9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2013 2:43 PM by Rich Oren

spark BusyIndicator on desktop

m1kal_ Level 2

Hi,

I'm wondering why s:BusyIndicator (http://help.adobe.com/en_US/FlashPlatform/reference/actionscript/3/spark/components/BusyIn dicator.html) is only available for mobile flex project?

Thanks in advance

Mich

• 1. Re: spark BusyIndicator on desktop
          isabelle loyer

Hi,

On Air, I use busycursor with httpservice and datagrid.

As my app has no chrome and it's transparent busycursor not appear.

So I use this tip

wMyWindowt.cursorManager.setBusyCursor();

Perhaps you can try that?

Best regard

• 2. Re: spark BusyIndicator on desktop
            m1kal_ Level 2

Hi Isabelle,

Thanks for your (quick) answer. I'm aware of the busy indicator of the mouse cursor but it is not what I meant.

My need is to display a busy indicator (a rotating spinner) in an AIR desktop app when long-running operation are on going.

In the past, I developped such kind of indicator in AS3, which I've ported to flex in order to use it Flex apps as a UIComponent. I'm still using it in my applications (flex 4.5) and it works great.

But from my point of view, I prefer to use components from the SDK (so I don't need to maintain it, check for performances, and so on...)

So I was happy to discover that Flex 4.5 provides a BusyIndicator (http://help.adobe.com/en_US/FlashPlatform/reference/actionscript/3/spark/components/BusyIn dicator.html) which, from the doc, is available in a AIR runtime.

But it only seems to be available in a flex mobile project and not a flex AIR desktop project. I've copied the component to my Flex AIR project and it seems to work fine.

So I was wondering why this component is not available in a Flex AIR desktop project (performance issue, is it a mistake, ....?) and why the documentation is not saying it.

Mich

• 3. Re: spark BusyIndicator on desktop
              FTQuest Level 3

I second the original question.

FTQuest

• 4. Re: spark BusyIndicator on desktop
                Shongrunden Adobe Employee

BusyIndicator is currently in the mobilecomponents.swc which isn't included in a default desktop Flex project.  You can add that swc (/path/to/flex/sdk/frameworks/libs/mobile/mobilecomponents.swc) to your desktop project to give you access to it.

Please vote for this enhancement to have it moved to spark.swc so it is available in both desktop and mobile projects by default: http://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/SDK-29960

• 5. Re: spark BusyIndicator on desktop
                  FTQuest Level 3

Thank you, Steven.

I already use it in my web application by copying BusyIndicator.as and making it a custom class that uses the same BusyIndicator.png.

Works fine.

Igor Borodin

• 6. Re: spark BusyIndicator on desktop
                    tehxike1 Level 1

That jira has been closed (deferred).  Every Jira I've ever submitted that has gone into the closed (deferred) state hasn't made it back.  I had no idea it was a mobile-only component- I assumed it was delayed at the last minute from the release.

• 7. Re: spark BusyIndicator on desktop
                      Shongrunden Adobe Employee

The best thing you can do to improve the chances of a deferred bug getting fixed is to get other Flex developers to vote for it in JIRA and/or let Flex product management know that the bug is important to you.

• 8. Re: spark BusyIndicator on desktop
                        tehxike1 Level 1

Yes, but sometimes an issue doesn't impact many other developers, so it's hard to get traction.  I have one (SDK-28706) that has 3 voters and is simply "change a single method from private to protected".  Closed/deferred.  It's frustrating.  Sorry to hijack this thread.

• 9. Re: spark BusyIndicator on desktop
                          Rich Oren

All you really have to do is open the Busyindicator in Flex  ( Adobe Flash Builder 4.7/sdks/4.6.0/frameworks/projects/mobilecomponents/src/spark/components/BusyIndicator.as ) and Save the File somewhere in your project. Then update line 12 to point to the location of the Package.

package yourlocation.folder

{

Then Embed the MXML into your app. Thats it. No other code changes unless you need something special.

Here is what I used:

<control:BusyIndicator width="100" height="100" />

Hope this helps!

-Rich