5 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2011 4:12 AM by Aniks

Compatibility with PowerPoint?

Paul Dorotich

I have edited videos in PE9 for Mac and saved them as both MOV and MPG files. Both formats play in VLC, and as expected, only the MOV plays in QuickTime. However, when I try to insert either format into PowerPoint (ver 2011 for Mac), an error message pops up stating that the "file is non-standard or QuickTime is not installed properly". PowerPoint will play other avi, mpg, or mov files but seems to hang only on the ones I create in PE9. I am assuming there is something about the codec but not sure how to resolve it. Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Compatibility with PowerPoint?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I would also search at Microsoft to see the exact technical specifications for Powerpoint

http://search.microsoft.com/search.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US

• 2. Re: Compatibility with PowerPoint?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

PowerPoint will play other avi, mpg, or mov files but seems to hang only on the ones I create in PE9. I am assuming there is something about the codec but not sure how to resolve it. Any suggestions?

I agree that this is most definitely a CODEC issue. Per John T's rec., finding out which CODEC's PP will accept will tell you how you need to Export/Share your AV files.

For some background on AV file formats as "wrappers," this ARTICLE might be useful.

For more discussion on CODEC's, see this ARTICLE.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - also, please update the thread, when you get the details of what PP for Mac wants, as it will likely help others in the future.

• 3. Re: Compatibility with PowerPoint?
              Paul Dorotich Level 1

So after much searching, I think I have resolved my own issue. I took a look at the codecs associated with each of the files. The MOV files were output with DV/DVCPRO-NTSC, Linear PCM, Time Code, while the MPG files are MPEG-2 Video, AC3. These are the same as other files which work without issue in PowerPoint, so I was baffled until I thought about the length of each video. It turns out that for videos under a few minutes (I don't know the exact limit) you can add the video either through a link or by embedding it in the presentation file. For longer videos, such as the 14-minute one I was trying to use, you cannot embed it in the PowerPoint file. As soon as I used the link option, the MOV file worked without problem. PowerPoint on the Mac is still unable to play mpg files, but that is an issue for another forum. Thanks to those of you who responded so promptly with ideas.

• 4. Re: Compatibility with PowerPoint?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Great news, and thank you for reporting. I learned something about PP, that I did not know, though hardly ever use it. I'd imagine that others will learn from your research.

Thanks, and good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Compatibility with PowerPoint?
                  Aniks Level 2

That's great that your problem is solved.

And thanks for sharing your findings also.