4 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2011 3:34 PM by the_wine_snob

Does Premiere Elements 9 support AVIs with H264 codec?

scott1956 Level 1

I have an inexpensive HD camcorder (Toshiba x100) that produces AVI files with the H264 codec. I am NOT able to bring these files into Premiere Pro 2.0 for editing, but don't want to spring for a Premiere upgrade right now.

Can I bring these H264 AVI files directly into Premiere Elements 9 for editing?

Thanks for your replies.

• 1. Re: Does Premiere Elements 9 support AVIs with H264 codec?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

So long as the H.264 CODEC is installed (usually via QT Player), and your camera has not tweaked it too much, things should work. If the mfgr. has tweaked the H.264, then they might supply their version.

Why the AVI wrapper was chosen is a bit odd, and might well point to H.264 tweaking inside that wrapper?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Does Premiere Elements 9 support AVIs with H264 codec?
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I also am concerned with H.264 AVIs. They may not go in Premiere Elements.

That camcorder shoots in a number of definitions -- from hi-def to 720p to standard def -- but none of them use video format Premiere Elements would likely be comfortable with.

I would be wary of these low-end hi-def camcorders. They often use non-standard formats and codecs (not all H.264 video is the same) that won't work in any video editor except what they give you with the program.

If you can't try before you buy, I'd recommend against it, if you plan to edit with Premiere Elements. Particularly since Toshiba is not noted for making camcorders.

It might be good though if you just plan to shoot your videos and then upload them directly to YouTube without editing though. (Note that one customer review indicated that he couldn't even work with the videos on -- or even view them -- on a Mac!)

• 3. Re: Does Premiere Elements 9 support AVIs with H264 codec?
              scott1956 Level 1

Well, since I already bought the camcorder, a test drive isn't an option. I am able to play these files in Windows Media Player, after downloading a codec pack, the name of which escapes me. But with Premiere Pro 2.0, it's a no-go as far as editing.

I suppose I should just download the free trial of Premiere Elements and give it a try. If I do that, I'll report back here with results.

• 4. Re: Does Premiere Elements 9 support AVIs with H264 codec?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Full HD support was not added to PrPro until CS3, so that PrPro 2.0 does not support those files is not a surprise to me.

Good luck,

Hunt