3 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2011 11:21 AM by the_wine_snob

Rookie needs rules of thumb re: P-Pro or Soundbooth to edit audio of a video?

The Un-dr. Level 1

Hello, I'm a rookie having just purchased the CS5 Master Collection and I'm editing the video of my first skydive last week. I want to add an mp3 music track to the freefall section etc.

I've watched most of the Lynda.com "essential training" videos for both Premiere Pro and Soundbooth, but I'm still wondering which application would be best.

What are some basic guidelines or rules to decide where to edit the audio for a video? For this project, all I need to do is make the mp3 audio track start about a minute into the video and I also want to take (copy) a few short sections of the audio and insert them in different spots. Other than changing the volume level of the music at different points (which is explained pretty well in the Lynda.com tutorials), nothing really that fancy.

Thanks!

Edit: Oops! I just thought of another question: how do I convert the video file so I can play it on a Blu-Ray/DVD player and big screen TV? Right now, I can only play the DVD/video the skydiving folks sent to me on my PC.

Here is what P-Pro says about the file:

Name: "VTS_01__1.VOB

Movie, 740 x 480 (0.9091)

29.97 fps

480000 Hz-Compressed-Stereo

• 1. Re: Rookie needs rules of thumb re: P-Pro or Soundbooth to edit audio of a video?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

First, PrPro has some good and useful Audio Effects, and can edit a wide range of Audio. For everything else, there is SB, or Audition (added back to the suite in CS5.5). Your needs and desires will dictate where you do the Audio editing. I'd start with PrPro, and see if you can get what you want there. If not, take it to SB.

I would also convert your MP3 to PCM/WAV @ 48KHz 16-bit, as some MP3's just do not play nice. I do this for all MP3's, so never have an issue. Though MP3 is supported, and many users never have an issue, I just do an "end-run" to begin with.

That SD material is not going to yield good results with just a Scale to HD. I would look into processing it with a program, like Red Giant's Magic Bullet Instant HD, and see if you like the results.

Good luck, happy editing, and stay safe with the skydiving,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Rookie needs rules of thumb re: P-Pro or Soundbooth to edit audio of a video?
            The Un-dr. Level 1

Thanks for your response, Bill!

I expect my 5.5 upgrade in a few days, so it's good to hear Audition is  coming! (But now I have to forget what I learned in Soundbooth? ;-) )

I don't know how to convert an mp3 to PCM/WAV or even what that is (I do know what a .wav file is, however), but I'll look into it. But how can a mp3 go to a larger .wav file? I get how an .mp3 is made by reducing the samples and file size, but how can you go the other direction?

On the other hand, the "Instant HD" software you mentioned must be doing something similar with video in taking a smaller file and making it HD, right? So, does this mean I have to invest another $100 to make camcorder videos play on my Blu-Ray/DVD player? Dang, my wallet is gettin awful light these days, but it sure would be cool to watch my jump on the big screen, you know?! Will it look good after conversion or will it be a bit pixelated?

And don't worry about me: even though going skydiving again is all I think about (WARNING!: Like bungee jumping, it's habit forming!), that wallet I mentioned is keeping me safe and warm in front of my PC!

• 3. Re: Rookie needs rules of thumb re: P-Pro or Soundbooth to edit audio of a video?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

For the MP3 conversion, see this ARTICLE for a bit more background, and some tips.

With SB, and/or Audition, those programs should do what you want. If not, the great, free Audacity can.

Again, your MP3 might not cause ANY problems at all, but if it should, the easy fix is to convert.

Good luck,

Hunt