4 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2011 7:50 AM by Mylenium

File Format for Avid

AngelThMan

I've been working on Final Cut/After Effects jobs, but now I have an upcoming Avid/After Effects job.  Can someone tell me the proper file format I should output to for the Avid?  Thanks.

• 1. Re: File Format for Avid
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

You should always ask the person that you'll be delivering the files to what specifications they want. That will be far more informative than any speculation from us.

• 2. Re: File Format for Avid
            AngelThMan Level 1

Problem is, I'm the person I'll be delivering the files to.  Yes, I'm both  the editor and the After Effects Artist.  Therefore, I need to have the  answers.  If this were for Final Cut, which is what I'm accustomed to, I  would know that I need to make .mov files, and normally use either  h.264 or ProRes codecs.  But I have no idea what to output to for the Avid,  or what are the best lossless codecs, etc.

• 3. Re: File Format for Avid
              Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

The DNxHD codec is what most Avid editors use for an intermediate codec, much like ProRes is used on the FCP side. More info here: http://www.avid.com/US/industries/workflow/DNxHD-Codec

• 4. Re: File Format for Avid
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

or what are the best lossless codecs, etc.

Avid CoDecs?! I mean, if you work on the same system, they are already there at your fingertips. And you are posing the wrong question - it's not about "lossless", it's about efficient. Doesn't do you any good to render to DNxHD, if your project is set to the "classic" Avid Uncompressed (OMF) or MXF. Only newer versions of Media Composer will allow mixed media timelines and/ or do background conforms, for older versions the Import CoDec ideally would match the project settings or else you could just as well use conventional CoDecs like Animation and have long import times. So look at the bigegr picture here and consider both sides.

Mylenium