8 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2011 6:12 AM by Scott Chichelli

Raid and new build questions for CS 5.5 Pr and Ps

JKad Level 1

I am working on a new computer build and would appreciate your response and advise on a few things.  Background: I have CS5.5 Production Premium; I take a lot of pictures and have become interested in video recently; this is an avocation/hobby; most video will be from a Canon 7d; the computer will be used for other purposes Ps, word processing, etc. and not devoted strictly to Pr.  Nevertheless I would like a computer tht can handle video really well so I can learn that phase of photography and more about computers generally.  I've built every computer I've owned since IBM PC clones.  But things have changed since I took this leap and I'll certainly need better than my Core2 duo.

After a lot of reading and your posts on this forum, thisis what I'm considering:

Asus Rampage III Formula; I7 Gulftown 970; Gigabyte 480 or 570 overclocked video card; Corsair AX850 Gold power supply; Corsair DDR3 1600 6X4GB memory; LG Black 12X BD burner; Areca 1880i 8X Raid card; Cooler Master HAF 932 case; WD VelociRaptor 600GB for C:; Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB drives in pairs for D: and E:; D: and E: will each be Raid volumes driven by the Areca.

What do you think about the balance of these components?  What recommendations do you have?

I am unsure about Drive C:.  Would it be better to get another pair of Samsung's and Raid them for C:?  It would cost less and wouldn't it be faster?  What are the downsides (I suspect data integrity)?

About the Samsung's, they are 3GB/sec 32MB cache, would there be any advantage looking for 6GB/sec 64MB cache drives: If so, what would you recommend?

One last question: any recommendations for a CPU cooler?

Thanks in advance.  I've found this and some of the other Adobe forums to be invaluable.

• 1. Re: Raid and new build questions for CS 5.5 Pr and Ps
          Harm Millaard Level 7

For CPU cooler, look at the Cooler Master 212, the Noctua D14 or Prolimatech Megahelem.

For your boot disk, OS & programs you could look at the Samsung F4 320 GB. It makes no sense to waste money on a SSD with this system.

For the Areca, keep in mind the BBM (battery backup module) and possibly upgrading to either 2 or 4 GB cache.

I don't think you will notice any performance difference from SATA3 disks in comparison to SATA2 disks, especially not since they will be run off the Areca. If you want larger capacity and possibly larger cache on the disks, consider the Hitachi 7K3000 series with 2 or 3 TB capacity.

For the rest, it looks like a very nice system, well balanced and capable of achieving a top-20 rank in the PPBM benchmark very easily.

• 2. Re: Raid and new build questions for CS 5.5 Pr and Ps
            Scott Chichelli Level 3

why are you wasting money on the dedicated raid card?

not needed at all

Scott

ADK

• 3. Re: Raid and new build questions for CS 5.5 Pr and Ps
              JKad Level 1

Thanks for the response Harm.  I have been reading your posts and was hoping you would reply.

I need to do some more research on the CPU cooler.  I used Noctua's on my last three builds and was considering the NH-D14 along with the NH-C14 but I am not sure either one will clear the heat sinks around the CPU.  I suppose the Dremel is always an option.  I'll look at the others as well.

I think I may not have been clear on my question about the C: drive. I am staying away from the SSD's due to your counsel and, besides the expense, it seems this technology isn't mature enough for my taste.  However, since I have ports on the Areca, I was wondering if it would make any sense to Raid a pair of hard disks for the OS and programs?

I also need to look at the battery backup and what it actually does.  I am assuming that if I have a power loss that the battery backup will retain the data in the cache and allow a rebuild using that data.  If the system experiences a BSOD, will the battery backup similarly prevent ccorruption of data?  That's happened on my wife's computer due to conflicts with a video driver and the on-board Raid 10 has always recovered nicely.  I plan to get an external drive for backup but the battery backup for the Areca sounds like a great redundancy in any case.

I'll look at other hard disk options based on your suggestions as well.  For now, I don't really need larger capacity.  This system may not score up to its full potential since it will be a general purpose machine and not fine tuned but I'll give it a run on the benchmarks when done.  I've downloaded the file, read through the instructions and may even run it on my existing clunker (just for laughs).

• 4. Re: Raid and new build questions for CS 5.5 Pr and Ps
                JKad Level 1

Scott,

Why is the dedicated Raid card not needed?  Would you not expect to see a performance boost with the Raid card?

• 5. Re: Raid and new build questions for CS 5.5 Pr and Ps
                  Scott Chichelli Level 3

HI,

Unless you are doing a large raid 5,6 then no there will be no increase in performance vs onboard.

The only reason to buy a raid card is for a large raid array.

Onboard is capable of 2 sets raid 0 and is just as fast.

Don’t waste your money

Or buy into the hype you need an expensive raid card.

When you start doing pro level work and using a red cam then it might be time for a raid card...

Scott

ADK

• 6. Re: Raid and new build questions for CS 5.5 Pr and Ps
                    Not so Smart

Same question, but for CS5.  This is for my wife.  She shoots all in HD, produces mostly for the web, but does do work for some of the local news channels and produces lower budget commercials.

She really needs high quality tech support that can remotely connect and fix the crazy things she does to a computer, so I am steering away from building a system myself--I just dont have the time or patience to fix some of the things she does!

The link below is a quote I got, but it seems a little like overkill.  I just want some opinions on quality vs cost and the reputation of the builder if any of you have worked with them.  It certainly seems like it has enough power to giver her room to grow, but I dont know if we should go with something cheaper that we can upgrade later.

Thanks.

http://www.adkvideoediting.com/systems/system_review.cfm?saved_id=25480

• 7. Re: Raid and new build questions for CS 5.5 Pr and Ps
                      JKad Level 1

I have not personally ordered anything from ADK but some of their people are active on this forum and I believe are highly thought of.  I've found their advise to be valuable.

As to the system, it is much like one that I am building myself.  I am doing this to learn video editing and not as a profession.  I am also building the computer myself to get back up to speed as to some of the latest and greatest computer components.

My suggestion is to talk frankly with the people at ADK and work to get a system that meets your needs and budget.  It also never hurts to consider other vendors.  You may however get the best video editing system from these folks.

• 8. Re: Raid and new build questions for CS 5.5 Pr and Ps
                        Scott Chichelli Level 3

i hate the quoting ability (lack of) in this forum UGGHH

""""She shoots all in HD, produces mostly for the web, but does do work for some of the local news channels and produces lower budget commercials."""

define HD? if AVCHD then yes you need the raid 0's arrays for best work flow you can go to single drives but its not ideal and not saving much

""""

She really needs high quality tech support that can remotely connect and fix the crazy things she does to a computer,""""

this is why you buy from us!

""" -I just dont have the time or patience to fix some of the things she does!"""

LOL sounds like me, i make my wife call Eric so i dont have to support her, keeps harmony in the house..

""" but it seems a little like overkill.  .  It certainly seems like it has enough power to giver her room to grow, but I don't know if we should go with something cheaper that we can upgrade later""

well i think you would find most would recommend the 16gig ram for CS5 as well as the 4.5GHz.

you can drop down to a standard 2600 @ 3.4GHz. and drop the express pick up warranty especially if not on the west coast.

but overkill not at all. a dual Xeon would be overkill

a 8 drive raid 6 with raid card would be overkill.

a quadro card would be overkill.

really the best system for the $ and workflow..

Scott

ADK