12 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2011 6:18 AM by ekuryluk

Unable to preview or edit clips on a Mac

ekuryluk

Hello,

I've searched these forums for hours and wasn't able to find a specific resolution for this problem on a Mac.

I am trying to edit a 1 1/2 hour performance (school talent show) for export to DVD.  I was able to start editing with no issues. Now, after a day's break, I can't preview the timeline or clips. I see still images of the clips and can scroll through the clip by moving the playback line.

My system specs:

PSE 9.0.1

15" MacBook Pro:

2.66ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

4gb memory

OSX 10.6.7 (latest)

PSE File Storage

2TB ext FW800 drive (1.4 TB avail)

Connected directly to the computer, no other drives attached

NEC 24" IPS display.

The footage was captured on a Canon Vixia HFM300 and PSE imported as .mts files. I had a second camera rolling with footage I would like to edit in. That camera was a Panasonic HDRXCX100. These files imported in .mod format and have not been added to the timeline.

Thank you,

Ed

• 1. Re: Unable to preview or edit clips on a Mac
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Ed,

Welcome to the forum.

With playback and display issues, it's often a matter of one's video display driver. Not sure how these are affected by a Mac OS update, but on the PC-side of the street, a simple OS update, or hot-fix, can render the video driver obsolete. The solution is to go to the mfgr's. Web site, download and install the latest driver for one's OS.

Sorry, but I just do not know how things work in Mac-land.

Please let us know if this gets your playback going, and good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Unable to preview or edit clips on a Mac
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You say you can see and scroll through the clips but you can't preview them. (Needless to say, you should check your Mac to ensure that all the latest updates have been installed.) (Bill, the drivers are all updated when the Mac updates. No need to go to any third-party sourceswith OSX.)

So you're saying that you just can't play them at all -- or that when you play them you don't see anything in the Monitor?

In any event, part of the issue may be your system. AVCHD usually requires a quad core processor to edit.

Or it could be that you've overloaded your project. Or corrupted your project by loading the MOD files into it.

As an experiment, start a new project (make sure you've selected the AVCHD 1920x1080 stereo project settings). Add some of your Canon's footage. (Make sure to only use footage that was shot in FXP or MXP mode.)

Does everything work as it should?

BTW, as a good rule of thumb, you should only load about 70 minutes of video on a DVD. (Or twice that on a dual-layer disc.) Any more than that and you're going to need to reduce the quality to fit it all on.

• 3. Re: Unable to preview or edit clips on a Mac
              ekuryluk Level 1

Thanks for the suggestions.

To answer Steve's question. I am unable to play the clips at all.

I double-checked,  I have the latest updates from Apple and Adobe. BTW, I have no other programs running and have turned off things like Time Machine, AV software, etc.

I tried the experiment as suggested, and tried to play a preview clip and then tried the timeline. However the situation remains the same as before. While running the experiment I had the Activity Monitor open, PSE is running 60-70% CPU, it's been running at that level ever since I hit play (an hour ago). During this time, I've been able to open other applications and run them with no hit to their performance.

I'm baffled.

• 4. Re: Unable to preview or edit clips on a Mac
                Paul Dorotich

Although I cannot address the technical issue you face, you might want to consider the following approach for a project of this size. I have edited a couple of highschool musicals lasting in excess of 2 hours. These were filmed with 3 cameras on 3 separate nights, so I have as many as 9 tracks on the go at once. This is a huge amount of data and is unwieldy for editting. Initially I create a project in which I synch all the video tracks and I save this as my master. Then for each scene, I open the master, chop out everything on each side of that scene, and re-save the file under a new project name. This leaves me with segments that are only 4-12 minutes in length. After rendering each scene, I assemble them in a final project and stitch them together to create a full length video. Not only is it easier on computer resources, it also means that if a file is corrupted or lost, I do not lose all my work from previous scenes.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Unable to preview or edit clips on a Mac
                  ekuryluk Level 1

Thanks Paul, my workflow is similar, but breaking it into smaller segments is a great suggestion. Right now I can't even get one clip to work properly!

• 6. Re: Unable to preview or edit clips on a Mac

What happens if you store your project and video files on your computer's hard drive rather than on your external drive?

• 7. Re: Unable to preview or edit clips on a Mac
                      i_dream_of_jeannie Level 1

You have mentioned PSE ? Are you using Phortoshop elements? Please use Premiere Elements for video editing.

• 8. Re: Unable to preview or edit clips on a Mac
                        ekuryluk Level 1

I moved the files to my internal drive. Still continue to have the same problem.

This morning I went out and filmed 3 short clips of fresh footage. I imported those and still have the same results: I see a still image of the in preview and monitor panes, but it doesn't play in either.

What folders/files do I need to delete so that I removing all traces of any video I have uploaded for PRE? I have backups of all the original files on a separate storage device, maybe if I start from scratch I can resurrect this. 35 parents are waiting for DVDs of the show!

Thanks for everyone's help so far!

• 9. Re: Unable to preview or edit clips on a Mac
                          ekuryluk Level 1

Jeannie, I have been using the wrong acronym. Thanks for pointing this out. I am using Premiere Elements 9 for this project,

• 10. Re: Unable to preview or edit clips on a Mac

If, when you created your original project, you created it in a new folder (as I always recommend) then deleting an old project is easy. You just delete this folder and all of the media and render files go with it.

If not -- well, it's a lot harder to track down all of the render, scratch and temp files.

1 person found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: Unable to preview or edit clips on a Mac
                              ekuryluk Level 1

I just wanted to come back to close this out. It's a peeve of mine when people don't say whether or not a solution works, it helps future users.

Anyhow, after deleting the files (I did have them all in one folder) and reimporting, editing has gone smoothly. In fact this is an enjoyable program to work in. I'm about halfway through the project. Fingers crossed I'll be able to finish soon.

Thanks Bill, Steve and Paul for your help. Awesome and timely help!

Ed

• 12. Re: Unable to preview or edit clips on a Mac

Thanks for reporting back, Ed! Happy moviemaking!