30 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2011 12:40 PM by the_wine_snob

Import Slideshow from Organizer

likemovies Level 1

If I import a slideshow to Premiere Elements 9.0 from Organizer, will I then be able to insert a movie clip in the middle of it? Thank you.

• 1. Re: Import Slideshow from Organizer
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Yes, if you right-click on the slideshow file on your timeline and select the option to Break Apart Slideshow.

BTW, don't forget, before you create a slideshow to resize all of your photos to no larger than 1000x750 pixels in size, per my books and the FAQs to the right of this forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/431851?tstart=30

• 2. Re: Import Slideshow from Organizer
            likemovies Level 1

Thank you Steve, I will work on this and report. I really appreciate your help.

• 3. Re: Import Slideshow from Organizer
              likemovies Level 1

Oh, aside from 1000X750 pixels, should I also adjust the resolution to 150 px/inch or 72 px/inch or?

• 4. Re: Import Slideshow from Organizer
                nealeh Level 5

Pixels per inch is meaningless in video.

Cheers,
                --
                Neale
                Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 5. Re: Import Slideshow from Organizer
                  Barb__O Level 4

I am wondering -

1-- what will be the output format for this slideshow (with video) ?

My concern is that if the output format will be an HD resolution then the photo resolution dimensions of 1000 x 750 will be too low. I just hate to have someone go through the effort to resize only to learn that resizing of all the photo files must be done again because of a factor that was originally unknown.

Of course, if the output will be to a standard def DVD, then yes those dimensions are good.

2-- also,

I suggest that the format (codec) of the video which will be added in Premiere Elements should be discussed because I suspect that it could impact what is the best Premiere Elements project setting. Perhaps posting the camera that took the video will be a good start if the format/codec is not known.

Steve and Neale,

Please do continue to participate in this thread because I doubt that I will know all the considerations for Premiere Elements.

• 6. Re: Import Slideshow from Organizer
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Barb O,

1-- what will be the output format for this slideshow (with video) ?

My concern is that if the output format will be an HD resolution then the photo resolution dimensions of 1000 x 750 will be too low. I just hate to have someone go through the effort to resize only to learn that resizing of all the photo files must be done again because of a factor that was originally unknown.

Very good and important point.

Years ago, I did my Large Still Images article, and focused on SD sizes, as that was the norm. HD was just about to get started. In no time, I had to attach addenda, to cover HD. Will probably have to do similar, if 2K, and 4K footage gains ground. As Projects' Frame Sizes increase, so should the stills' dimensions to match.

Thank you,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Import Slideshow from Organizer
                      likemovies Level 1

Thank you all I am continuing to work on this. Thanks for the tip about px size, I did read Steve's recommendation in

his book about increasing it for HD.

I do have a question about the slideshow in Organizer: I have set the slides to Pan and Zoom but would like for Organizer to set up a random pattern for pan and zoom instead of repeating the same one. Is it possible? I know I can change each individually but hope to avoid that.

Thanks!

• 8. Re: Import Slideshow from Organizer
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

I have to admit that I do not use Organizer for SlideShows (I do all of mine in PrPro manually), but I thought that one did have the capability to do Random Pan & Zoom. However, I could be thinking of that feature in Adobe Encore, and could just be confused. I do know that others, with more knowledge will be able to address your request.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Import Slideshow from Organizer
                          Barb__O Level 4

likemovies,

What format are your video files ? What codec and/or from what camcorder are these video files ?

The reason that I am asking is that I think you will want to :

1 -- set the project type in Premiere Elements based on the format of your video files

2 -- that you will want to set the PE project type and open the PE project before you do the Edit in Premiere Elements command for the Organizer slide show.

FYI -

In the Elements Organizer slide show, there is an option to apply pan and zoom to all slides. Is that what you have specified ? I choose to do pans and zooms individually, so that is not something that I use so I can't really say if it will accomplish what you want. I can only suggest that you experiment.

General recommendation --

Start with a small pilot video using a few of your representative photos and a couple of video files. Take that project all the way to completion including creating your final intended output format from Premiere Elements.  Then evaluate and perhaps experiment with what you might want to do differently.

• 10. Re: Import Slideshow from Organizer
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

I choose to do pans and zooms individually, so that is not something that I use...

