10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2011 9:46 PM by multi-media-man.com

Update to Premiere 5.5 is a joke

CRSIII

After installing all 3 disks and seeing that the install was complete,

I checked the W7 desktop for changes. Same old icons and they

launch all 5.0 program versions.

The only real reason was to get rid of that junky Soundbooth and get an updated Audition.

So Adobe doesn't update the desktop icons? I have to fish around for them and then kill off the old ones? That seems kind of primative. After finding the 5.5 Premiere icon and launching the program, I now discover that the 5.0 projects now have to be "converted". After converting one, it no longer works.

Plus it no longer recognizes my Black Magic Desgin interface - so I guess I have to rip out and reinstall that too.

Thanks for nothing Adobe.

• 1. Re: Update to Premiere 5.5 is a joke
          shooternz Level 6

Did you uninstall CS5?    If not..why did you expect it to get rid of the CS5 Desktop Icons?

How did you get the CS5 application icons on the desktop in the first place?  (You did it manually actually).

So why did you expect that application icons would be automatically on the desktop with an install of CS5.5

...and if they had of over written the CS5 icons.... you would still be here ranting about that I suspect.

now discover that the 5.0 projects now have to be "converted". After converting one, it no longer works.

The projects I converted to CS5.5 worked fine so somethings wrong with your set up.

It is likely that you will need to re set up your BM interface so that CS5.5 recognises it.  All the CS5.5 files are in different folders ( namely "CS5.5).  This will include 3rd party plug ins and your preferences.

• 2. Re: Update to Premiere 5.5 is a joke
            CRSIII Level 1

Well because it's an upgrade to 5.0.  And there was no indication, printed or otherwise, to uninstall anything first. Why would I be presumptive about that?

Also, why can't it recognize the Black Magic interface?

You call that a rant? You must have led a sheltered like.

• 3. Re: Update to Premiere 5.5 is a joke
              shooternz Level 6

Diddums..you only have to drag your application icons to the desktop and it is well documented that CS5 and CS5.5 coexist together.

Would you prefer that the new version overwrote the other.  ( No one else would)

You will need to manually get the newer version of CS5.5  to recognise the BM Drivers.

I have no idea why your converted project is broken though.

• 4. Re: Update to Premiere 5.5 is a joke
                Colin Brougham Level 6

Well because it's an upgrade to 5.0.  And there was no indication, printed or otherwise, to uninstall anything first. Why would I be presumptive about that?

Exactly; it's an upgrade. It is not an update. It is a completely different version of Premiere Pro, not a point release to CS5. There is no indication that you need to uninstall anything because you don't need to uninstall anything.

And yeah, that is a rant. We're all users here, too--Adobe folks come in now and then, but for the most part, you're talking to people who don't have anything to do with the company. We do what we can to help each other out, but that involves giving some details about the problem so that we can do that. It's understandable that you're frustrated, but screaming into space doesn't help us help you.

Shooter is right about the BMD drivers; you need new versions.

• 5. Re: Update to Premiere 5.5 is a joke
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Oops, did you expect that CS5.5.would overwrite CS 5? It will not. Adobe programs very, very seldom do that. It allows one to install the upgrades onto the system, without overwriting any earlier versions.

Good luck, and keep the older version handy - just in case.

Hunt

• 6. Re: Update to Premiere 5.5 is a joke
                    Steve C2 Level 2
                    keep the older version handy - just in case

Hi,

Bill is absolutely right about this.  Many times, one can just use a new version without looking back.  But, the new version of Audition is proof of this.  While it offers some enhancements, some features of AA 3 have not been implemented.  Just take a look at the various posts on the Audition forum to get an idea.

Steve

• 7. Re: Update to Premiere 5.5 is a joke
                      Mortimer IOU Level 2

What Steve said.

Au5.5 works much more efficiently with PrPro than Au3 did, good news for us video workers. But from a strictly audio point of view, not all the good things  in Au3 are yet in the new version.

• 8. Re: Update to Premiere 5.5 is a joke
                        TradeWind Level 3

All ridiculousness aside....your 5.0 projects are PROBABLY failing in 5.5 PRECISELY due to one of your stated issues...that being the Blackmagic drivers. I'll assume for now that once you install the updated drivers and set your Premiere Pro back to working with the Blackmagic device that your old 5.0 projects (that you converted to 5.5 projects) will now work perfectly fine.

I would ask that you save the drama for your mama, and let us all know if the new Blackmagic drivers solve the problem once you get that device reconfigured in Premiere Pro. It likely will take you less time to fix this problem than it will to respond to this thread confirming the success.

Happy to help, but I cannot be your nanny (would likely be illegal anyway, and lots of timeouts). Do post back though and let us know if the new drivers fix everything up (except the desktop icons, of course).

• 9. Re: Update to Premiere 5.5 is a joke
                          rickg1949 Level 1

Anyone have any thoughts on whether or not a "Clean Install" is good idea?

Right now I have CS4 and CS5 in edit station.  (putting CS4 back in along with CS5 gave me .mpeg HDV previews in Bridge which I need.)  So updating/grading to my CS5.5 Master Suite will add to the drive.  Things are working well now, don't want to upset the cart.

RG

• 10. Update to Master 5.5 changes system set-up
                            multi-media-man.com

After installing CS5.5 Master Edition, desktop configuration changed, dtp shortcut icons and bookmarks in Chrome disappeared. Its like I got a new system set-up.

After uninstalling CS5.5 I got all the original settings back. Anyone knows what is going on? I run Windows7, 4gb RAM, i5.