions.  X has been a total nightmare for my whole system, not just PDF whether I can technically explain it or not.

• 6. Re: Adobe Reader X and *.pps files
                    xman56 Level 1

Thanks for your response.  Unfortunately, I cannot provide any help since my experience is similar to yours.  I  plan on calling Adobe in the AM.  Hope I can get through.  Adobe Customer Service and web site leave much to be desired.

Hope for the best!

• 7. Re: Adobe Reader X and *.pps files
                      ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

xman56 wrote:

Unfortunately, I cannot provide any help since my experience is similar to yours.

They are nothing alike. The other poster has problems opening PDF files (which is what Reader does). I would suggest they start a thread of their won instead of hopping in to this one.

xman56 wrote:

I  plan on calling Adobe in the AM.  Hope I can get through.

Don't waste your time. We've already given you the answer. Adobe only opens PDF files. Not all the other ones you have mentioned.