Barb O,

That is also how I approach the Pans & Zooms. I come from a still background, and treat each image as unique. The chances that any Preset, or automation, could pick my idea of the subject of any image is zero. Also, my "subject" is likely to be almost anywhere BUT the center of the Frame. I do each by hand, so have never bothered with the Random Pan & Zoom in Encore.

Also, I feel that one needs a reason to Pan & Zoom, and avoid them, just to have something happening on the screen. If I have done my job as a photographer, and there is nothing to be gained with a Pan, or a Zoom, the audience should still find a lot of interest, though the image is static.

Just thinking here,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Import Slideshow from Organizer
                              likemovies Level 1

Hi Barb and Bill,

Yes I agree setting Pan and Zoom is ideal. However, this is for an elementary school project with hundreds of photos from different sources (parents of a classroom). I'll check the pan/zoom after they are in PrE, then just reset key or unusual photos individually.

With organizing the number of photos, the differences in sources and resolution, and the fact I am going to add some video after makes it challenging for me. To get the right resolution, set the pans, add transitions, and make sure it all renders correctly, then burns correctly to multiple DVD copies, well you get the picture. The assistance I have received here is tremendous and has already been a great help.

Barb, I already ran a mini version as you suggested. Great idea. It all seemed okay. The only hitch I hit was I rendered by burning to folder, then tried to copy the TS Video Folder to my DVD (as instructed by Steve and Bill). Windows (XP) could not do it by copy and paste. I used Roxio Drag and Drop, and it worked but it definitely took a while to chug along with even this small file. I hope the actual project which will be quite large will do fine.

Any more tips or caveats are appreciated. I really appreciate your help and cordiality!

• 12. Re: Import Slideshow from Organizer
                                Barb__O Level 4
                                I hope the actual project which will be quite large will do fine.

Because of that comment, I suspect that it would be beneficial for you to post some approximate numbers -- My concern is that your project within the Organizer slide show could become too large for the resources of your specific PC to process and that you will need to work as multiple projects which you combine at the end.

1 -- first, for the entire project, approximately how many photos will be used (estimate is fine but it needs to be more precise than "hundreds)?  and what is the typical display duration you chose for each photo ? What is the approx duration of the video which you will add to the project in Premiere Elements?

2 -- You said that your final output will be a standard definition DVD. For the small test that you did, approximately how many photos and approx how long is the video used here. What is the approximate play time duration of the final ouput ?

3 -- describe the configuration of your PC hardware (processor, RAM,  video card, hard drives, DVD burner) plus the amount of currently  available space on each hard drive

4 -- the format(s) of the video files that you will add in Premiere Elements is still a question in my mind.  In fact your references to how many sources (the parents) make me concerned that you will have multiple types (formats) of video files.

Steve, Neale, Bill -- please comment  --

-- For the specific question of why the long processing using Roxio after completing the Burn to a Folder in Premiere Elements, I don't know.

-- Anything else that I missed in the questions above.

• 13. Re: Import Slideshow from Organizer
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Barb O,

If one has done a Burn to Folder, then the actual burn time would be predicated on the software used, the burn speed*, and the computer.

I do not use Roxio, but instead the great, free ImgBurn, an on either the laptop, or the workstation, the times are very quick. Transcoding to the VIDEO_TS is by far the longest aspect of the process.

Hunt

* I strongly recommend two things, and both for playability of the DVD: burn at less than max speed (ImgBurn allows for this, but PrE does not), and then to use the best blank media, which would be Verbatim, or Taiyo-Yuden, and never Memorex, recent TDK or Ritek, and never any "store brands."

• 14. Re: Import Slideshow from Organizer
                                    nealeh Level 5

I'm with Bill on this - use ImgBurn. Roxio itself is an OK piece of software, but I'm concerned by the comment that 'Roxio Drag & Drop' was installed and used. These packet writing components (Drag & Drop in Roxio, InCD in Nero) are dreadful. They can bring other applications with disk writing capabilities to their (figurative) knees, are unreliable in use and the disks they create are very fussy and may not be easily readable in any drive other than the one in which they were created.

Summary -

• Uninstall Drag & Drop component
                                    • Use ImgBurn to write that folder to disk at no more than x4 speed.

