18 Replies Latest reply on May 25, 2011 12:40 PM by redbourn

Building new PC - please check my specs

redbourn Level 1

Hi,

I'm just going to build a new PC that I'll use with Adobe CS5

I can get a good price on the following and I'm not flush ;-)

Please tell me what you think.

Motherboard Asus P8P67 Pro

Processor Intel i7-2600

Hard drive WD 500GB Sata3 (enough?)

Graphics Asus ENGTS450/D1/GD5

Memory DDR3 1333Mhz 2GB (enough?)

DVD DRW Asus Sata 24B1LT

Power supply Real 550w

Case - Huntkey

Windows W7 64 bit

Thanks,

Michael

• 1. Re: Building new PC - please check my specs
          TyRip Level 1

Most here will recommend a minimum of 3 physical hard disk drives. One for Windows/Programs, one for Projects/Video files, one for previews/exports.

Also I wouldn't put less than 8gb of RAM in that system, but you may want to think about 16GB.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Building new PC - please check my specs
            Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Welcome aboard the forum.

I second those comments you will not be happy with 2 GB of RAM and Adobe's minimum specifications require a minimum of a second full 7200 rpm disk drive.  I just took a look at a guide to Premiere performance that Harm and I have done for users here, the Premiere Pro Benchmark (PPBM5) web site and with over 400 results posted no one has ever submitted a set of scores with only 2 GB of RAM.  After the CPU the next most important component is RAM.  The more you can afford the better.  If this is an packaged system take it but before you install and want to use Premiere plan on an upgrade and do not use 1 or 2 GB RAM modules go directly to the 4 GB modules so you can eventually go to 16 GB total

• 3. Re: Building new PC - please check my specs
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Michael,

Of course TyRip and Bill nailed it exactly, but for further information, look here: Adobe Forums: System requirements for CS5

It will show you the effective minimum requirements, depending on your source material.

Simply put, your CPU is good, your memory and disk setup are underspecced for DV and WAAYY underspecced for anything more demanding. You PSU choice is marginal and the case may not be a big tower. One has to doubt the wiseness of this system.

• 4. Re: Building new PC - please check my specs
                RjL190365 Level 4

Michael,

I echo TyRip's and Bill's suggestions: A single hard drive for absolutely everything will make even an otherwise extremely fast system relatively slow; in the worst-case scenario, using Harm's PPBM5 terminology, a properly-equipped system that would have otherwise scored near the top (D9) of the PPBM5 results list would have had its performance dropped to Med or even Q1 in the overall score, with the AVI disk score plummeting well into the D1 range, if the OS drive is used for everything. There is a reason why Adobe requires a minimum of two separate hard drives (one for the OS and programs, the other for everything else) just to even run Premiere Pro CS5.x without severe slowdowns (but more disks will be better). And the inclusion of only 2GB total of RAM will launch the CS5.x program, but performance will be (relatively speaking) glacial.

In addition, I recommend a much better-quality power supply than the one you chose: That "Real" 550W, despite its name and claim, cannot actually output 550W without going out of spec. And without knowing the exact model of that case it might as well have been too small for the motherboard you're planning to use in it and/or offered poor airflow capability.

And if you're going to overclock the CPU (which the Sandy Bridge core can handle past 4.0 GHz), I'd recommend the 2600K over the plain 2600: With all four cores being under load, the plain i7-2600 will be restricted to 3.9 GHz at maximum overclock because it is only limited unlocked instead of the nearly limitless unlock of the i7-2600K. Unlike the previous-generation Nehalem-derived CPUs, the Sandy Bridge CPUs do not like their BCLK raised more than about 4 to 5 MHz above the stock 100MHz. This severely limits the BCLK-based overclocking capability, so Intel decided to go with a limited or "limitless" CPU multiplier unlocking feature in SB.

• 5. Re: Building new PC - please check my specs
                  redbourn Level 1

Thanks for all the helpful replies.

I'm going to build the system, and am just checking out the additional costs.

8GB of ram I'll do and am debating 2-3 hard drives.

I'm not intending to do more than short video clips at the moment so 2 drives would most likely be fine, but on the other hand I'd like to start off in an optimal way.

Michael

• 6. Re: Building new PC - please check my specs
                    redbourn Level 1

If I do go for two drives then what would I put on each drive?

Thanks,

Michael

• 8. Re: Building new PC - please check my specs
                      redbourn Level 1

Thanks.

