14 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2011 2:34 PM by the_wine_snob

Exporting in CS5

Vantheman38

Hello,

2 Questions:

Question 1:

I have a PP on CS5 for my Macbook pro and I have a 2 hour and 17 minute show that when I export it using encorder the file size is 30.71 GB mov. file.  Is there another output type that I can use to import in ENCORE CS5 without having too much loss of quality?  I shot the show with DSR 570 and DVCAM tape.  Is there another setting in the capture process?

Question 2:

What is the best way to work with ENCORE when building this project?  I'm using Dual Layer discs, but I'm still over the disk space.  I still have not created the graphics, menus and after effects files for the project, which will send it over.  When in Encore, I'm getting an Hardware error message as well.

I look forward to the response

• 1. Re: Exporting in CS5
          Colin Brougham Level 6

To both questions:

Select your sequence, and select File > Adobe Dynamic Link > Send to Encore. This will create a virtual movie in Encore that you can use to create a timeline, author, etc. Encore will automatically select the bitrate necessary to fit the video to disc.

• 2. Re: Exporting in CS5
            Vantheman38 Level 1

Hi Colin,

Unfortunately, this didn't work.  The file size was too large (9GB) and could not fit on the disk, plus I received a Hardware error message and the disk did not complete burn.  Any other suggestions because I have another project that will be over 2.5 hours long and it can't be broken up.

• 3. Re: Exporting in CS5
              davidbeisner2010 Level 3

What was your specific hardware error?

• 4. Re: Exporting in CS5
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>size was too large (9GB) and could not fit on the disk

1-in Encore, you ARE selecting a dual layer disk for output?

2-in Encore, you ARE using the automatic encoding option?

• 5. Re: Exporting in CS5
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

If Encore is set to Automatic Transcode, then the error message should be along the lines of "necessary Bit-Rate will be below 2.5mbps, and will not work," or similar syntax.

However, that Duration should fit onto a DVD-9, at an allowable Bit-Rate, as I have squeezed almost 4.5 hours of material onto one, though the quality was pretty low, but still above the 2.5, that was at least the old Bit-Rate lower limit.

Also check in Encore, that you do not have:

ROM Content (note there is a tiny bit of data written to ROM Content by default, but it's easy to accidentally add more).

No Timelines duplicated.

Colin's workflow should work fine for you, so long as you have En set to Automatic Transcode (or go into the Project Panel, and with a Bit-Rate calculator, manually adjust the Bit-Rate. This does require some math, hence our suggestion to have Encore set to Automatic).

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Exporting in CS5
                    davidbeisner2010 Level 3

After using Dynamic Link to Encore, I get consistent errors upon completion of the transcode prior to burning--the error I get is that another process is accessing the file (i'm assuming the prproj file) and it can't complete the transcode. I've not yet gotten any suggestions from folks here or on the Encore forum as to the reason for/fixes for that error... I'm curious to know if that's the same error you're getting. Ultimately I had to export to mpeg2-dvd from Premiere, and went to two DVDs for one project I was working on.

• 7. Re: Exporting in CS5
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

David,

This is just a guess on my part, but with ADL, there should not be any issues with PrPro and the linked Sequence. If there is an issue with PrPro, then something is not working correctly.

I'd suspect some other program, such as Windows Indexing, or some active, real-time anit-virus scanner "locking" the file, while it works on it.

For several reasons, I do not use ADL (PrPro to En), so am anything BUT an expert on it.

If you have not done so, I would post your exact details into the Encore Forum, as others will likely be able to address the issue, and have better ideas, than I do.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Exporting in CS5
                        davidbeisner2010 Level 3

Thanks, Hunt... I did so a few days ago, but haven't received any replies

(at least not been e-mailed about them... though with Jive's wonderful

reliability, I suppose I ought to manually check for answers!)

I have indexing turned off for all my drives, and I got the same error code

after multiple tries with system restarts in between... and the file was NOT

part of the section of my drives that gets automatically backed up to

external. I've used DL successfully for several years, but have consistently

gotten that error over the past few weeks. Since there had been several

months between these attempts and my last use of DL to encore, I haven't the

slightest idea what could have changed on my system to create this error...

Anyway, to the OP... don't mean to be hijacking your thread, but I'm very

curious to know if you're getting the same error I am.

• 9. Re: Exporting in CS5
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

David,

I had not seen, or maybe noticed the post to Encore, but will poke around. Not sure that I have anything new to add, or ask about though.

I have indexing turned off for all my drives, and I got the same error code after multiple tries with system restarts in between... and the file was NOTpart of the section of my drives that gets automatically backed up to external.

Thank you for that info - shoots one theory out of the water, but at now we can move on.

Good luck, and hope that I can come up with something useful in the Encore Forum. I know that Stanley and Jeff use ADL a lot, so should have some ideas for you.

Hunt

PS - I am also curious about the OP's error message, as it might well hold the key to their issue.

• 10. Re: Exporting in CS5
                            Vantheman38 Level 1

Unfortunately, this didn't work.  I'm confused because I imported the time line in Encore. When I imported the timeline, the disk space was 8.34GB for Dual layer which should be enough.  How do you turn off the DVD ROM settings in Encore?  Also, the error message I received is "Encore was unable to Complete the operation because of a hardware error [Sense Code 30200] Please contact hardware manufacture.

• 11. Re: Exporting in CS5
                              davidbeisner2010 Level 3

A google search of that error code gave this result:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/731220

Appears to be an issue with DVD-9 media. The first culprit I'd look to is

bad media, and verify your disc manufacturer as Harm suggests in his post.

• 12. Re: Exporting in CS5
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

As David points out, SenseCode errors are most often issues with the media, or with the burner (often a firmware update will take care of these).

What brand of blank media are you using, and at what speed are you burning?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Exporting in CS5
                                  davidbeisner2010 Level 3

A while back I had some significant issues with media that had been sold to

me as Tayio Yuden but ended up being an off-brand that had been "hacked" to

appear as such... a close examination of the serial number of your specific

disc (burned into the disc on the backside near the ring) will reveal the

specific manufacturer of your disc (and revealed mine as fakes). Another

program that was introduced to me during the process is one called

ImgBurn... it'll allow you to burn a created disc image to a DVD, often when

Encore doesn't. And it will show you ALL the info about your specific DVD,

including the actual manufacturer and serial number...

• 14. Re: Exporting in CS5
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

David,

I use ImgBurn's media identification module often, though usually for others' discs, that are giving them issues.

It was through ImgBurn, that I became aware of the different actual brands, in a 100 disc spindle of Memorex! I sat down with such a spindle, and tested each disc, to find 4 different mfgrs., and then some variations within those.

Glad that you nailed the fake T-Y's.

Hunt