Cheers,
                                    --
                                    Neale

• 15. Re: Import Slideshow from Organizer
                                      likemovies Level 1

Hi, thank you. I downloaded ImgBurn. Should I uninstall Roxio?

THX!

• 16. Re: Import Slideshow from Organizer
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Roxio, per se, is not a bad app.. What IS a problem, however, is the packet-writing/drag and drop, DLA (and InCD with Nero), as they hook the burner at boot up. I also do not like the "watcher" sub-apps., that each can install, but that is me.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 17. Re: Import Slideshow from Organizer
                                          likemovies Level 1

Hi Barb,

Okay, I think I assembled the information.

1) I will be using approximately 300 photos, duration will be 3 - 4 seconds. I will down res them (in PS9) prior to importing to PrE. I will also add approximately 20-25 video clips (5-10secs each). These clips come from a Nikon P300 shot in HD 1280X720  60fps.

2) The test clip was about ten photos and one video clip 8sec, and the entire thing was about 50 seconds.

3) My PC is an XP machine, 2GB RAM, Optiarc DVD writer AD-7200S, a 300GB HD with 150GB available. I also have a second HD 180GB most available. The video cards are a Nvidia GeForce, either a  8400GS or 9300GE depending on monitor).

4) The photos will all be jpegs. The video only comes from me. Please forgive me if I am not completely understanding the questions. Thanks so much. skim

• 18. Re: Import Slideshow from Organizer

So is your slideshow for a BluRay disc or for a DVD? In other words, will your final output be hi-def or standard definition video?

Have you considered working on your project in smaller pieces -- say, creating short slideshows of 50 photos each and then using Share/Computer/AVI to output each as video, combining them all in a final mixdown?

Your biggest problem is going to be that video from a still camera. You do NOT want to mix it in with other video or with the photos in your slideshow in its raw state, directly from the camera. What you need to do with it first depends on where you ultimately plan to display your video.

• 19. Re: Import Slideshow from Organizer
                                              likemovies Level 1

Hi Steve,

The final product will be a DVD which I will make multiple copies for each parent.

There will be six sections to the final video, each containing 40 or so photos and 2 -3 videos. If you recommend making each into an AVI, I can do that, then combine after.  What specific problems will I face otherwise? Render crashing or poor output quality?

I don't know understand the "don't use video in it's raw state". Can you tell me the problem, and how you would recommend approaching this? Edit and render to wmv or mpeg first?

In short, I am trying to make a DVD that will have six chapters or 40 photos and 2-3 video clips each. I'm guessing about 20 minutes long in its entirety for and end of year school video. I'm guessing it's this mixing of video and photos which is the problem? I made a video previously which was 90% video and 10% photos which turned out fine (MPEG uploaded to web). Is the problem I have so many photos this time?

If someone can outline a workflow for me, it would really help. Sorry I don't understand all this, thanks so much for your help. skim

• 20. Re: Import Slideshow from Organizer
                                                nealeh Level 5

No, just the Drag and Drop component. These have changed name over the years but for Roxio it's likely to be one of DLA, Drag and Drop, or Drag to Disk.

Cheers,
                                                --
                                                Neale

• 21. Re: Import Slideshow from Organizer
                                                  Barb__O Level 4

Hi again likemovies,

Thanks for your answers to my questions and your additional reponse to Steve's question saying that your output will be a standard definition DVD.

It is good that your video clips are all from the same camera

Nikon P300 shot in HD 1280X720  60fps

Yes, I was concerned about possible crashes during rendering.  The quality of the final ouput is also a consideration -- however, that concern is decreased I think based on your successful results from the test clip.

-- I am anxious to see Steve's recommendation for the best Prem Elem project setting for your video type.

What PE project setting did you use for your test project ?

-- Yes I do think that making separate PE projects for parts and then combining in a final PE project will be a recommendation. However, how many sub-projects and what their contents shoud be be is another area where I would like to see recommendations from Steve or Neale or Bill Hunt.

referencing --

likemovies wrote:

Hi Barb,

Okay, I think I assembled the information.

1) I will be using approximately 300 photos, duration will be 3 - 4 seconds. I will down res them (in PS9) prior to importing to PrE. I will also add approximately 20-25 video clips (5-10secs each). These clips come from a Nikon P300 shot in HD 1280X720  60fps.