That's really helpful!

I'm obviously not the first one to have asked the question ;-)

I'm leaning towards a third drive - 500GB

Would that most likely be big enough for previews, cache and exports?

This is a new system being built, so NOW would obviously be the time to do it.

Michael

• 9. Re: Building new PC - please check my specs
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Personally I would be leaning towards 1 TB drives, because it gives you double the storage, gives you 32 GB cache instead of 16 GB, has in practice lower fill rates and thus less performance degradation, all for only a few $$ more.

• 10. Re: Building new PC - please check my specs
                          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

My 3 hard drives are configured as... (WD = Western Digital)

1 - 320G WD Win7 64bit Pro and all program installs
                          2 - 320G WD Win7 swap file and video project files
                          3 - 1T WD all video files... read and write files
                          • 11. Re: Building new PC - please check my specs
                            RjL190365 Level 4

Depending on the age of your 320GB WD hard drives, you might want to change that setup or even purchase new hard drives to replace those 320s. This is because the early-generation 320s are only about half as fast as most of the 1TB hard drives - 65 MB/s maximum for the early 320s compared to the 130-ish MB/s maximum for most of the 1TB drives.

• 12. Re: Building new PC - please check my specs
                              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As any drive fails I will replace with whatever is current at the time... for now, it isn't broke so I'm not going to spend $$

• 13. Re: Building new PC - please check my specs
                                RjL190365 Level 4

John,

I know that you're trying to save money, and you're trying to milk the most life out of the existing hard drives, but the fact remains that your system's performance could be improved further - much further. Without knowing how old your 320GB drives actually are your system might as well have been as slow as or slower than even a properly tuned old-generation Core 2 Quad at this present time. A new 1TB 7200RPM hard drive currently sells for about $60 each.

• 14. Re: Building new PC - please check my specs
                                  redbourn Level 1

Hi,

If I have three disks and have my programs on disk 1, should I keep documents and emails etc stored on disk 1?

Thanks.

Michael

• 16. Re: Building new PC - please check my specs
                                    redbourn Level 1

I just finished building my new pc and the following is the best that I could do with availabl funds.

3.40 gigahertz Intel Core i7-2600

256 kilobyte primary memory cache

1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache

8192 kilobyte tertiary memory cache

64-bit ready

Multi-core (4 total)

Hyper-threaded (8 total)

Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P8P67 PRO Rev 1.xx

Serial Number: 109425690001219

Bus Clock: 100 megahertz

BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 1502 03/02/2011

8170 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM0' has 4096 MB (serial number 842C7FC)

Slot 'DIMM1' is Empty

Slot 'DIMM2' has 4096 MB (serial number 842C7EC)

Slot 'DIMM3' is Empty

1750.36 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity

1547.17 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

ASUS DRW-24B1LT ATA Device [Optical drive]

Sony Storage Media USB Device [Hard drive] (4.02 GB) -- drive 3, s/n 

WDC WD25 WD-WCANKK17 USB Device [Hard drive] (250.06 GB) -- drive 4, s/n 

WDC WD5000AAKX-001CA0 [Hard drive] (500.11 GB) -- drive 2, s/n WD-WCAYUL689931, rev 15.01H15, SMART Status: Healthy

WDC WD5000AAKX-001CA0 [Hard drive] (500.11 GB) -- drive 1, s/n WD-WCAYUL571520, rev 15.01H15, SMART Status: Healthy

WDC WD5000AAKX-001CA0 [Hard drive] (500.11 GB) -- drive 0, s/n WD-WCAYUL572736, rev 15.01H15, SMART Status: Healthy

NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450 [Display adapter]

DELL 2209WA [Monitor] (22.0"vis, s/n XX-0H735H-XXXXX-028-06PL, February 2010)

Question.

I have Adobe Dreamweaver CS4 ; Photshop CS5 and Premiere CS5 - which order should I install them in?

Thanks,

Michael

• 17. Re: Building new PC - please check my specs
                                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Makes no difference at all.

• 18. Re: Building new PC - please check my specs
                                        redbourn Level 1

Thanks Harm,

I was just concerned about shared apps like Bridge etc.

It's possible that I may do some work on weddings, divorces, birthdays and bar-mitvahs etc but people want the work done so cheaply and don't seem to understand that 5 cameras for 5-6 hours means days just wading through material.

Then on top of the editing there's all the titles etc.

Michael