Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash Player 10.3 and Internet Explorer 9 update and workarounds

Adobe Employee ,
May 17, 2011 May 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Flash Player community,

We are tracking the issues being reported on Flash Player 10.3.181.14 and Internet Explorer 9 and actively investigating them.  Users are reporting that Flash content is being displayed in the upper left corner of the screen.  We want to give those who are encountering these issues an update.

First, we apologize to everyone affected.  We know you count on Flash Player as an integral component of the web and we strive for high quality and performance in each release.  We are actively looking into the root cause of this issue.  Thanks to many of you submitting information via email and our online bug database, we now have some solid leads we are pursuing.

Flash Player 10 and later can use your system’s graphics hardware to accelerate video decoding, and can also accelerate video presentation on some sites. Starting with Flash Player 10.2, Flash Player will also take advantage of hardware accelerated graphics in Internet Explorer 9, utilizing hardware rendering surfaces to improve graphics performance.

With Flash Player 10.3.181.14, reports indicate that systems with Intel HD Graphics adapters running Internet Explorer 9 are the only systems impacted by this particular bug.  If you are encountering this issue and have a different configuration we'd love to hear from you.  Please review the instructions on this page for details on generating the information we'll need for further investigation.

Solution #1

Adobe has officially released Flash Player 10.3.181.16 for Internet Explorer to address the graphical issues introduced in 10.3.181.14.  You can get this release by visiting our official download page, directly downloading and running the installer file, or using the Flash Player auto update mechanism.

After installing, we recommend you re-enable hardware acceleration if you had it previously disabled.  We also recommend you clear your browser cache and restart your system.

If you continue to encounter issues, please create a new thread and we'll do our best to investigate further.

Solution #2

On some systems, you may be able to resolve this issue by updating the Intel HD Graphics drivers. It has been reported that driver versions 8.15.10.2361 and above do not exhibit this bug. Unfortunately, some systems might require updates directly from your system manufacturer. We’re working with system manufacturers to make sure they include the latest drivers in future releases.

Solution #3

You can disable hardware acceleration in Internet Explorer 9 using the instructions on this page. Please note that you should re-enable hardware acceleration once this problem has been resolved to enjoy the full benefits of hardware acceleration.

Thank you,

The Flash Player team

Update 5/20/11 - We've temporarily disabled the automatic update notification for Flash Player 10.3 and Internet Explorer.  We're making progress on a fix and hope to have a new version available next week.

Update 5/24/11 - Added link to the 10.3.181.15 test update

Update 5/27/11 - Added instructions for post install of 10.3.181.15

Update 5/31/11 - Updated thread with the official 10.3.181.16 announcement

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 148 Replies 148
New Here ,
May 18, 2011 May 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

My experience with the 10.3 update had to do with FireFox 4 (and other say Chrome does he same thing!

I installed the 10.3 update and then could only see a white (or in a few cases, black) spot where the video was supposed to be. I was able to hear the audio and click the place where the video was supposed to be and pause it. It was weird! even YouTube video and other content that used Flash Player could not be seen. I either had to logon to my old computer (which I know has a virus and Trojan, so I thought it went through the network to my new computer.

After 4-5 days of trying to find a virus, trojan, bug, etc., I finally went to this forum and found out thatt there were many peole with the same problem, helping me realize it wasn't my computer, it was the update!

Any information as to when 10.3 willl be fixed so this doesn't happen would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Tim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tim,

Does it make any difference if you disable hardware acceleration via step one on this help page?  Would you mind sending me (ccampbel@adobe.com) a copy of your dxdiag report and a sample URL so I can forward them off to our video team for further review?

Thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris,

I disabled and at first, it seemed to work.  went to www.azcardinals.com, started a video, maxed the window then reduced it and the problem seems to be back.  when i open a new browser, it seems to work at first.  some sites seem ok but this one i found to have issues.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob,

What did you disable?  Are you refering to the IE9 bug from the original post?  Do you mind sending me a copy of your dxdiag report and a recap of what's occuring on your system?

Thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris - I selected "Use Software Rendering instead of GPU Rendering" as I understood this disabled the hardware acceleration.

Attached is my dxdiag report.

Essentially the flash objects appear in upper left corner, overlays other sites menu bars, etc. when I selected the option described above, it seems like the media plays ok. When I went to azcardinals.com and played the video, maxed the size of the video window then reduced it, the media went back up to the upper left while the controls remained in the center of the screen as well as a snapshot of the video (not sure that makes sense - see screen shot)

Really appreciate your help –

1. Flash object in upper left corner, flickers, jumps

2. Selecting “Use software rendering…” option in IE Advanced Options – flash/video appears ok in center where it should be

3. Video starts ok in center – white screen in back but at least video is in right place

4. When I maximize video window then reduce, the object moves back to upper left while controls are in center as well as snapshot image from video.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2011 May 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

chris.campbell wrote:

Hi Tim,

Does it make any difference if you disable hardware acceleration via step one on this help page?  Would you mind sending me (ccampbel@adobe.com) a copy of your dxdiag report and a sample URL so I can forward them off to our video team for further review?

Thanks,

Chris

Chris,

Sorry, I have been really sick for the last week!

I did not see your message before I restored my computer to an earlier dat, before I installed the 10.3 update. I wish I would have, or maybe not, not sure how much 'hardware acceleration' affects the browser/internet/computer.

I know there are many other people with the same problem when using FireFox 4, so I imagine by now you have the information you were asking for.

Once again, sorry I wasn't able to help!

Tim

P.S. Sice you disabled the 10.3 automatic update does that mean when we see it the issue will be fixed? If so, will it tell us which browsers it will work for or will it not be released until all issues are fixed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One problem is that we need a way to make the installer for 10.2 not force you to download 10.3, rendering the installer for 10.2 ineffective

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GeoffreyStarr wrote:

One problem is that we need a way to make the installer for 10.2 not force you to download 10.3, rendering the installer for 10.2 ineffective

I haven't seen this occur.  Did you follow the manual uninstall procedure I linked to?  I should have specified this originally, but when you download the .zip archive, you'll want to install the "fp_10.2.159.1_archive\10_2r159_1\flashplayer10_2r159_1_winax.exe" file.

While we don't recommend disabling automatic update notification, this can be done by following the instructions at: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/713/a7138026.html

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob,

I believe file attachments are disabled in this forum.  Would you mind emailing me at ccampbel@adobe.com?

Thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2011 May 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's all well and good advising people to roll back flash player to a previous version, but that doesn't work, as  it says there is a newer version and refuses to download it, I have had to reinstall the latest version which has resulted in the accelerated  graphics tab being blocked in internet options. Is this your doing?  if so I don't think you should be meddling with the settings without first telling people as I use the GPU rendering in another programme and it is now unuseable Or is it another problem to be resolved?

Anyway best of luck in sorting things, these things are sent to try us.   Steve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about this?

2 PC:

1 - Old desktop amd athlon x2 cpu, vga radeon hd4830 (win 7 x32)

2 - New Dell notebook intel i5 cpu, vga intel hd 3000, nvidia gt525m (win 7 x32)

IE9 (software rendering unchecked) -> Newest flash player version 10.3.181.14 -> youtube -> right mouse click -> "show video info" -> "accelerated video rendering" only if I press Full screen before flash starts. If after only show "undefined" or "software" video  rendering.

With  "accelerated video rendering" in Full screen press esc, again Full screen checking "show video info" only  "undefined" or "software" video  rendering. WHY?

With new Dell notebook Optimus technology work, when flash starts, nvidia gpu ON.

The same thing happening and with Opera 11.10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi MaestroWS,

The behavior you describe is a different issue than my original post.  The results you describe are specific to YouTube and Flash Player's stage video technology.  Just to be clear, are you saying that you don't see the same behavior between the two systems?  Is system #2 always displaying "accelerated video rendering" regardless of the window mode?

Thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same behavior on the two systems. Dell IE9, old AMD PC with IE9 and Opera.

"Accelerated" only in "Full screen" if lucky to press fast button "Full screen".