2) The test clip was about ten photos and one video clip 8sec, and the entire thing was about 50 seconds.

3) My PC is an XP machine, 2GB RAM, Optiarc DVD writer AD-7200S, a 300GB HD with 150GB available. I also have a second HD 180GB most available. The video cards are a Nvidia GeForce, either a  8400GS or 9300GE depending on monitor).

4) The photos will all be jpegs. The video only comes from me. Please forgive me if I am not completely understanding the questions. Thanks so much. skim

• 22. Re: Import Slideshow from Organizer

I don't know if Premiere Elements can work with that video format from that still camera, unfortunately.

Have you tried a program like Super to see if it can convert the video to DV-AVIs, per the FAQs to the right of this forum?

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317?tstart=0

If it doesn't work, it might be worth investing in Quicktime Pro ($29 from Apple) which should be able to convert this video into DV-AVIs.

As for the photos, if you output the slideshow as short clips, per my recommendation above, and convert the video using Quicktime Pro, you should then be able to mix all of these videos in a standard DV project and produce a very nice DVD.

• 23. Re: Import Slideshow from Organizer
                                                      likemovies Level 1

I'm sorry Steve, I don't understand. I've used video from this particular camera before and was able to make some nice movies. I rendered them as MPEG, WMA, and also DVI (which was huge!). I'm not sure if you are talking about another format or technical issue. Thanks!

• 24. Re: Import Slideshow from Organizer
                                                        likemovies Level 1

Bill another question: What's the difference in Imgburn between "Write File...." and "Create Image File..." ?

• 25. Re: Import Slideshow from Organizer
                                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

An Image file is an ISO. Think of it as a kind of ZIP file, with the VIDEO_TS folder (and its files) inside. One can transport that ISO file, can Burn to Disk in a program, like ImgBurn, or play it with either mounting software, or VLC Player.

Burn Folder to Disk is straightforward, and will burn the VIDEO_TS folder and its contained files, to Disk.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 26. Re: Import Slideshow from Organizer
                                                            likemovies Level 1

I wanted to note that my camera's video format is MPEG-4, H264. Should I still do a conversion to DV-AVI?

• 27. Re: Import Slideshow from Organizer
                                                              Barb__O Level 4

likemovies wrote:

I wanted to note that my camera's video format is MPEG-4, H264. Should I still do a conversion to DV-AVI?

I posted again in order to keep this question alive.

Steve, Bill Hunt and Neale,

Please comment on

-- whether you think each H.264 clip should be converted to DV-AVI before placing in the Premiere Elements time line ?

OR

-- whether since the small test of partial input was successful, it will probably be OK to use the H.264 clips in that format ? If yes, what should the PremiereElements project setting be ?

Nikon P300 shot in HD 1280X720  60fps  --    H264

FYI - My understanding is that the final output is a DVD (standard def)

likemovies,

I am thinking that with approx 300 pictures total p[lus your video clips, it be better that you make each chapter as a separate Prem Elem project and then combine at the end.  WHY - improve the odds that you do nto exhaust the resources of your computer .

• 28. Re: Import Slideshow from Organizer
                                                                likemovies Level 1

Thank you Barb. When you say "combine at the end" do you mean combine the .prel files (pre-rendered) or post-rendered (dvi, mpeg, h.264 etc).

• 29. Re: Import Slideshow from Organizer
                                                                  Barb__O Level 4

likemovies wrote:

Thank you Barb. When you say "combine at the end" do you mean combine the .prel files (pre-rendered) or post-rendered (dvi, mpeg, h.264 etc).

well, what I was thinking

was to output (share) each chapter from its separate Prem Elem project as an NTSC DV-AVI (widescreen probably),  then make a new Prem Elem project where you add each of those chapter DV-AVI files to the Timeline and create the video DVD (perhaps initially a Burn to Folder).   

However, I think that this idea of making several individual PE projects and then combining to a single PE project originally came from Steve, so I would rather have him identify the specifics.

• 30. Re: Import Slideshow from Organizer
                                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Barb O,

As PrE does not allow the direct Import of one Project (or more) into a separate Project, the individual, smaller Projects must be Shared/Exported to discrete AV files. Those would then be Imported into a "master" Project for final assembly and Export/Share, to say BD, DVD or to a combined AV file.

Hope that helps,

Hunt