3 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2011 9:43 AM by watern

How can I force update image sequences?

watern

I am using Premiere to composite various image sequences from a 3D program, Blender.  Many times I export a draft version from Blender, import the sequence to Premiere, place it in the time line, then I find that I want to make some changes in Blender and re-render some of the frames.  Of the frames that I re-render, Premiere only updates some of them.

I did a test where I re-rendered a section with a different background color to the scene.  In Premiere it updated the first three frames, then the fourth was the old image, 5th and 6th were new, 7th was old, 8th and 9th were new, and so on.  It did this for the entire updated image sequence, using a combination of old and new frames.

I did the above test three times.  The first time I saw mixed frames, the second time everything imported fine, the third time I got the mixed frames again.

If I restart premiere, then it goes through the "media pending" screen for all of my media and it then shows the correct updated frames, but that would be inconvenient to have to restart premiere every time I want to see my new frames.

I am using Premiere Pro CS5.0.3, on a 2.66 Ghz Quad-Core Mac Pro with 8GB of RAM.  The files are located on an eSATA RAID 5 array.

Is there a way I can force Premiere to update the frames in the image sequences?

Does anyone else have these problems?  What do you do when dealing with many image sequences that you update frequently?

Thanks for any help.

• 1. Re: How can I force update image sequences?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Exactly how are you getting the new Blender Assets onto your PrPro Timeline?

As there is no ADL (Adobe Dynamic Link) between PrPro and Blender, I assume that you are doing a new Export from Blender, and then a new Import into PrPro, and manually replacing the Assets on the Timeline. Is that correct?

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How can I force update image sequences?
            watern Level 1

Thanks for the fast reply, Bill.

I export the images from Blender as a numbered PNG sequence.

Import the image sequence into Premiere.

Place the sequence into the time line.

Re-export changed stills from Blender, overwriting some of the old PNG images.

I do not re-import the sequence into Premiere.  I was hoping I could force it to update the stills it is using in it's project.

Does that make sense?

• 3. Re: How can I force update image sequences?
              joe bloe premiere Level 5

Is there a way I can force Premiere to update the frames in the image sequences?

Three choices.
              1. Don't leave Premiere open while rendering in another
              application (this is what I do).
              Overwritten files will update when you launch Premiere.

2. Right-click your image sequence in the Project window,
              select "Make Offline...>Media Files Remain on Disk>OK.
              Then, right-click your image sequence in the Project window,
              select "Link Media...

3. Close then re-open your project without exiting Premiere.
              File>Close (Ctrl>W), then re-open same project.