Something wrong is with stage video technology ?

Maybe behavior "content is being displayed in the upper left corner of the screen" is affected by this  "stage video technology" behavior?

Full Accelerated   http://www.ipix.lt/images/50072108.jpg

Undefined            http://www.ipix.lt/images/79758746.jpg

Full Undefined     http://www.ipix.lt/images/67547272.jpg

To view full size images right mouse click on image link and open in new tab.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2011 May 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://www.youtube.com/embed/XSGBVzeBUbk?wmode=direct <-  embed  wmode=direct

Opera 11.10 with this flash all OK, "accelarated video rendering" with Full screen or nofull.

IE9  - "accelarated video rendering" only in Full screen, nofull - "undifined".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSGBVzeBUbk

IE9, Opera - "accelerated video rendering" only if I press Full screen before flash starts. If after only show "undefined" or "software" video  rendering.

Embed, wmode=direct - flash OK.

Why, another flash not work well?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi MaestroWS,

From my understanding, the accelerated vs software vs undefined video rendering issue on YouTube is a deliberate decision on their part.  What you get will, from what I can tell, depend on the browser, OS, and window type (fullscreen, window, etc.)  We're continuing to work with them to improve the experience.

I believe the video status breaks down like this:

undefined = standard video object

software = stage video with software decoding

accelerated = stage video with hardware decoding

Thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've downloaded and saved the Flash Player 10.2 and still nothing... video still not working

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Allbrave: please start your own topic, and give all information about your environment - operating system & version, browser & version, and the full Flash Player version you have.

Also describe exactly what you are seeing when you try to view a video; "not working" means nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow...my IE9 pages are all screwed up--moving any flash asset to the upper left quadrant of my screen.  Guess I'm going to have to stop accepting all the annoying popups to install yet another version of the flash player.  Please get this fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FOR THOSE RUNNING IE9 ON WINDOWS 7 AND HAVE INSTALLED THE AUTOMATIC UPDATE FOR ADOBE FLASH PLAYER 10.3 - TAKE THE FOLLOWING STEPS:

Open IE9 Browser window > Click on "Tools" > Click on "Internet Options" > Selct the "Advanced" Tab > Turn on/Click the "Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering" > Click "Apply" > Click "OK" > Shut down and then restart your IE9 browser.

THIS WILL BE A TEMPORARY FIX FOR ANY ISSUES YOU MAY HAVE WITH THE CONSTANT FLOOD OF FLASHING ADS AND THE LIKE UNTIL A PATCH IS MADE AVAILABLE FOR THIS UPDATE.

OTHER QUICK FIXES WOULD INCLUDE:

1) UN-INSTALLING 10.3 AND RE-DOWNLOADING AND INSTALLING 10.2 FOR THE TIME BEING. **BE SURE TO AVOID RE-INSTALLING THE AUTOMATIC UPDATE OF 10.3 AGAIN**

2) DOWNLOADING AND INSTALLING "MOZILLA FIREFOX" AND USING IT AS YOUR WEB BROWSER!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2011 May 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EUREKA .That worked!! .It does seem to slow the system down a little, but it's way better than that flashing around the screen all the time .Thank You .You f genius

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not noticed any slowdown with the patched version I am testing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may be just a little impatent now that it is working properly .But thats me .Allso my hot key volume control isn't working .But that may be totally unrelated.I did have to uninstall Adobe F P and restore from backup files .And that allways causes some glitches wich I will have to fix .Thanks for keeping me in the loop .I will look forward to a permanent solution to our problem. Steven H Anderson.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I really must remember to use Spellchecker .Impatient not impatent

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had gone back to ver 10.2 when this problem surfaced.  When I got the patched file to test late yesterday, I used the uninstall program Chris linked to in his opening post and uinstalled ver FP 10.2.  I rebooted the PC and installed the patched version of FP 10.3.  Both steps went smoothly, no errors or problems.

My laptop has dedicated volume/mute buttons and those are still working.  So far, I have not experienced any "new" problems with the patched FP 10.3.

Message was edited by: nikki605 - fixed typo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines