6 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2011 11:57 AM by JJMack

problems getting an action for hdr toníng

Rudy Floripa

Dear users,

my request is to create an action using specific settings for the hdr toning, because i need to apply the hdr toning to more than
      1000 images.

But for some reason the action is not recording my settings?

The configuration of my PC:

Intel Quad Core

16 GB Ram

Scratch space more than 500 GB

CS 5  64 Bit Vers. 12.0.04

Also tried scriptlistening, but as you can see below, there were no parameters or settings recorded?

var idPly = charIDToTypeID( "Ply " );
          var desc5 = new ActionDescriptor();
          var idnull = charIDToTypeID( "null" );
              var ref3 = new ActionReference();
              var idCmnd = charIDToTypeID( "Cmnd" );
              ref3.putIndex( idCmnd, 1 );
              var idActn = charIDToTypeID( "Actn" );
              ref3.putName( idActn, "hdr" );
              var idASet = charIDToTypeID( "ASet" );
              ref3.putName( idASet, "Default Actions" );
          desc5.putReference( idnull, ref3 );
          var idCntn = charIDToTypeID( "Cntn" );
          desc5.putBoolean( idCntn, true );
      executeAction( idPly, desc5, DialogModes.NO );

Would be great to get any suggestions or help.

Thx Rudy!

• 1. Re: problems getting an action for hdr toníng
          Muppet Mark-QAl63s Level 4

I may well be wrong but at a very quick glance I would say that you have recorded the playing of an action… What you need do with scriptlistener is record the process/dialog or what ever it is again and utilize the output from that…

• 2. Re: problems getting an action for hdr toníng
            Rudy Floripa Level 1

You ´re right, the copied file displays the playing of the action.
            But the recording of the action itself give´s even less information, non of the settings were recorded?

var idAdobeScriptAutomationScripts = stringIDToTypeID( "AdobeScriptAutomation Scripts" );
                var desc9 = new ActionDescriptor();
                var idjsCt = charIDToTypeID( "jsCt" );
                desc9.putPath( idjsCt, new File( "C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Adobe Photoshop CS5 (64 Bit)\\Required\\HDRToning.jsx" ) );
                var idjsMs = charIDToTypeID( "jsMs" );
                desc9.putString( idjsMs, "undefined" );
            executeAction( idAdobeScriptAutomationScripts, desc9, DialogModes.NO );

• 3. Re: problems getting an action for hdr toníng
              JJMack Most Valuable Participant

If you recorded an action that you use menu Image>Adjustments>HDR Toning... that step would record the uses of a script that ships with Photoshop CS5. On a Windows system its "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5\Required\HDRToning.jsx"  This script seems to retrieve the last setings it saved and set its dialog settings to them. It is not coded as a plugin like the Fit Image Script that will record its Dialog Settings into an Action step and not display a dialog when the action step is played.  It is a more normal script like the Image Processor that will record the dialog setting used the last time it was used and will display then in its dialog when it displays it for user interaction as a starting point.  This script is interactive through its dialog. If batched the dialog will cause the batch process to be interavtive for each image.

So your action does not get your settings recorded into it but the script does retrieve settings you used and records changes you make to then during its execution.

To do what you want you would need to program an HDR Toning Script that is a Photoshop Plug-in script like the Fit Image script shipped with CS5 is. Look at the Plug-in support in "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5\Presets\Scripts\Fit Image.jsx"  You may be able to creat the script you need by examining these two scripts.

• 4. Re: problems getting an action for hdr toníng
                Muppet Mark-QAl63s Level 4

Im not sat in front of a box equipped with CS5 at the moment… Even so it appears that HDRToning is a pre-installed script… Have you tried open it in the ESTK to see what it does? Thats if it not some binary…

• 5. Re: problems getting an action for hdr toníng
                  Rudy Floripa Level 1

Thanks for replying, thought, that i might cope without writing a script?
                  I tried to record some other apps from the image adjustments panel, but most of them came out with settings in the scriptlistener?

• 6. Re: problems getting an action for hdr toníng
                    JJMack Most Valuable Participant

ESTK ships with Photoshop "Adobe ExtendScript Toolkit CS5" and is the default application if you double click on a jsx file.  I'm just a script hacker and the way "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5\Required\HDRToning.jsx" interacts with Photoshop and its features or plugins is above my knowledge  It also looks like it will always prompt you to flatten images that are not flat. How the actual toning is done I do not see in the script.  I never knew the "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5\Required\"  contained a script till your append and I recoeded a Photoshop Action to see what would be recorded in the action step. I do not understand the structure and the functions in the "HDRToning.jsx" script. Do not know if it would even work if you executed it from the ESTK and not from menu Image>Adjustment>HDR Toning... .