5 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2011 8:15 AM by Harm Millaard

i7 2600k build

e_franke

Hey, planning on building this comuter for some video editing. I plan on creating in ae and incorporating that into premier. will be working with several layers of video, in the medium range of codecs. no deadlines or anything, just for fun. let me know what you think, and any suggestions are grealty appreciated.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=17493646

thanks

• 1. Re: i7 2600k build
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Looks like a decent setup, apart from the case. Go for a big case, better airflow, cooling, cable management and more expansion room. Consider adding a couple of F3's. If your budget is tight, lose the SSD and get a Samsung F4 320 GB for OS & programs, it will not make any difference in performance when editing.

Just published the results for someone using a SSD as primary storage and he ended up in rank # 165, when he went for conventional disks and only used the SSD for OS & programs, he ended up in rank # 48, which shows that SSD is one big hype and does nothing to performance at all while editing.

See PPBM5 Benchmark

• 2. Re: i7 2600k build
            e_franke Level 1

Thank you very much for the response. I cannot stress enough how helpful some of the posts are on here. I have one more question. Is there any downfall to swapping the mobo to this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157230

its a little cheaper, lets me snag another hd, and the mobo on the list has SLI, which only improves gaming? I may be wrong here, but am interested to see what you guys think. what other mobo would you recommend in this price range for performance (not planning on OC)

thanks

• 3. Re: i7 2600k build
              Scott Chichelli Level 3

Harm Millaard wrote:

Just published the results for someone using a SSD as primary storage and he ended up in rank # 165, when he went for conventional disks and only used the SSD for OS & programs, he ended up in rank # 48, which shows that SSD is one big hype and does nothing to performance at all while editing.

hillarious....and sad. it also depends on what SSD drives are used as well

when we used the Mushkins in raid 0 (2 disk) we did see an increase but it was 1 second faster only (AVI test) compared to standard 2 disk raid 0

and using our 30 minute AVCHD to H264 was not much better either.

many of the SSDs out there have great read speed but terrible write..

Scott

ADK

• 4. Re: i7 2600k build
                e_franke Level 1

Also, any suggestions on a case. I prefer the minimalist style of that antec, but what would you recommend?

• 5. Re: i7 2600k build
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Antec 900+ or 1200+ for instanc, or the Cooler Master HAF 932 or X series. There are many.