Exit

Search tab in Help not displaying topics in merged helps

Enthusiast ,
May 16, 2011 May 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi RHelpers,

Question on merged helps.

Me and my coworker installed the exact same version of our software we're documenting. We access the help system, and both of us search for the exact same term.

I get results from the main help as well as applicable merged helps.

He only gets it from the main help.

Why isn't his returning topics in the merged helps as expected? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Jared

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 17, 2011 May 17, 2011

Ah, merged CHMs, you didn't mention that although I wondered when I saw about local installation. Next question is what version of RoboHelp but regardless look at Using RoboHelp 9 Item 13 on my site. I wouldn't mind betting that the parent project HHP has an absolute path in it.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 16, 2011 May 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are both looking at the same installation of a web application, I cannot see how that can happen. In our environment though we will often have multiple instances of a web application where the version is the same but it is on different platforms.

If it is a local application, have you checked the help folders are complete?

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 17, 2011 May 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a local installation. The help files are stored in a sub directory off of where the application is installed. I'm not sure what you mean by checking if "the help folders are complete".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wherever the help is installed there will be a mergedProjects folder. Check it is there and that all the child projects got installed.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, yes the main help and the merged helps reside in an "en" (for English) subfolder off of where the product is installed. It contains all the expected .chm files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, merged CHMs, you didn't mention that although I wondered when I saw about local installation. Next question is what version of RoboHelp but regardless look at Using RoboHelp 9 Item 13 on my site. I wouldn't mind betting that the parent project HHP has an absolute path in it.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peter. I'll take a look. I forgot to mention I'm using RH 7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Absolute paths in the HHP file were indeed the problem. I didn't notice any problem on my end when I tested the help after building it the first time becuase I obviously had the helps in those absolute paths. Thanks again for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do both installs have all the same number of folders and files? That would be "completeness."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp